DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Thanks for the info. My new poles will be here Saturday, so I'll give it a shot. I think I only need a few inches to tighten it all up. Jared is too fast...I think he's a cyborg and doesn't require sleep.

Another thing I forgot to mention was my stove. One morning I ran my MSR Reactor without a pot to heat it up. I figured it would be a waste, but I swear it was closer to 50° in there instead of 14°! Sure it was only for a brief time and the heat went right out, but it was nice to get dressed in the warmth. Obviously no CO danger with the doors wide open on one end. Totally worth a couple grams of fuel
    Last edited by OneClick; 01-02-2019 at 16:15.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Raven D/L
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    0 and 30 Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    That's a great tip actually! I was considering putting an old Coleman catalytic heater in mine just to take the edge off during winter trips...I might have to give that a try!

Hammock
    Dutch Wide 11', H.H.
    Tarp
    Superfly, Noah 12'
    Insulation
    Incubator 0, Jarbr
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    A ribbon. I may try the clip since I have some but not sure if they're the right size. I'll probably just leave it as is to not add more stuff.
    Wondering why he didn't use the clips as he did with my tarp
    I live the clips so much better then the ribbon on my superfly
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveE View Post
    I just got the same tarp (different material) in the fall and had issues with the poles as well. I ended up cutting up the 3rd pole to add a bit of length to the other 2. I emailed Jared and he sent out another few sections of pole so I could recreate a full length third pole. Mine is a PU/Nylon so it does stretch a bit (it's 2.2oz Hex70) so when I first set up the poles are too tight (actually causes them to form an S shape) but then after a bit they fit perfect (after the tarp stretches a bit). I also had some issues with water leaking in through the 3 clips where the poles connect at the top of the tarp. I've re-seam sealed them but haven't had the chance to test it out yet. I'm hoping it will have fixed the leaks (not huge leaks but enough that my down bag had big wet spots....)
    I too have the same exact problems for mine that he made
    All clips.leaked (fixed myself by seem sealing)
    And my poles are also too short
    I just ordered and received my extra poles to redo
    And I also wish he would have used some extra material on the pole pockets.. so it's easier to install them
    But I do love it

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    The ribbon at least gives it some play. My setup that wasn't working quite right here was a great example. If I had a clip and I was forced to close that 4" gap, it would have put a ton of pressure on the tarp. With the ribbon, I was able to loosely tie it just enough to keep the pole from sliding to the side, yet keep very little tension on everything. At one point I did try tying it down tight but I could see it would have ripped right out trying to pull that pole up 4" to the top.

Once I get the poles to the proper length, I'll be good to tighten the ribbon all the way. And it's literally tying a shoe, one time and it's done, so I'm fine with that.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Raven D/L
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    0 and 30 Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Ya when I put my poles into the clip it pulled way down on the top of the tarp along the seam creating a deep trough for the water to collect. I can see how having the ribbon would have offered you a bit more wiggle room...If I can make a suggestion, cut the poles a bit on the long side and then set the tarp up and let it get wet and see if and how much it stretches. I almost cut mine too short but once the tarp stretches a bit they fit perfectly

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Ya when I put my poles into the clip it pulled way down on the top of the tarp along the seam creating a deep trough for the water to collect. I can see how having the ribbon would have offered you a bit more wiggle room...If I can make a suggestion, cut the poles a bit on the long side and then set the tarp up and let it get wet and see if and how much it stretches. I almost cut mine too short but once the tarp stretches a bit they fit perfectly
    Exactly. Clips are fine on mass-produced tents, but with the in-exactitude of tarps and dozens of factors on pitching, I like this ribbon.

Thanks for the suggestion. Jamming in a pole that is too long worries me a little, but I know once I cut it it's done. So I will start longer than I think then go from there.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Raven D/L
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    0 and 30 Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Ya like I say mine is long to the point where it creates a bit of a S shape in the poles when first inserted but then after a bit they straighten right out as the tarp stretches (I guess it will depend on how much if any your tarp stretches).

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Regarding the stretch, Jared said it could vary due to the manufacturing process. That's why it's not an exact science. He said most of the time the poles cut to the exact width of the tarp works.

Hammock
    Dutch Wide 11', H.H.
    Tarp
    Superfly, Noah 12'
    Insulation
    Incubator 0, Jarbr
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    The ribbon at least gives it some play. My setup that wasn't working quite right here was a great example. If I had a clip and I was forced to close that 4" gap, it would have put a ton of pressure on the tarp. With the ribbon, I was able to loosely tie it just enough to keep the pole from sliding to the side, yet keep very little tension on everything. At one point I did try tying it down tight but I could see it would have ripped right out trying to pull that pole up 4" to the top.

Once I get the poles to the proper length, I'll be good to tighten the ribbon all the way. And it's literally tying a shoe, one time and it's done, so I'm fine with that.
    You mean tie it three times
    I have the ribbon on the Superfly and hated it so I tied on a clip
    Yes I have noticed this as well
    The trough effect..
    I figure correcting the length of my poles will fix this
    But I also this it's the nature of the seam type
    The Superfly I have does not have this issue at all due to different seam construction

I will be out this weekend and will cut the poles to proper length and report back

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by brutalguyracing; 01-03-2019 at 09:36.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by brutalguyracing View Post
    You mean tie it three times
    Well no just one setup for base camp but I get it. Tying shoes almost every day of my life made this a nonissue.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast