Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images

NJ > 7th Annual NJ Thanksgiving Hang > 11/23 - 25th - There Will Be Flood

Another great hang in the books. Friday night's meal was great, with an overnight low of 21* F. Saturday breakfast and lunch were also great, but the really impressive part started around dinnertime Saturday night. A hellacious rainstorm, the worst I've ever seen in the Pine Barrens moved in, and it immediately started wreaking havoc, tearing out tarp stakes and exposing the quilts to torrential rain. Krust and Y Not both went home after getting their insulation soaked. Tigglet's Chill Gorilla Fortress tarp turned out to be an absolute joke of a tarp (caveat emptor), leaking everywhere, but luckily someone had a spare tarp for her to borrow. When buying a $20 or $40 Amazon tarp, expect $20 to $40 worth of performance!

As the storm grew in intensity, there wasn't much to do but go to bed, so everyone had headed to the hammocks by about 10:30 pm. Many did not fare well. For the first time probably ever, SilentOrpheus and njredneck were driven to ground, sleeping in njredneck's army surplus tent for what must have been a miserable night. Many others were driven to sleep in their cars; the storm was just too much.

I only had to walk about 15 yards from njredneck's tent to my hammock, but I got soaked in that short distance. While my HG Winter Palace tarp had stayed in place, the driving rain had gotten my quilts and hammock wet, and the inside of the tarp was soaked with condensation. Nevertheless, I just kicked off my shoes, placed them in the Sidecar of my Chameleon, and went to sleep with all my clothes on, wet as they were. Luckily, the low was only 31* and I had my HG hydrophobic down 0* quilts, so I stayed warm (though I was still wet in the morning).

And then morning broke, and we saw how bad the storm had actually been. While camp43 had setup Friday night in a perfectly dry spot, he woke up Sunday morning to about 8 inches of water underneath his hammock. Upon seeing his predicament, I hear he uttered, "Oh My God" in amazement. There he is sleeping comfortably in his hammock on Lake Geoffrey (named after him).

IMG_0947.jpg

Camp43 was able to borrow some Wellington boots, and wade out in Lake Geoffrey to pack up his hammock.

IMG_0950.jpg

While most had gone home by that time, the fun had just begun for Cranky Bear because he locked his keys in his car, with the car running. The code to unlock his door was stored on his phone, also locked in the car. Calls were made to Ford to try to gain the default factory code, to no avail. Monkeynono had a Jimmy kit, but the metal thingies weren't long enough to reach the lock/unlock button. So CrankyBear went around asking if anyone had a coat hanger. Nobody had a coat hanger.

After an hour or so, fallkniven didn't want to miss the excitement, so he wandered over to CrankyBear's car. While the metal thingie Jimmie tool wasn't long enough to reach the unlock button, fallkniven asked why they didn't just pull the handle and unlock the door. He was told in no uncertain terms that he was foolish for suggesting such a thing, that modern cars don't work that way. So fallkniven just got that Jimmy tool, pulled the handle, and opened the door! Crisis solved. Egos bruised, but crisis solved. Fallkniven should change his name to Simple Kind of Man - he doesn't overthink things.

Before leaving, camp43 and I were walking around camp checking to see if anyone had left anything. He tripped on something, looked down and picked it up.

IMG_0952.jpg

Would you believe it? It was a coat hanger. Too late to help out Cranky Bear, but it was pretty funny finding that coat hanger when it was no longer needed.
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 11-25-2018 at 15:41.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Chris and Diane posing underneath my Bacon Tarp, a Guide Gear POS tarp. It is called the Bacon Tarp because the Guide Gear tarp was once mounted over a fire, and aircoder poured bacon fat all over the fire, soaking my tarp in bacon fat.

That's the smoker njredneck used to cook smoked pork loin for Saturday night dinner.

IMG_0939.jpg

SilentOrpheus playing Cornhole by himself (and commemorating it with a picture), because no one else wanted to play with him.

IMG_0940.jpg

Some furry-faced and not-so-furry-faced friends gathered around the campfire, before the deluge.

IMG_0941.jpg

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Posting to subscribe, but so much to unpack, both physically and mentally on this trip. I’ll post more when I’ve done both.

Hammock
    Hammock Envy S
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG INCU. 0*
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Ummmmm, it was me that unlocked the door... also had a great time even though it rained so bad. Slept like a log on my bridge and had great food.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeynono View Post
    Ummmmm, it was me that unlocked the door... also had a great time even though it rained so bad. Slept like a log on my bridge and had great food.
    Don't screw up my story! That's the way fallkniven told it to me (or at least the way I heard it). In his telling of the story, he was the hero. I was thinking the way I heard it might not be entirely correct.
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 11-25-2018 at 22:05.

I had a great time even with the cold and wind and rain. Met more really nice folks, learned more stuff, and got to test my mettle with colder temps and weather that I hadn’t experienced before...all good things.
    Big thank you to Chris & Diana for the spare tarp (& assistance swapping out the tarps in the rain) and for the cool gizmo used to jump kurtisd75’s car that wouldn’t start and silentorpheus for the help getting my UQ adjusted and the pre-monsoon tarp tweaks.

Have some pics will post later.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    As many of you know, I subscribe to the waterwatch.gov website which sends me notifications when the water levels on certain Pine Barrens rivers rise higher than I prescribe. I monitor the Mullica River, and I won't paddle that river if it ain't flowing at least 166 cubic feet per second (cfs).

I just got a text message that the Mullica River is at 522 cfs, basically 686% above normal. That's historic water levels. Flood stage is 5 ft., and we currently have 4.36 ft. Was that an epic rain storm we had last night or what? Five inches, I've read.

https://waterwatch.usgs.gov/?m=real&r=nj&w=map

The map colors are based on water level, and today, they're black. I've never seen the rivers marked black. I'm used to yellow or green or blue!
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 11-25-2018 at 23:32.

Hammock
    WB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Wooki/Mamba
    Images
    Wow! That sounds worse than the forecast of about an inch and winds at 10 mph or less. I suppose the storm preempted the soapbox of gratitude. I'll start.

I'm thankful for silentorpheus ( and all the helpers ) organizing this outing every year.
    I'm thankful for njredneck ( and all the helpers ) making all the fine food ( and hot tent ).
    I'm thankful for friends old and new, young and old to share campfire.
    I'm thankful for AcerbcSurfr setting the bar.
    I'm thankful for my wife, marriage, and wedding anniversary delivering me from the deluge.
    I'm thankful that the crazy piney in the green Toyota pickup who chased me out of the forest just left me be when I reached the safety of the Carranza Memorial.

Thanks to all

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatBigDave View Post
    I'm thankful for njredneck ( and all the helpers ) making all the fine food ( and hot tent ).
    Njredneck came out hurting after Saturday night. He looked rough. Guess he lost his hammock in the storm and had to sleep on the ground in the communal tent. When he woke up in the morning he was throwing up and couldn't keep water down. He skedaddled and left effensmurfy and son to pack up all his gear (300 lb. tent, cooker, etc.). I hope he feels better soon.

Hammock
    dutch chameleon
    Tarp
    Batona Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    Loco Libre
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle Susp
    Images
    Thank you for a great weekend.. looking forward for more! My equipment is drying out

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
    Hello I'm new to the forum. I'm also a new backpacker and hammock user.
    Y NOT= TONY SPELLED BACKWARDS

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast