Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicPaddler View Post
    I know this was not what you were asking about but while making your own it is something to consider.
    I find that I am only on one side of the hammock and want more room under my tarp on that side. I made a tarp with that in mind.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ig-Winter-Tarp

I really like this tarp but with this big of tarp the pull outs should have been further apart and the poles for the pole mod should have been longer.
    That is a really unique approach! I haven't done enough hammocking to know if I'd have a preferred side or not, but it's cool to know that one can play around with aspects like that in order to better meet their needs.

Hey chapinb, thanks for all the feedback! Why is 12' better for the winter? Just because you have extra space inside or...? HG suggested sticking with the 11' as a larger tarp would need to be hung higher in order to avoid hitting the hammock straps, but I know many people use a 12' w/o doors and don't seem to have an issue. Cutting it down to an 11' would save some weight and be a bit smaller in my pack, but I'd hate to regret going smaller, so I'm willing to be convinced otherwise!

Quote Originally Posted by mathineer View Post
    I did a standing French seam on my winter tarp. I liked it and I think it turned out okay, but I did have some difficulty sewing it. At the time I had problems sewing a seam very close to the edge (newbie) and so there were a couple of places where the stitches showed just past the grosgrain. Seems (seams??) waterproof, but I haven't slept in it in a serious rainstorm (I tested the waterproofness of the seam by "raining" on it with a garden hose). Also, several people recommended seam sealer which I applied. However, when I tensioned the ridgeline in setting it up, the sealer just pulled away from the seam so as far as I could tell it was useless.

mathineer
    I will keep your experience in mind mathineer! Thanksfully my mom and aunt are good seamstresses, so if I get myself in trouble hopefully they can help out. I don't plan on using seam sealer unless I find it necessary later on, so I'm hopefully the standing seam will do well enough on its own!

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images

Help with tarp design and modifications

I have three DIY tarps in 1.1 silpoly olive yellow. The WinterHex, and the Hex are 12' and an asym varies. Both of my hammocks are 11'. I am totally happy with the combination.

I love the color too. The asym below has been replaced with a Kitsap Glasgow asym and I don't have pictures of the hex with doors..

Standing French seam on the ridge for both hex tarps. Split rings on all tie outs... I bought the Beastie D's, put them on the first two and later took them off, and didn't use them there after. Shock cord on all corners with Tarp Worms. All reinforcements patches are bonded instead of sewn. No seam sealing needed. Doors have Z-Line with about 18" of shock cord with both an eye and a Dutch door hook for versatility. I added one panel pull out per side on both hex tarps but don't use them because I added DIY 2QZQ style pole pockets and always use the pole.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Last edited by MikekiM; 11-29-2018 at 22:47.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    Put the Beasties on. You can cut them off if you later choose to do so! Split rings can be added to grosgrain loops at any time.

You can change whatever material you use for loops on the tie-outs at any time. I'd start with shock cord. Line-Loc Hooks are a nice way to tension if you use the appropriate cordage. Dutch hardware if you opt for ZingIt/LashIt.

Quest is the obvious source for poles. Build the tarp first and then order the pole pieces that give you at least as much length as you need. You'll be trimming to get a perfect fit.

I like Jabraso's idea re the ridgeline length if you're sold on a 11' ridgeline. The resulting bigger doors could be nice even if they pretty much rule out the snap option.

Jealous re the Olive Yellow. I know it's not been a huge seller for Kyle but I wish he could find the room to stock the various less popular colors that some of us crave...
    Well the kit comes with the Beasties, so it makes sense to start with them first. I bought Zingit/Lashit but for the guylines right now plan to use plasticware (tensionlock hook), but I did base the thickness of cordage to match it. I'm going to use stingerz for the ridgeline, and maybe in the future will upgrade to all Dutchware, but since I'm building two tarps I want to keep costs reasonable where I can and $3-4 for a dozen plastic parts was too hard to pass up!

Thanks for mentioning Quest, and the concept that you can cut the poles down. I had no idea!

I thought Olive Yellow was pretty popular based on the number of tarp pics on Google. It seems to still be available in many other fabrics. I actually bought some in Membrane .66 to use on an Apex quilt/underquilt I'm going to make as well. (Will likely need input on that design too once I get around to it!)

Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    I have three DIY tarps in 1.1 silpoly olive yellow. The WinterHex, the Hex are 12' and an asym varies. Both of my hammocks are 11'. I am totally happy with the combination.

I love the color too. The asym below has been replaced with a Kitsap Glasgow asym and I don't have pictures of the he's with doors..

Gorgeous! Definite motivation for my project!

Sorry to everyone that all of my replies are individual- I can't figure out how to combine them into just one response post...advice?

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by majandra22 View Post
    Gorgeous! Definite motivation for my project!

Sorry to everyone that all of my replies are individual- I can't figure out how to combine them into just one response post...advice?
    The winter hex is even nicer. I used orange grosgrain ribbon on the ridge of that one.

I do a simple 1/4" rolled hem all around.. no grosgrain around the edges. I have more pics in my HF albums.

Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by majandra22 View Post
    Well the kit comes with the Beasties, so it makes sense to start with them first. I bought Zingit/Lashit but for the guylines right now plan to use plasticware (tensionlock hook), but I did base the thickness of cordage to match it. I'm going to use stingerz for the ridgeline, and maybe in the future will upgrade to all Dutchware, but since I'm building two tarps I want to keep costs reasonable where I can and $3-4 for a dozen plastic parts was too hard to pass up!

Thanks for mentioning Quest, and the concept that you can cut the poles down. I had no idea!

I thought Olive Yellow was pretty popular based on the number of tarp pics on Google. It seems to still be available in many other fabrics. I actually bought some in Membrane .66 to use on an Apex quilt/underquilt I'm going to make as well. (Will likely need input on that design too once I get around to it!)
    The asym I pictured above is membrane. Crazy lite. I bought the polev sections from the Overstock site... I think it was $18 for two 13' poles. I shortened all the sections on one like to make the single under tarp pole and made a single over tarp pole with the other... Never use that one.

Started with Zingit on all of my tarps and now use 1.2 ZLine on all.

Other than split rings and tarp worms there is no hardware. The tarp worms come off when it gets cold.

The pole pockets...

Bob's brother-in-law

Been thinking about the idea of shortening the ridgeline...

As long as the corners and tie-out don't move, you'll have exactly the same footprint with the doors closed! Can't see any reason to have that extra cloth along the ridge for a tarp that's going over an 11' hammock.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    A few thoughts to add now that I am reading on the computer, not mobile.. You mentioned adding two Beastie D to the inside corners for the poles. I use just one center pole on either of the 12' tarps. It works just fine and I have never seen the need to add a second pole. When I sewed the ridge seam I add a length of satin ribbon captured in the ridge seam that hangs inside the tarp and is used to tie the pole in place. The pole pockets were easy to make.. I used Ofrey Grosgrain Ribbon for that. I've deleted the dead weight of the pole tips since they aren't needed with the pockets. The pole is just under 7 oz. At this point, I no longer consider it a luxury item and always carry it when using the hex tarps.

I use the short length of shock cord on the doors because it's inevitable that I will trip on the door lines at some point. The shock cord gives me a little give. I've thought of Kam snaps and velcro, but neither seem necessary or worthwhile. I use mini ucr's on the door corners. If needed, the doors can be pinned back in the open position, either by clipping the doors at opposite ends to each other leaving both ends open, or clipping one end to the centrally located side panel pull (which is what I usually do) leaving the head end closed. I tried a few different hardware arrangements on doors.. mitten hooks, micro biners, side release clips.. nothing works as good or is as lite as the Dutch door hooks.

As far as shortening the ridge to 11'... I never gave it a thought. It's 6" of extra rain protection at each end. Living in the NE, I have yet to have an issue with short hangs that can't be accommodated. That said, I do plan to add another tie out point on the ridge seam just in case I get stuck in a tight situation. It's quite easy with a standing french seam on the ridge. I'll likely add it to only one end at 8" in or so. The weight penalty of six inches of additional grosgrain and a split ring is worth it but since I haven't had a problem yet, I am procrastinating on that project.

Having worked with 0.9 membrane, I deemed it too light for a winter tarp. I was concerned that snow weight might damage it, so I stayed with 1.1 Silpoly.
    Bob's brother-in-law

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast