Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    ?? Don't know? I have a grand trunk
    Insulation
    Home made down top
    Suspension
    Straps

Did I just waste time & money?

Other than the experience of sewing stuff, did I waste my time with this quilt? I've thought about making my own down quilt for several months now, and with out enough research into it, I ordered the materials for my project. I purchased 7 yards of 1.35 oz ripstop nylon and 1 pound of 700 fill down. I sewed in 3 inch mosquito netting for baffles every 9.5 inches or so. The cat wasn't much help. The old singer stitched it up with out any problems, I'd rather had a little more control with stitches per inch, but don't know if it was adjustable on that old of a machine. my quilt is 53 x 74 with 3 inch baffles and 15 oz of 700 down. My basement looked like a teenage girls slumber party pillow fight. I think I might have inhaled some of the down. Going camping Wednesday near Bristol tn. I'll post how well it does. If you don't hear from me, I froze to death.

Hammock
    11' 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    D.I.Y. 12' winter
    Insulation
    cool weather
    Suspension
    Poly. S.S. Beckett
    Images
    Looks good and I bet it'll do nicely. I believe the stitch length adjustment is on the right side of the machine, usually a lever that slides up and down, possibly a dial?

Not sure why you'd think of it as a waste of time. That looks like a heck of a quilt. You don't mention whether it's an underquilt or a top quilt but it looks like an underquilt even though I don't see suspension on it. Please do post results of the test trip. That's a project to be proud of.
    Cheers.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Looks fine to me! Only issue I can identify (POTENTIALLY, I might add) is the 9+" between baffles. You may get down shifting too much to one side or the other, creating thin spots for warmth to escape.

But depending on how much you stuffed each chamber it may not be an issue - so get out there and enjoy it! Please report back to us!

Images
    Enjoy using your new quilt. I agree with Otter1 about using narrower baffle spacing. We have a very old sleeping bag with wide spacing and even after adding more down the filling tended to slide off to the sides when in use. I've found it useful to look at what manufacturers do when I design gear- and then make changes as I see fit.

Images
    P.S. I have a 100 year old Singer Redeye like yours. There is a large thumbscrew under the bobbin winder (right front of machine) you turn to adjust stitch length. Google "Singer Redeye Manual".

Hammock
    ?? Don't know? I have a grand trunk
    Insulation
    Home made down top
    Suspension
    Straps
    @sidneyhornblower, thanks this is the first one I've made, sort of experimental. I've got about 80 bucks in it, so I hope it's worth it. I thought I would just keep it a simple flat quilt for now.

@XJ35S, @otter1 and @slugbait I do believe you all are right. Me thinks it is the dial by bobbin winder. Yes I realized the baffles seemed a little wide to me also, learning curve.

I fixen to head out tomorrow morning, and I'll post how it does. Going to burn some meat over open fire, and beat my hairy chest in the woods at night. If you hear of a Bigfoot sighting in east tn then you will know I've been spotted running through the mountains naked.

I’m impressed. It’s never a waste of time OR money if you learn something from the process - good or bad.
    That quilt looks much better than I could ever do - and kudos to you for taking on the project!
    Good luck with your trip. I definitely want to hear how it goes...

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    TQ, UQ, UQP
    Suspension
    Webbing/buckle
    Good on you for at least attempting it! Many would never even try it.
    "Always pass on what you have learned" - Yoda

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Well even if you get too much down shift, all may not be lost.

You can open a side seam and add down to each chamber. That should do the trick, albeit in a heavier quilt. Oh, and just be sure to pat/move the down to where you think you want it before turning in for the night.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast