Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    KC Cat Tangle 12
    Insulation
    LLG CR, Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie & shackle

What fits in my SLD catch-all sack...

OK, I was able to play around with my SLD catch-all sack yesterday morning. Mine is an 8’, regular-width sack in dark olive. In the sack ready for this weekend are:
    • regular-width Dutch Chameleon single layer in Hexon 1.6 with CLs
    • Dutch asym bugnet
    • ridgeline organizer
    • 2Q2Z peak bag
    • Dutch Sidecar
    • Wooki XL, 20°
    • LLG 20° Ghost Pepper 52x80, +2 oz overstuffed
    • down pillow
    • kitsapcowboy War Bag (gear hammock) on whoopies

The photo shows what it looks like pulling the sack down from the head end, and how far it gets to the foot end. From here, I just disconnected the foot end from the suspension and pushed it all into the tube.

AC1201D2-63F3-4BC1-A678-92F5F052410E.jpeg

I can pack this tube into a 15L dry bag, but I have next to no room for a tarp, suspension, or stakes. And to do it, I have to keep one end of the sack opened because it traps air inside. Pushing it all into the dry bag reminded me of when a magician swallows a 4’ balloon... and I’m pretty sure the trick works more or less the same way.

It’s definitely not as easy to either pack or deploy as a black bishop bag is for a hammock... but it’s just one bag, instead of three or more for the hammock, quilts, and other gear. I think I’m going to like it, as long as it cooperates when it comes time to shove it into a bag or pack.

Hammock
    DWG + SLD Voyager
    Tarp
    WBEdge+SLD WindH
    Insulation
    SLD IUQP
    Suspension
    DWG + WBFisHooks
    SLD nylon 10' regular olive:

*20 Top quilt
    *20 Bottom
    *SLD 2.4 Trail Lair with top cover
    *Hennessy large storage
    *AHE ridgeline organizer
    *SLD peak bag
    *Klymit Luxe pillow
    *2x SLD saddle bag
    *Lazy hanger ridgeline
    *Nit ize clip light
    *4 shock tieouts and hooks

Fits into myTrailCo 70

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us" - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Half-wit (3 season), Chameleon (win
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltaNu1142 View Post
    OK, I was able to play around with my SLD catch-all sack yesterday morning. Mine is an 8’, regular-width sack in dark olive. In the sack ready for this weekend are:
    • Dutch asym bugnet
    • ridgeline organizer
    • 2Q2Z peak bag
    • Dutch Sidecar
    • Wooki XL, 20°
    • down pillow

The photo shows what it looks like pulling the sack down from the head end, and how far it gets to the foot end. From here, I just disconnected the foot end from the suspension and pushed it all into the tube.

I can pack this tube into a 15L dry bag, but I have next to no room for a tarp, suspension, or stakes. And to do it, I have to keep one end of the sack opened because it traps air inside. Pushing it all into the dry bag reminded me of when a magician swallows a 4’ balloon... and I’m pretty sure the trick works more or less the same way.

It’s definitely not as easy to either pack or deploy as a black bishop bag is for a hammock... but it’s just one bag, instead of three or more for the hammock, quilts, and other gear. I think I’m going to like it, as long as it cooperates when it comes time to shove it into a bag or pack.
    The trapped air is one concern I had when I ordered mine so I got the mesh instead, and it works great.

I have the larger version, and for this weekend I had the following wrapped by the catch-all:
    o Dutch Chameleon, standard width
    o Ridgeline organizer
    o Sidesling
    o EE Revelation 20* TQ
    o Hammock Gear Econ Incubator 0* UQ
    o 2QZQ Underquilt protector
    o An old Redhead synthetic compressible pillow

I just stuff mine into a compactor bag in my pack. The entire setup takes up about half of a Exos 58, but again that’s with a full length 0* underquilt. Stuffing the compactor bag takes a minute or two, but once my suspension is hung, my hammock and quilts are in place and ready to go in about 30 seconds. If I really need more space, I could get a true compression bag and probably compress another 25%. But that might mean relofting could take a little longer.

Hammock
    Dutchware
    Tarp
    Sld / Kitsapcowboy
    Insulation
    Sld T Winder / Llg
    Suspension
    Dw / Sheltowee
    Images
    • Dutch asym bugnet
    • ridgeline organizer
    • 2Q2Z peak bag
    • Dutch Sidecar
    • Wooki XL, 20°
    • down pillow

I had the same catch all sil nylon tube & the trapped air i had to wrestle with made it not worth the pack time. I decided on the bug mesh style catch all tube & there is no air to be trapped cause of the open mesh.
    HAMmock po·lyg·a·mist

Thanks for the great visual aid. Just pulled the trigger on one this morning for my winter kit.

Hammock
    Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    KC Cat Tangle 12
    Insulation
    LLG CR, Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie & shackle
    Quote Originally Posted by TxAggie View Post
    The trapped air is one concern I had when I ordered mine so I got the mesh instead, and it works great.
    Hmm... I don’t know why I didn’t give the mesh sack more consideration. Thanks for sharing.

Hammock
    XLC/SLD 11' Tree Runner/BB
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/SLD WH
    Insulation
    Jacks 'R' Better
    Suspension
    MyersTech/Dyneema
    Images
    9" Mesh Catch All

• SL 1.7 XLC
    • Greylock 4
    • Hudson River Quilt (+1)
    • JRB Summer Blanket/Quilt Liner

before compressed and folded.
    "...in Florida, she felt air conditioning for the first time, and it was cold and unnatural upon her skin."

Hammock
    Half-wit (3 season), Chameleon (win
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    Hmm... I don’t know why I didn’t give the mesh sack more consideration. Thanks for sharing.
    I had just watched Spiguyver’s video on the mesh tarp skins and he mentioned they can pick up a little duff, I was worried that might be an issue with the catch all as well. Most times, I’m able to avoid the catch all from touching the ground simply because I unhook the first end and immediately start stuffing into my pack. The opposite end remains hanging in the air until I get most of the hammock into my pack, then I unhook and stuff into the compactor bag. This way also helps me keep that continuous loop right on top and easy to grasp when I go to hang the hammock.

Using this method, I don’t really have to worry about the catch all coming in contact with the ground. If it does it’s only briefly and very little, if any, material actually gets into the mesh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got mine in the mail over the weekend while I was out on a trip. Here's my 10 foot silnylon cold weather version with my 11 foot hammock and 0 degree set (EE Enigma and HG Econ Incubator). It fits perfect when I stuff it in my big drybag from Wal-Mart and I'll have plenty of room for extras. Looking forward to taking it for a test run the end of the month.

Hammock
    DWG + SLD Voyager
    Tarp
    WBEdge+SLD WindH
    Insulation
    SLD IUQP
    Suspension
    DWG + WBFisHooks
    Quote Originally Posted by michigandave View Post
    I got mine in the mail over the weekend while I was out on a trip. Here's my 10 foot silnylon cold weather version with my 11 foot hammock and 0 degree set (EE Enigma and HG Econ Incubator). It fits perfect when I stuff it in my big drybag from Wal-Mart and I'll have plenty of room for extras. Looking forward to taking it for a test run the end of the month.
    Hey nice stuff sack! I wonder if a few eyelet rivets or sewn button slits would help those with air issues or if it would just degrade the integrity of the build?
    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us" - Ralph Waldo Emerson

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast