Hammock
    SLD 11'
    Tarp
    11' HG w/ doors
    Insulation
    DIY or HG
    Suspension
    Webbing/Beckett
    I do very little winter camping, so grain of salt for winter tarps.

I do not like 12' for summer though. 12' tarp needs to be pitched higher so it dosent rub on your hammock suspension. This means the bottom sides are also higher up. This let's in wind, dampness and makes it easier to take splash back from under the tarp. All this is bad.
    To get around that, you can add extra fabric to the sides. Enter the winer tarp.

A winter tarp is much roomier but is generally MUCH bigger, heavier and bulkier. That extra foot on the sides and ends adds alot of fabric, making it harder to pack with.

Dont get me wrong, a giant winter tarp is awesome in bad weather. I just made one specifically for bad weather, but with mini doors. But is it worth the extra fabric the vast majority of the time? Not for me.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY (Olive Oyl)
    Insulation
    [allergic to down]
    Images
    I suggest sticking with 12' -- you'd hate it if you were in a situation where it was so stormy you thought "I wish I had a longer tarp..."

I agree with adding another tie out (or 2) on the ridgeline --it will allow for hanging in a shorter space, or to lower the tarp in bad weather.

I say DON'T put velcro on a tarp or hammock! You'll get it stuck on your clothes as you go in and out, you'll get it stuck on the tie outs as you try to stow it, you'll get duff, leaves, grass, etc. etc. stuck to it -- it will be a PAIN! (IMHO ha ha!)

AND... for lots of helpful tips and tricks for sewing these specialized fabrics, take a look at Jellyfish's videos. She's a great teacher and even experienced stitchers learn things by watching her patient lessons.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by majandra22 View Post
    Hello all! This is my first post on here after a lot of lurking over the past week in preparation for Black Friday sales. I've decided to make my own winter tarp using the kit from RSBTR, but with several modifications. Most of the mods (okay, like all of them) I've gotten from this site, and the pictures belong to their respective owners. I'd really appreciate your input/suggestions/feedback/experience on each of the modifications I have planned:

1. Once I saw a picture of an Olive Yellow tarp there (on RSBTR and all over here as well), I had to have it, but they were out of the 1.1 silpoly in that color, or so I thought. They did actually have some Olive Yellow in their pre-cut kit which I ended up ordering. The kit is for a 12' winter tarp, but I just got the HG zippered bugnet hammock and they suggested I stick with an 11' tarp if it has doors, which seems to match what I've read on here. Any reason why it would be better to leave as 12'? If not, my big question to everyone is how to trim down the pre-cut 12' panels to work for an 11-footer? The way I see it I'm going to lose some height due removing/recreating cat cuts, but maybe someone else knows how to scale it better to not lose as much. Also, will a change in length affect reinforcement points, door angles, etc?

Never had a problem with my 11' Winter tarp

2. The consensus seems to be to stick with a rolled hem over one edged in grosgrain, correct?
    Did a rolled hem...just take your time sewing.

3. Plan to use a standing French seam for the ridgeline like FJRpilot did rather than the felled seam in the kit directions, just because I like how it looks. Any feedback on this?

Took me a few tries to nail the french seam. Seam sealed it and has never leaked.

4. Split rings or the Beatie D's that come with the kit? I've seen arguments for both...
    D rings on mine...good to go.

5. Will do the panel pull-out to be able to attach trekking poles like the mod Wafflebox did. This way I can get extra interior space with no added weight while backpacking, and the poles will rest on the standing seam rather than the tarp.

They will catch snow if you Winter camp. A single pole mod sheds snow better.
    But panel pulls are a must have for a big tarp if not using a single pole.

6. Will add a 1/2" Beastie D on the inside of each corner tie-out to be able to use 2 interior poles when not backpacking. Will add the mitten hook from the ridgeline to support. What size/length poles should I get for this size tarp, and from where?
    You would need to measure your distance. Several places for poles exsist to purchase.

7. Should I have the doors close via kamsnaps or with shockcord to opposite tie out? Also want to be able to tie doors open (on inside) for fair weather...
    I used velcro. This is my snow tarp so no problem with velcro.

8. Guylines: my current plan is to put a loop on each tie-out. Then, guyline will be spliced to stakes with a tensionlock hook on each to snap onto tarp loops and be able to tension quickly. Does this sound like an okay plan? Should loop on tie-out be shockcord or zing-it?

I really appreciate you all's feedback on my design plans. This will be my first MYOG. Although I've designed some fairly complex bag modifications in the past, I always had someone else sew them, so this will be quite the project for me to start with! I did buy a couple little kits and will do the stuff sack first so I can get more comfortable before working on 12' of slippery fabric. I will actually be making TWO of these tarps- the olive yellow for myself and crimson for the boyfriend. I will likely start with his as he will be less persnickety about the stitch quality than I will be I'll be sure to update this thread with images on the process. My dad thinks he has a old Consew industrial sewing machine somewhere, so I'm hoping that (and some MYOG supplies) will be under the tree this year!

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Netless + Bottom Entry net
    Tarp
    Rectangle
    Quote Originally Posted by majandra22 View Post
    Wow, I hadn't thought of doing it that way! It would save me the hassle of having to re-do the cat cuts which is great, but wouldn't it throw off the overall shape in that the angle from the side tie-out to the ridgeline would change? Could this have any negative effect? Think I'm going to make a little paper mock-up tomorrow to better understand how that would change the shape of the tarp...
    You could also do it without changing the angles or cat cuts. Just translate the V on each end inward 6 in. You will be cutting off some of the cat curves on the doors but I doubt it would have any noticeable effect on the final product.

Heres a better pic done to scale (red final borders, Green is the cut-off part)
    Screen Shot 2018-11-28 at 7.35.56 PM.jpg

I have a 12ft and an 11 ft tarp. The nice thing about an 11 ft tarp is you can pitch your tarp closer to your hammock before it interferes with your hammock suspension which means you get better side coverage because the tarp is closer to the ground. I mostly use my 12ft tarp when hanging tandom for the extra end coverage and I cant close the doors
    Last edited by jabraso; 11-30-2018 at 12:33.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123