Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Hi,

The features I'd recommend to look for in a sewing maching are the ability to sew in reverse and in zig-zag stitches. If the machine is newer, it's also great if it can sew in place without moving the fabric forward. This is especially handy for sewing on buttons like in this video.

Very old machines still work great but don't have the ability to sew in reverse. The reverse is handy for backstitching to stop your seams from unraveling at the beginning or end.

Check to see if the bobbins that the machine needs are easy to get. They probably are, but I have an old Japanese machine that takes bobbins which are not readily available, and finding them was a pain.

Good luck!

]The machines I've been looking at are: Juki TL 2010 Janome HD9 Brother PQ1500SL Does anyone have one of these machines or any experience using them?

I use a Juki TL 2020, very similar to the TL 2010. I LOVE THIS MACHINE. It makes a reliable straight stitch through canvas, leather, silk, slippery fabrics. I think it does well with more delicate fabrics because the needle opening is small and thereÂ’s less chance of it getting sucked into the feed dogs.
    The walking foot is all metal, and works really well.

Big caveat: 95% of my sewing is quilting. I only need a straight stitch for this and I bought this model because it included some cool feet for free motion quilting. I do have an old Elna from the 70s that I use for a zig zag or stretch stitch if I need them, but I rarely do. After spending time with the huge throat space and detachable table, itÂ’s hard to go back to a domestic machine.
    Last edited by AnneDoughnut; 08-27-2022 at 13:05.

Hammock
    12' w/ zippered bugnet
    Tarp
    quiet ones
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    beetles, wasps
    I want to make my own hammock. I DIY everything I possibly can, given the time: furniture, guitars, guitar amplifiers/speaker cabinets (everything except the metal work).

My partner was given a singer by her mother. she's quickly gone from basic clothing repairs, to completely sewing her own dresses from patterns she modifies in adobe. She's looking at a Juki for heavier materials which would also suit our furniture and guitar/amp diy stuff as well. I think a hammock would be a great way for me to learn. I'll research what stitches are required, but gathered end hammocks seem pretty easy. What I'm not sure about is stitches for zippered bugnets, and adding tie out points for various accessories.

At any rate, glad to hear the Juki TL20xx are so robust for the money.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY (Olive Oyl)
    Insulation
    [allergic to down]
    Images
    Stitches for hammock gear are just your basic stitches -- straight stitch & reverse! Nothing special needed. The Singer will probably work well for learning. Be sure to watch Jellyfish's videos for hot tips on sewing these thin slippery fabrics.

Hammock
    DIY DL 1.1oz ripstop 144"x60"
    Tarp
    DIY 11'X10' hex
    Insulation
    Down UQ conversion
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by SnyperX View Post
    I have never made any of my own equipment up to this point. I can barely sew using a needle and thread. With that in mind, what is a good beginner sewing machine to learn on and to begin making your own gear?? Thanks in advance.
    Just get the cheapest, used, working machine you can find. We're (mostly) not doing any fancy stitches, or commercial work. An old singer with a foot treaddle would work just fine. I have an old Singer from the fifties, and a much newer, fancy machine from the nineties. I prefer the Singer because its slow. My mother has been sewing all her life. She loves the feel and aesthetic of the singer, but it drives her nuts, because its too slow for her. I've made three hammocks, one cat cut hex tarp, a top quilt, an under quilt and countless stuff sacks. The singer is still faster than me.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123