The cured intestines of my enemies
    Tarp
    Wing of bat
    Insulation
    Possum fur
    Suspension
    of disbelief

Hooked on hookworms

I used these for the first time last weekend. They're neat.

I had planned to leave them attached to my stakes rather than my tarp, but when I tried that in my test run at home, the hookworms lived up their name and "hooked" into my figure-8'ed guy-out cord, and everything got tangled. So I removed the stakes and left them hooked to the loops of shockcord I have at my tarp guy-out points.

For those who keep their hookworms unhooked - how do you deal with the hook tangling issue?

For reference, I use 1.3 mm reflective Dutchwire for my tie outs. Prior to the hookworms I was using Slide Locks (like a linelok, but they have a moving piece, like a cinch buckle, and work for thinner cord than lineloks do). They worked OK, but if I mistreated them I could create a groove in the plastic that made them slip.

The hookworms are pretty much as easy to use as a Slide Lock or linelok, but are 100% reliable and indestructable. And are somehow pleasurable to use. The way a simple loop of cord bites down on itself and holds firm, yet undoes with a yank, seems like magic.

Hammock
    Chameleon 2.4
    Tarp
    WB Mini/Super Flys
    Insulation
    LL Reaper&WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Beetle/Dyneema/15'

Hooked on hookworms

I slide the worm all the way to the end of the line then wrap the line around the stake. When I deploy, I grab the worm and just let the stake fall to the ground while the line unravels from gravity.

Works great for me.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC v2
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB / HG / UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by RazorSharp View Post
    I slide the worm all the way to the end of the line then wrap the line around the stake. When I deploy, I grab the worm and just let the stake fall to the ground while the line unravels from gravity.

Works great for me.
    This is what I do too.

Also, to satisfy an occasional OCD streak, gives me a chance to glance at my knot at the end to make sure it's still there.

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    That's what I do also. Just wrap it around the stake, and that's that. I have a ziploc bag I put the stakes in, which keeps the residual dirt and stuff contained.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki 0deg
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Add me to the list. This is what I do as well and have had no issues. Also +1 on the ziplock bag. I get most of the dirt off of my stakes but this just ensures that everything else stays clean.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20*
    Suspension
    June Bugs
    I have hook worms for one of my tarps, and fleaz with shock cord for another. Both have their strengths and weaknesses. I've come to prefer fleaz for colder temps as they're easier to do with gloved hands.

I'm the odd guy out. I use Fleaz as though they were Hookworms. The guyline is strung though the hole, the hook grabs a loop of shock cord or LashIt/ZingIt on the tarp tie-outs. The wrap on the Fleaz is backwards from the standard usage but I prefer that to the Hookworm means of securing the guyline. That keeps the hardware off the tarp, like Hookworms do. Just my preference.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    SLD TW/HG Econ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by TominMN View Post
    I'm the odd guy out. I use Fleaz as though they were Hookworms. The guyline is strung though the hole, the hook grabs a loop of shock cord or LashIt/ZingIt on the tarp tie-outs. The wrap on the Fleaz is backwards from the standard usage but I prefer that to the Hookworm means of securing the guyline. That keeps the hardware off the tarp, like Hookworms do. Just my preference.
    I can see how this is a bit easier. Wrapping around the "wing/antenna" is definitely easier (requires less manual dexterity and effort) than the little "loop & latch" maneuver required with hookworms. However, the hook doesn't "snap" onto the line (at least not 3/32 shock cord or 1.75 mm line) the was it does with hookworms, so there's a chance (albeit small) that it could "fall off". Still, I recently got a couple of Fleaz, so I'll have to give that method a try the next time I'm out.

Also, another +1 for keeping the hookworms on the line and wrapping around the stakes. I just recently switched the lines from 1.75 mm zing-it to 1.18 mm micro-cord. I didn't have a problem with the zing-it, but the micro cord is a bit less bulky and marginally lighter (stake + hookworm + 8' of zing-it = 16.0 grams; stake + hookworm + 8' of micro cord = 13.4 grams). Granted, I'm no weight weenie (yet), but I know every little bit helps. As others do, I just wrap the line around the stake (I use generic aluminum "Y" stakes, 7" long) and then tuck the hookworm into the wrapping to secure it. There's a loop on the end of the line that stays outside and a gentle tug unwinds the whole thing.

Hammock
    DW Banyan
    Tarp
    HG DCF Palace
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    DW Beetle Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Baka Dasai View Post
    Prior to the hookworms I was using Slide Locks (like a linelok, but they have a moving piece, like a cinch buckle, and work for thinner cord than lineloks do). They worked OK, but if I mistreated them I could create a groove in the plastic that made them slip.

The hookworms are pretty much as easy to use as a Slide Lock or linelok, but are 100% reliable and indestructable. And are somehow pleasurable to use. The way a simple loop of cord bites down on itself and holds firm, yet undoes with a yank, seems like magic.
    I had trouble using my hookworms in the cold rain on my last trip. It was very difficult to make a good loop. I am trying out slide locks. So far so good. I haven’t found any issues using them. Can you tell more about your experience with slide locks, especially with regard to mistreating them?

Hammock
    netless mostly...
    Tarp
    DW Winter, Hex 12
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Incu E20
    Suspension
    Whoopie-Spider
    Tried hookworms and it is likely 100% user error but found them unreliable or more precisely I found that it is easier and less fiddly to make a simple slippery hitch more reliable than a hookworm. Namaclaws are a bit heavier but couldn't be simpler and are 100% idiot-proof reliable every single time. Guess I fall into that target audience.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast