Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images

3rd Annual Frosty Butt Hang> at Medoc Mt State Park NC > 24 Thursday - 27 Sunday; January 2019

Normally Medoc Mt State Park's group sites are closed for the winter but I filled out a special use permit form and we have gotten permission to camp out in January. I think the park staff was kind of surprised that anyone would want to camp out in the dead of winter when its cold. So the Frosty Butt Hang is back after a one year hiatus.

What: 3rd Annual Frosty Butt Hang

When: 24 Thursday - 27 Sunday; January 2019

Where: Medoc Mt State Park NC Group Site # 3

Sign up HERE so we know who is coming for meal planning ect. There is a link to the Meal Planning page at the bottom of the sign up sheet.

Who: Anyone who wants the chance to camp out in the cold. Don't know if it will snow, but we can always hope. Tenters are welcomed.

Cost: $10 per person or 3 bundles of firewood.

Firewood: We will need lots of firewood. If anyone has a source then we might be able to order a load locally for the cave man TV and to help keep us warm.

Restrooms: We should have access to the restrooms and showers at the group site. I have to call this Thursday ( the person I need to talk to is off till then ) to confirm

Cooking: Plan on group meals. Think simple, easy to fix stuff like chili, stews ect. Want to try and keep meal prep and clean up simple. As usual, The Terminator and I will provide Thursday nights meal and Friday AM's breakfast. No Hotlips or Kingford to help with the cooking as they went south for the winter .

Temperatures in January here in eastern NC can be flicked. Hot one day and freezing cold the next. Maybe snow. Lets hope for cold and snow. The coldest temperatures we have had at a Frosty Butt Hang was 22 degrees. The record low for the area in January appears to be 0 degrees (F).

So if you are coming make sure you bring your cold weather gear. I have some extra gear I might lend out on a case by case basis, contact me and let me know what you might need to borrow.

If you are new to cold weather hanging, then check with a more experienced hanger at the hang so we can look over your set up and see if you look good. We want everyone to have a good time and stay warm. Freezing while you are trying to sleep is not my idea of a good time.

Tips on staying warm at night:
    ...Eat a candy bar just before going to bed to give your body some fuel.
    ...Hand warmers can make a big difference between staying warm or being cold.
    .Some folks like to keep a hot water bottle in the hammock with them, just make sure the lid is on tight.
    ...Layers. A couple of layers of clothing can help keep you warm at night as long as they are loose. Tight fitting clothes will restrict blood flow and make you colder.
    Fleece gloves can help keep you hands and fingers warm.
    .Down beanie and or balaclava to keep the brain housing group warm.
    .A pillow to provide insulation for the head
    .Extra blanket / sleeping bag / TQ
    .Use a FL and a ¾ length UQ.
    .Use a hammock sock, UQ protector and or Top cover
    .I would suggest an electric blanket but I can never find that tree with the electric outlet when I need it..
    Check out Shug's UTube Videos as he has some great videos of camping in the cold.
    Last edited by gunner76; 12-04-2018 at 21:29.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly-Custom
    Insulation
    HG Econ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    All Sorts of
    Looking forward to it, but just letting you know, the Grayson Hang was just confirmed for this weekend as well, so I'm willing to bet there's gonna be some conflict.
    "The world is a complicated place Hobbes"
    "Whenever it seems that way, I take a nap in a tree and wait for dinner"
    -Calvin and Hobbes

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    There is always a conflict with hangs. The Florida Hang is also the same weekend. Grayson is about an 8 hour drive for me and the Florida Hang is about a 12 hour drive while Medoc is about 3+ hours. I sent in the special use application about 3 weeks ago and got a phone call yesterday that it had been approved.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Minifly/Pappy Plce
    Insulation
    Down/Apex
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I'm in.

Looking forward to it

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I'm in if I can get some cold weather gear together. My gear at the Halloween Hang was hitting the limit.
    Got time to breath, you got time for music - Brisco Darlin

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I'm in if I can get some cold weather gear together. My gear at the Halloween Hang was hitting the limit
    If you need to borrow an UQ let me know. I have a limited amount of 20 degree or lower stuff that I can lend.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Gunner, I have an old Alpine Designs Mummy bag rated to -15° as a TQ. As I got older it shrunk and no longer fits as a bag. I'm thinking about cutting it down so it fits the hammock. I'm looking into making another UQ with 3.6 Climashield doubled to 7.2. That should take me to 10°. If I need to borrow some gear I'll get with you ASAP. I'm thinking this is going to be short notice and kind of cold to have a big turn out.
    Got time to breath, you got time for music - Brisco Darlin

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    I have an old Alpine Designs Mummy bag rated to -15° as a TQ. As I got older it shrunk and no longer fits as a bag.
    Must be a common problem us older folks have. I have an old North Face Ibex mummy bag rated to -35 that has shrunk on me too. I have used it as a TQ and it worked pretty good except I found the hood to be annoying.

I am ready for the cold weather now after picking up some heat.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by gunner76; 12-07-2018 at 17:11.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Loco Libre
    Suspension
    DIY straps / Fancy
    Are the bathrooms and showers available?

Hammock
    Towns End BGBH
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    Images
    Son of a b****. I'll be in NH that week...my grandmother's 102nd birthday! This would have been my 1st frosty butt hang if I could have made it. Oh well...there's always next year.
    Retired US Navy, 10-year Stage IIIb colon cancer survivor. I believe my last words will be "Hold my beer..."

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast