Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hammock vs Tent Price / Weight Comparison

Hammock vs Tent Price / Weight Comparison

On this post, I thought I would do a purely "by the numbers" comparison of tents vs hammocks. I will leave all the subjective ideas such as comfort and convenience to the reader. Hopefully, with these numbers, you will be able to ask "is this price or weight difference worth ... _______?"
    I know such comparisons have been done before, but they always seem to be comparing apples and oranges. I kept thinking, "they should be comparing that tent to this hammock setup..." So, I thought maybe I would give this a try.

As usual, the hammock setups are the extremely tricky part. As everyone on this forum knows, there are a ton of options for hammock setups and I freely admit there was some personal preference that went into some of these selections. For example, I exclusively stuck with 11ft hammocks knowing that you can easily go lighter with 8ft or 9ft hammocks. However, I believe that for most people (not all) to get a good night sleep, a 10.5ft to 11ft hammock is necessary. Also, you will see that I used a lot of gear from Dutchware (DW) and Hammock Gear (HG). This is because I believe they have some of the best price to weight ratios, as well as good quality.

Other vendors I know of, but did not include because of cost or weight: Warbonnet, Dream Hammocks, Jacks R Better, Arrowhead Equipment, Enlightened Equipment, etc.

I am both a hammocker and a tent backpacker. Usually, I hammock when solo or with my friends and I use a tent when backpacking with my wife. Here is how I usually think about the comparison in terms of cost / weight:

Tent = Hammock + Suspension + Tarp
    Sleeping pad = Underquilt

I have broken it down into three categories: Spared No Expense (money is no object), Mid Level (under $400), and Budget (under $200). For each category I have given an example of a potential gear list. Many of these components could be swapped for other brands of equivalent price to weight ratio.

Assumptions:
    - The same top quilt used in a tent will be used in the hammock. Therefore, when comparing the two, weight and cost cancel out.
    - Designed for protection from both the elements and bugs. Sorry ground tarp people, this is not for you.
    - 3 Season use
    - 10.5 ft to 11ft hammock necessary for decent night sleep
    - Hex tarps necessary for solid 3 season use
    - Tents have full rain flys

Tent (Spared No Expense $$$$):

Zpacks Plexamid: 14.8oz, $550
    10 shepherd hook titanium stakes - 2.33 oz - $25
    Thermarest neoair xlite Regular: 12.3 oz, $170
    Top quilt: same as hammock, weight cost cancel out

Weight of Tent + Stakes: 17.13 oz (1.07 lbs)
    Weight of Tent + Sleeping Pad + Stakes: 29.5 oz (1.85 lbs)

Cost of Tent + stakes: $575
    Cost of Tent + stakes + Sleeping Pad: $745

Hammock (Spared No Expense $$$$):

DW 11ft Netless Hexon 1.0 w/ Knotty Mod - 7.4 oz, $65
    DW Bottom entry Bugnet (Fronkey) - 6 oz, $57
    UHMWPE Huggers 5ft w/ Dutch clip - 1.6oz, $32
    Whoopie Slings 7/64 amsteel pair - 1 oz, $16
    Whoopie hooks pair - .25 oz, $16
    Hammock Gear Dyneema tarp with doors 11 ft. - 7.3 oz , $315
    Continous Ridgline with wasp for tarp from DW - 1.1 oz, $32
    6 shepherd hook titanium stakes - 1.4 oz - $15
    Tieouts for tarp, six - .5 oz, $20
    HG Premium Phoenix 3/4 under quilt, 20 degree - 15.4 oz $200
    Top quilt: same as tent, weight cost cancel out

Weight of Tarp + Hammock: 26.6 oz (1.66 lbs)
    Weight of Tarp + Hammock + UQ: 42 oz. (2.63 lbs)

Cost of Tarp + Hammock: $568
    Cost of Tarp + Hammock + UQ: $768

Tent (mid level - under $400):

Nemo Hornet 2P: 37oz, $275
    REI Co-op Flash Sleeping pad: 15 oz, $100
    Top quilt: same as hammock, weight cost cancel out

Weight of Tent : 37 oz (2.31 lbs)
    Weight of Tent + Sleeping Pad: 52 oz (3.25 lbs)

Cost of Tent : $275
    Cost of Tent + Sleeping Pad: $375

Hammock (mid level - under $400):

DW 11ft Netless Hexon 1.0 w/ ridgline - 7.1 oz, $50
    DW Bottom entry Bugnet (Fronkey) - 6 oz, $57
    DW June Bug Buckle pair - 1.3 oz, $12
    DW Carabiner pair - 1.5 oz, $10
    DW Polyester Straps pair 12ft - 5.2oz, $10
    Hammock Gear Quest 2 11 ft. - 13.4 oz , $80
    Continous Ridgline with wasp for tarp from DW - 1.1 oz, $32
    6 shepherd hook titanium stakes - 1.4 oz - $15
    HG Tieouts for tarp, six - .5 oz, $20
    HG Economy Phoenix 3/4 under quilt, 20 degree - 17.6 oz $110
    Top quilt: same as tent, weight cost cancel out

Weight of Tarp + Hammock: 37.5 oz (2.34 lbs)
    Weight of Tarp + Hammock + UQ: 55.1 oz (3.44 lbs)

Cost of Tarp + Hammock: $286 +
    Cost of Tarp + Hammock + UQ: $396

I am going to play fast and loose with the budget section. There are waaaayyyy to many options and personal preference trade offs.

Tent (budget - under $200):
    REI Big Agnes Windy Point 1 Tent - 54oz, $140
    Sleeping pad - use in both tent and hammock - therefore weight and cost cancel out

Hammock (Budget - under $200)

DW 11ft Netless Hexon 1.0 - 7.0 oz, $42
    Amazon Tree straps with carabiners (there's alot of options) - 16 oz, $15
    Outdoor Vitals 11ft bug sock - 8.2 oz, $40
    Outdoor Vitals 6 sided 75D tarp - 22 oz, $50
    75 feet of zing it for tarp tieouts - 1.5oz, $17
    Sleeping pad instead of underquilt - same as tent - therefore weight and cost cancel out

Weight of Tarp + Hammock: 54.7 oz (3.42 lbs)
    Cost of Tarp + Hammock: $164

A few conclusions:
    1. Sorry hammockers, but at the extreme high end, tents will be lighter. Personally, it is a trade off I would be willing to make.
    2. At the mid level, it becomes more ambiguous and you could probably tweak my lists and make a case either way.
    3. At the budget level, it is wide open.

I hope this helps. If you see an area in any list that could be improved to make this comparison more fair, please post it below. I will try and update these lists with any items that greatly improve the cost/weight ratio without dramatically effecting performance. I look forward to the discussion.
    Last edited by theRoyals; 12-05-2018 at 11:57.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    I think most folks here understand that the lightest tent setup will be lighter than the lightest hammock setup. Having said that, the reason most of us choose a hammock over a tent is for comfort and quality of sleep.

I do think you could adjust the hammock and tarp suspension options to make them a little lighter. 12' Dutch Spider 1.5 webbing. No whoopies or hardware. Just use a becket hitch to directly to the hammock CLs. Also, Jeff Myers from Myerstech Hammock Lab illustrated an all-in-one hammock/tarp suspension that seems to work quite well. This eliminates most of the weight for a tarp suspension.

I would also consider UGQ's 950fp or Loco Libre's 900fp quilts. I imagine they would weigh less than the 850fp HG quilts.

Lastly, not sure if a tarp with doors is necessary. The HG standard Dyneema Hex will reduce weight.

Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    The calculus is flawed. What is the weight of the sleeping pad that will provide the same comfort as my hammock?

Clearly any comparison that includes sleepingin a hammock to sleeping on a Thermarest neoair xlite is just plain uninformed.

Welcome to the forum theRoyals

Questioning authority, Rocking the boat & Stirring the pot - Since 1965

Hammock
    XLC/SLD 11' Tree Runner/BB
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/SLD WH
    Insulation
    Jacks 'R' Better
    Suspension
    MyersTech/Dyneema
    Images
    I think your standard tent should be the Zpacks Duplex @ 19oz. because that seems to be the ubiquitous selection now for serious GROUND DWELLING backpackers.
    "...in Florida, she felt air conditioning for the first time, and it was cold and unnatural upon her skin."

I don't think about price or weight that much, it get depressing knowing how much I have in my gear and I'm not a thru hikers. I think most of us have multiple setups. I have car camping tent(6p with huge exped magamat duo), back packing tent setup, car camping hammock set up (tensa4) and a backpacking hammock set up.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    While I could sleep in a tent...I prefer to sleep in a hammock. Much more comfortable and I don't have to crawl in and out of it.

Neither set up is perfect. There are places where tents are the way to go and places where hammocks rule.

To me its all about getting a better nights sleep while out in the woods and if it means I have to carry a few extra ounces to do so, I will gladly do it.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Quote Originally Posted by OCDave View Post
    The calculus is flawed. What is the weight of the sleeping pad that will provide the same comfort as my hammock?

Clearly any comparison that includes sleepingin a hammock to sleeping on a Thermarest neoair xlite is just plain uninformed.

Welcome to the forum theRoyals

While I happen to agree with you about comfort, not everyone would. Some people cannot get comfortable in hammocks (I may argue they are doing it wrong), but that is a different problem.

For these purposes, I put forth the Thermarest Xlite and UQs for insulating purposes in this cost comparison. The Xlite seems to be the most popular of pads out there for solid three season use and that is why I chose that for comparison.

Thank you for your input

Quote Originally Posted by Vanhalo View Post
    I think your standard tent should be the Zpacks Duplex @ 19oz. because that seems to be the ubiquitous selection now for serious GROUND DWELLING backpackers.
    I actually had that same thought about the Duplex when I was doing this post. In fact, the Plexamid I put in there is relatively new, so it does not have a proven track record yet for how it performs and how popular it may or may not be.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gunner76 View Post
    While I could sleep in a tent...I prefer to sleep in a hammock. Much more comfortable and I don't have to crawl in and out of it.

Neither set up is perfect. There are places where tents are the way to go and places where hammocks rule.

To me its all about getting a better nights sleep while out in the woods and if it means I have to carry a few extra ounces to do so, I will gladly do it.
    My thoughts exactly. For a low of about 30°, my hammock weight is 4.39lb (hammock, quilts, stakes, tarp). I can probably cut a decent amount with a tarp and ground setup, but I'd never want to at this juncture. After 6 years of hanging and all the money I spent, I'm still only looking at a very small tab per night. And it only gets cheaper as I go on as long as my gear holds up (I'm sure it will).

There's nothing wrong with a tent for those who prefer it. Set it up, throw all your stuff in, done. No fiddling around. Easier to "get it right" with a mat and sleeping bag. Usually cheaper. And you're pretty much 100% windproof with many tents.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Too bad you can't weigh pain, or calculate the cost of misery associated with ground pounding. If I had to lay on the ground, I wouldn't camp.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast