Tarp
    HG Journey
    Insulation
    HG incubator
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Images

Econ incubator 0

Two nights ago I tried hanging overnight. I finally thought I had everything perfect. Well i was wrong I felt wind and cold and It didn't make any sense. It had been 30ish degrees and my under quilt was rated 0 my sleeping bag used like a quilt -5. Yesterday I went out in the day light and inspected my set up. I forgot to cinch the ends of the underquilt. Dumb dumb dumb mistake. Big thanks to Shug for his videos. I think a lot of us would be lost with out those lol.so last night was a sucsess. I was warm all night. I still have some adjusting to do but all in all very happy.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Just be sure not to over-tighten those. That was my biggest mistake for a while. I couldn't figure it out but it was that simple. The key is to tighten it properly while you're IN the hammock. Don't try to seal it up by tightening without anyone inside, because once you get in and spread it out with your legs in there, the seal won't be right. Too tight and it make more of a U shape with you in the hammock, allowing cold air to flow in. Err on the side of too loose if anything. You're weight and legs spreading out the hammock usually eat up the slack.

It's always best to make mistakes in the backyard and not out in the woods somewhere miles away from an "out". I can't stress enough how important it is to do a trial run on gear before heading out. Sounds like you solved your problem, so good job!

I've got the same UQ, and when it's all dialed in and you get some hang time in it, you'll have 100% confidence! You might want to think about supplementing it with an underquilt protector that will keep the wind off you plus add a couple degrees of comfort.

If you can get away, come on up to Green Timbers in February for the group hang.

Hammock
    Dream hammock Raven
    Tarp
    HG Journey
    Insulation
    HG incubator
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Images
    Getting up to green timbers is the plan as of right now. That's why I want to make sure everything is perfect before I go. It's a couple hours from home lol.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Econ
    Suspension
    UCR/Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    Just be sure not to over-tighten those. That was my biggest mistake for a while. I couldn't figure it out but it was that simple. The key is to tighten it properly while you're IN the hammock. Don't try to seal it up by tightening without anyone inside, because once you get in and spread it out with your legs in there, the seal won't be right. Too tight and it make more of a U shape with you in the hammock, allowing cold air to flow in. Err on the side of too loose if anything. You're weight and legs spreading out the hammock usually eat up the slack.
    I'm new to underquilts - just got my first, and am having a similar problem. Felt like a subtle draft up my back, butt, and top of legs at 10-15 degrees above the quilt rating. I did tighten my suspension at each of the ends, but may well have overtightened it.

I like your advice. However, for me (the underquilt newbie) it raises a question - how do I know if I've tightened the underquilt just enough, but not too much, while inside the hammock? What seems hard/confusing is that I can't see the ends, or easily reach them, while lying in the flat position that I'm trying to snug the underquilt around my body.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon, DIY
    Tarp
    Dutchware Hex, DIY
    Insulation
    HG, DIY
    Suspension
    Straps, Beetles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kayakAR View Post
    I'm new to underquilts - just got my first, and am having a similar problem. Felt like a subtle draft up my back, butt, and top of legs at 10-15 degrees above the quilt rating. I did tighten my suspension at each of the ends, but may well have overtightened it.

I like your advice. However, for me (the underquilt newbie) it raises a question - how do I know if I've tightened the underquilt just enough, but not too much, while inside the hammock? What seems hard/confusing is that I can't see the ends, or easily reach them, while lying in the flat position that I'm trying to snug the underquilt around my body.
    A couple of suggestions for you to try...

1) most commonly offered remedy is to lay in the hammock, and have SOMEONE ELSE adjust the cinch cords while you are in it.

2) Now, of course not everyone has someone else around, so... you might set up your phone or other camera on a tripod positioned to focus on the area you are trying to adjust. Take a guess at adjusting the cinch cords, turn on the video, hop in the hammock, and then get out and check the video to see if there are any gaps. Keep at it until you can see that the gap between the hammock and the end of the underquilt is gone.

Good luck! It is well worth the tinkering to ultimately get that underquilt dialed in!

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    The camera really helps! It't not an exact science...just be sure not to over-tighten or leave it really loose as a starting point.

Hammock
    Dutch 2.4 Hexon 11'
    Tarp
    DD 4x4, 5x5
    Insulation
    HG econ 0* UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Loop Straps
    Images
    Only been hammocking for 1.5 years, this brings back memories of adjusting and wondering why I was still cold with beautiful new quilts. Advice given is all good, not too tight, not too loose, JUST RIGHT!!

Test on the porch or in backyard every chance you get. Practice makes it easier every time. I'm coming up on 50 plus nights in my hammock and it still takes some thinking after not being out for a few months.

Establish a pattern, do things in sequence and see how it all fits together. Adjust as needed if not feeling RIGHT. Try different things while practicing, head left, head right, tighter, looser, suspension, more sag, less....

After about 10 nights out it starts to come together, you relax, you know the gear is good, you know it's gonna be warm, you will be warm, confidence is a huge boost.

Gregori

PS - Add a $2 fleece from Walmart to your cold weather kit and enjoy wrapping up in it while in the hammock, it can be a huge difference if you are on edge of your gear temp range.
    Last edited by Gregori; 12-07-2018 at 11:30.

Hammock
    DIY 11 ft Double Layer
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Inc30 / B40
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Thanks so much to everyone for their suggestions As always feel free to shoot us an email at [email protected] We have Shug's video linked on our site as well. We're also working with Derek Hansen to print us up some handy cards for folks! Stay warm out there everyone!
    Harry Carlson
    Customer Support
    www.hammockgear.com
    740-445-4327
    [email protected]

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    This reminds me of why I love my Warbonnet Ridgerunner so much. Clip 4 mini biners and your done. No adjustments - no CBS

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast