Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Seriously, ask an older grandmother, aunt, neighbor, family friend, etc to teach you. They will be so tickled that you followed through with it that they will probably give it to you since they had been planning to give it to a daughter, granddaughter, etc but they are not interested. I started using my wife’s and them my mom gave me hers which had a table. My wife sometimes tells family members about my sewing of gear (I don’t know this comes up) and we have to fight them off. If they can teach you how to use it and you borrowed it, it would make their day.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanging Roy View Post
    I've been using my wife's great grandmother's pre- 1920 singer...it's all steel gears with limited adjustments...
    All steel, yes. Great machine, yes. All steel gears, yes, but the only gears in a Singer model 66 are the two in the bobbin winder.

Hammock
    ?? Don't know? I have a grand trunk
    Insulation
    Home made down top
    Suspension
    Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    All steel, yes. Great machine, yes. All steel gears, yes, but the only gears in a Singer model 66 are the two in the bobbin winder.
    Oh, I believe you are right.

Hammock
    Ridgerunner, Extra wide XLC clone
    Tarp
    RSBR silpoly
    Insulation
    Down, lots of down
    Suspension
    BIAS anchor,amstee
    The machine is only half of the equation. Setup is critical, if you can’t adjust and troubleshoot your sewing machine your setting yourself up for failure or poor results.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by damuffin View Post
    The machine is only half of the equation. Setup is critical, if you can’t adjust and troubleshoot your sewing machine your setting yourself up for failure or poor results.
    This is a great point. I favour older machines for their simplicity and robustness but just regardless of the machine you end up getting, you still need to know things like adjusting thread tension, selecting the proper needle for the material you are using, how to clean the feed dogs etc. Granted my mom sewed for years and years without half of knowledge I now have gained but knowing how to maintain and troubleshoot when starting out is almost more important than the machine you choose. Problems lead to frustration which can lead to you abandoning a satisfying way to create and repair gear as well as a host of other projects. It's a very useful skill to have.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    11.5ft DIY hammock
    Tarp
    DIY winter tarp
    Insulation
    DIY CS Apex UG/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    I'm currently the proud owner of 22 different old German sewing machines. During the last four years I owned about 50 and sold already about 28. My oldest machine is a Adler Kl. 8 machine build about 1920 (almost 100 years old). With that machine I sewed with true 5mm stitch length nice waterproof tarpaulin bike panniers (I copied Ortlieb bike panniers) like stuff sacks. My favorite sewing machines are a Singer 206D and a Pfaff 130. I can dismantle and reassemble a Singer 206D quickly and completely up to the last screw. Both machines work like gears of a Swiss clock mechanism.

I sewed all my hammock gear with a very rare Meister ZZ Automatic:
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...=1#post1438249
    I like this machine also and would not sell it even for 1000$. You can see in my post what I paid for it.

Hammock
    11.5ft DIY hammock
    Tarp
    DIY winter tarp
    Insulation
    DIY CS Apex UG/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    This is a great point. I favour older machines for their simplicity and robustness but just regardless of the machine you end up getting, you still need to know things like adjusting thread tension, selecting the proper needle for the material you are using, how to clean the feed dogs etc. Granted my mom sewed for years and years without half of knowledge I now have gained but knowing how to maintain and troubleshoot when starting out is almost more important than the machine you choose. Problems lead to frustration which can lead to you abandoning a satisfying way to create and repair gear as well as a host of other projects. It's a very useful skill to have.
    I learnt all these things and much more by doing or trying and also from reading Ramblinrev's posts in this forum. Up to November 2014 I made no single stitch on a sewing machine.

Hi everyone. I'm looking to get a heavier duty machine. I've been using domestic machines up to this point but I'm now looking for a semi industrial straight stitcher. I would love a full industrial machine but the only place I have to sew is the dining room table sewingempire.com. The machines I've been looking at are: Juki TL 2010 Janome HD9 Brother PQ1500SL Does anyone have one of these machines or any experience using them?
    Last edited by justinvaughan; 07-29-2022 at 07:34.

Quote Originally Posted by Drakey View Post
    My mother got one old Singer sewing machine as well and it works up to this date. It is probably from the '60s and I say they are very tough and heavy. We hauled it on my truck when they moved. Good thing I got railings and rollnlock tonneau cover to easily strap it and cover the rest of the bed.
    I bet it isn't the best for new sewers. I think I need to go to sewing class before I can use it.
    See if you can figure out your '60's Singer's model number. For that vintage of Singer machines, the model number is on the machine's pillar where the stitch length lever is located. Go to Singer's website with the model number and under its Product Support section, get a .pdf copy of the owner's manual. There is a lot on info in the manual on winding a bobbin, threading the machine, how to put in a sewing needle, etc. Also, go to YouTube to get specific info on your model and tips on how to sew basic operations. I taught myself this way and practiced on scraps off similar fabrics. Depending on your model, you may be unable to sew thick webbing materials, but most home machines can sew with ease tarps and hammocks. You will mainly be using the machine's straight stitch function, reverse is helpful but not mandatory.

Hammock
    MYOG Bridge
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    Straps & Turtles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by justinvaughan View Post
    Hi everyone. I'm looking to get a heavier duty machine. I've been using domestic machines up to this point but I'm now looking for a semi industrial straight stitcher. I would love a full industrial machine but the only place I have to sew is the dining room table sewingempire.com. The machines I've been looking at are: Juki TL 2010 Janome HD9 Brother PQ1500SL Does anyone have one of these machines or any experience using them?
    I own the TL2000, which is the same as the TL2010 but without the throttle limiter and one or two very minor differences. It's a workhorse, and has the same mechanicals inside as the DDL8700 from what I read...the differences being maybe stitches per minute, and the oil drop points instead of the oil pan. It is on another level altogether than the Janome or Singer HD, which are not real heavy duty machines. The overall build quality is also a total level up from the cheaper "HD" sewing machines.

It looks like a quilting machine but it's more of a "home industrial" if you will. I'd recommend it to anyone.

That being said, if you're totally new to making your own gear, the best machine is the free one that just works. Start with simpler projects and see if you like it first before buying in with the better model. But, once you get to the point of buying one put the money on a good one, it'll last longer and handle beefier materials much better.
    Last edited by packman9000; 08-21-2022 at 14:36.
    Q: Does it get any better than kayak camping?

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast