DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW.....wow! What can I say, Jared is the master craftsman!

I love this thing! I did a crude setup in the basement and my hammock was also offset about 8" making it a little sloppy. I even ran out of room against the wall and you can see the guylines are almost vertical, so less than ideal. But still, I know this will be perfection out in the snowy, piney woods.

Pole weight

Tarp weight

"THE DOME" I'll likely lower it to about 4" off the ground when the weather calls for it. With these high ceilings and hammock set like it was, I just went with it as is. After this photo I tightened it down more and it was really nice, but the weights started sliding and couldn't hold the tension.

Shload of space in here! I'm pretty short so you can see I have plenty of room above my head even standing!

Images
    Very nice. The little man sure seems pleased with it!

I have a Trail Haven with single center pole, and that secures to the top of the tarp with a pole clip like you'd find on a dome tent. Did he use those on this too, or is it just the ribbon ties?

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    Very nice. The little man sure seems pleased with it!

I have a Trail Haven with single center pole, and that secures to the top of the tarp with a pole clip like you'd find on a dome tent. Did he use those on this too, or is it just the ribbon ties?
    A ribbon. I may try the clip since I have some but not sure if they're the right size. I'll probably just leave it as is to not add more stuff.

Images
    Really like it. When you've had a chance to use it in some blowing snow, I'll be interested to hear what you think about the cat cut. That's one thing I was pondering when pricing it out. Knowing what you're trying to accomplish with the extra wide tarp, same reason I was considering one, I wondered if the cat cut would let in a little of the wind and snow intrusion you're trying to minimize. It sure is impressive though. No doubt the triple pole will prove to be worth the extra cost. Plus it allows you to set up with 1, 2, or all 3 poles.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I was dead set on the straight ends, but Jared sort of nudged me into the cat cut. I like how the cat cut tarps eat up the slop and get a tight pitch. He was describing how his cat cuts are very conservative, just a little to help get a clean pitch. I can see what he means as I can hardly notice it. I'll appreciate that anytime I'm not using the poles (but not likely).

If I crank this down I could end up with a couple inches off the ground, maybe, but I doubt it will ever come to that. It would turn into a condensation chamber at that point anyway, which I hate in the winter. In fact, I'll probably leave it a foot up sort of like this and just push up a little snow on the windy side if necessary, to keep it breathing better.

Cool beans! Did you shrink? You look a lot shorter than you did when I saw you in October..

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I recently took this out for 3 nights for the first real test. PERFECT!! The weather was pretty tame but the amount of room under here is amazing. The little snow we did get was well away from all my gear. I snapped shut the head end and left the foot end open and staked out for easy access. I also set it up about 12" off the ground which was perfect for ventilation yet blocking most of the wind.

Unfortunately the poles wouldn't make contact with the top of the tarp. The 4" gap was impossible to eliminate no matter how I hung it, so Jared is sending me some pole sections so I can replace the shorter segments. Basically, adding another 3-4" or whatever it ends up needing. I suck at DIY but I can manage this with a pipe cutter. I had someone look inside the tarp while I pushed the pole up and out of the pocket, simulating a longer pole. I think we agreed it needed to be about 4" longer.

Even with this little hiccup it worked fine, but I look forward to dialing it in 100%.

Room for sitting, a table, backpack, and my entire pulk with gear on the other side.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC, left lay
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Inc and Burrow
    Suspension
    Ti Strap Anchors
    Images
    that thing is spacious inside! it's like a condo. how wide is the tarp? their website doesn't list the width.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I used the XL silpoly which is 72" on the roll, 70" useable, minus whatever is lost in the process when finished.

I measured this at 135" across the center when laid out.

When putting in the poles, I have no idea how tight is "too tight". This is my first experience with them aside from tents, so I played it safe and tried to keep it somewhat of a wider setup...which is a good thing for the space and airflow.

p.s. LineLoc 3s...just plain amazing. Ridiculously easy to adjust and they held great with my 2mm Zpacks Zline.
    Last edited by OneClick; 01-02-2019 at 15:07.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Raven D/L
    Tarp
    SLD Winter Haven
    Insulation
    0 and 30 Zeppelin
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    I just got the same tarp (different material) in the fall and had issues with the poles as well. I ended up cutting up the 3rd pole to add a bit of length to the other 2. I emailed Jared and he sent out another few sections of pole so I could recreate a full length third pole. Mine is a PU/Nylon so it does stretch a bit (it's 2.2oz Hex70) so when I first set up the poles are too tight (actually causes them to form an S shape) but then after a bit they fit perfect (after the tarp stretches a bit). I also had some issues with water leaking in through the 3 clips where the poles connect at the top of the tarp. I've re-seam sealed them but haven't had the chance to test it out yet. I'm hoping it will have fixed the leaks (not huge leaks but enough that my down bag had big wet spots....)

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast