SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    AHE UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images

Question Sewing Machine Recommendations??

I have never made any of my own equipment up to this point. I can barely sew using a needle and thread. With that in mind, what is a good beginner sewing machine to learn on and to begin making your own gear?? Thanks in advance.
    Regards,
    SnyperX

Hammock
    DIY Chameleon Compatible AIRWAVE1.8
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly XL
    Insulation
    Habanero/Serrano
    Suspension
    Straps/Beetles
    I started out using my daugher's cheapo Brother, then after a year or so bought this guy. I've been very pleased so far.

Hammock
    Half-wit (3 season), Chameleon (win
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    There was a very good discussion about sewing machines on another forum recently, it may have been in White Blazes (May have even been here) and there was a general trend that your best bet is going to a sewing machine repair company. Many people said you can find very nice models that while 10 years old are still great machines and can be had for around $100.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    Check to see if your local community college offers sewing classes ( might be under Adult Ed ). I was the first male to take a sewing class at my local community college.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    ?? Don't know? I have a grand trunk
    Insulation
    Home made down top
    Suspension
    Straps
    I've been using my wife's great grandmother's pre- 1920 singer. it's all steel gears with limited adjustments. I would prefer a new more user friendly machine, but I'll take what I got. The treble takes a little rythum. I sewn canvas, mosquito netting, and light ripstop nylon so far.

Look for adjustable stitches per inch, good tension adjustment and a big enough throat (area between needle and main part of machine with the motor) you will be wadding stuff up and cramming it through that part. That's just my .02 worth.

Roy

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY (Olive Oyl)
    Insulation
    [allergic to down]
    Images
    Ask family, friends, coworkers if anyone has a sewing machine they no longer use. Often very easy to find someone who just wants to give one away so it will be used. (Then ask them if they will show you how to use it!!)

There a lot of threads on various brands/models of sewing machines. Here is one model that a number of people have (including me--got mine for $99 on an Amazon flash sale). If you go into "Advanced Search" and use keywords "sewing machine" and choose "Search Titles Only" you will find LOTS of information on what people are using.

There is also this thread, where folks show and comment on what they are using.

I agree that finding instruction will decrease your frustration level immensely by having someone there to show you how to handle common issues. A class at community college would be great if no one you know can help teach you.
    Good luck!

Hammock
    1.2 Robic DIY
    Tarp
    Winter M. Silpoly
    Insulation
    Apex 40F TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Practically speaking just about anything works. If you can nab a friend or family members no longer used machine it should fit the bill. A class or sewing course is always an option. In my opinion for a basic machine you really just need to know how to wind the bobbin right and setup the thread feed path. The manual will show you that and a few youtube videos will give you a live example. After that you practice on a few scrap pieces and basic stuff is open to you. You don't need anything fancy or expensive.

I recommend family/friends first to borrow or buy an machine. In theory that machine works and you have someone who can show you how to set it up. You can also do thrift stores but then risk a machine that doesn't work right and there's more learning and trial and error to get it up and running right. I borrowed my wifes 10 year old brothers machine and after my first set of gear I bought a thrift store find that was 40 years old for $15. Both work fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Hanging Roy View Post
    I've been using my wife's great grandmother's pre- 1920 singer. it's all steel gears with limited adjustments. I would prefer a new more user friendly machine, but I'll take what I got. The treble takes a little rythum. I sewn canvas, mosquito netting, and light ripstop nylon so far.

Look for adjustable stitches per inch, good tension adjustment and a big enough throat (area between needle and main part of machine with the motor) you will be wadding stuff up and cramming it through that part. That's just my .02 worth.

Roy
    My mother got one old Singer sewing machine as well and it works up to this date. It is probably from the '60s and I say they are very tough and heavy. We hauled it on my truck when they moved. Good thing I got railings and rollnlock tonneau cover to easily strap it and cover the rest of the bed.
    I bet it isn't the best for new sewers. I think I need to go to sewing class before I can use it.

Hammock
    HH Jungle Safari Zip
    Tarp
    HH Typhoon Poly
    Insulation
    HH Pad Wool Fleece
    Suspension
    Stock
    I got a hand me down from a relative. Ask around and you may get lucky. Mine is an easily serviced Necchi and all it needed was a cleaning and greasing.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Also check out Goodwill or other thrift store type places. I've found good working machines in the $20 to $50 range. I like the older machines because they tend to be very robust and reliable. My oldest machine is over 100 years old and still works.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast