Hammock
    Simply Light Design 10' netless
    Tarp
    WiL Tadpole
    Insulation
    AHE apex quilts
    Suspension
    Muletape
    Thanks for taking the time to post the photos. Very helpful showing the coverage of each one.
    http://www.stc-hike.org/ Susquehannock Trail Club web site - PA STS trail info

Hammock
    DH Darien / WBBB
    Tarp
    HEX Asym / Minifly
    Insulation
    HG Econ 40
    Suspension
    Beetle/ Cinch
    Images
    Thanks for sharing, Sir. Very educational!

Hammock
    Dutch 11' Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20 UQ
    Suspension
    whoppie sling
    Great pictures and descriptions. Just a quick question: How many stakes do you think one should carry with the Thunderfly?

For a standard hex without doors, one only needs 4 stakes, although I typically take a couple extra. I was browsing websites for winter tarps and found one (I think it was Hammock Gear's) that you can buy with or without all the guylines and stakes, and if you included stakes, it was 14 (fourteen!). I looked at the their pictures, and yep, if you stake out every stake-able point, including all the extra tie-outs as well as each door corner, it adds up to 14. Besides all the extra weight and bulk, the amount of time needed to setup and break down camp does not really appeal to me.

From your pictures, it looks like some setups did not need extra stakes for the doors, but some setups did. Hence, my question.

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jhersh View Post
    Great pictures and descriptions. Just a quick question: How many stakes do you think one should carry with the Thunderfly?

For a standard hex without doors, one only needs 4 stakes, although I typically take a couple extra. I was browsing websites for winter tarps and found one (I think it was Hammock Gear's) that you can buy with or without all the guylines and stakes, and if you included stakes, it was 14 (fourteen!). I looked at the their pictures, and yep, if you stake out every stake-able point, including all the extra tie-outs as well as each door corner, it adds up to 14. Besides all the extra weight and bulk, the amount of time needed to setup and break down camp does not really appeal to me.

From your pictures, it looks like some setups did not need extra stakes for the doors, but some setups did. Hence, my question.
    4 minimum unless you tie the corners to trees or rocks. The rest are all optional and the doors can be tied back if you desire.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Edge/SF
    Insulation
    40/40 30/20 20/0
    Suspension
    Woopie
    I take 8 stakes total.
    2 for my blackbird
    4 for the corners
    2 for tarp doors

If I want to try other options use tree for one side or one door in combination with the 2 stakes. If I need more I could make one but that seemed to work well.

Hammock
    WB: BB, BBXLC, RR
    Tarp
    WB: ALL
    Insulation
    WB-UQ / HG-TQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    B6D59F9B-AB2F-4904-9A02-951BD94F35D5.jpg5F4BEFFF-3417-4EC7-ACDC-3384EF5F50F8.jpg

Hey all, here’s 2 more of the Thunderfly in the awesome Bushwack Camo. Frazier Park mountains, 7,000’ elevation. There’s a BBXLC suspended under it.

Hammock
    Eldorado
    Tarp
    Minifly
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WayHigh View Post
    B6D59F9B-AB2F-4904-9A02-951BD94F35D5.jpg5F4BEFFF-3417-4EC7-ACDC-3384EF5F50F8.jpg

Hey all, here’s 2 more of the Thunderfly in the awesome Bushwack Camo. Frazier Park mountains, 7,000’ elevation. There’s a BBXLC suspended under it.
    WOWERZ!!! AWESOME...
    Instagram: TakeaHikeSpike
    Web: spike.ca
    YouTube: TakeaHikeSpike

Hammock
    Dutchware 11 foot
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    LL 20 to, WL 15uq
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by blgoode View Post
    I hope to give some insight into the advantages of both the Minifly and Thunderfly to make some choices easier for someone deciding between the 2.

Both of mine are very similar with no pullouts on either.

Packed weight with the same line and hardware is only 1.5 oz heavier with the thunderfly.

Thunder 13.6
    Mini 12.1

Outfitted with line and snake skins

Thunder 16.8
    Mini 15.3

Here are both ready for the pack and trip.

My favorite tarp is the edge tarp and I find it has done all I need in the heaviest storms I have been in with my 10' blackbird. But I wanted an option with doors to manage some wind and not worry about the end coverage at all. Using the edge so much I'm a little accustomed to getting the tarp down low and eliminate any rain issues so the end doors make me feel a little spoiled having them.

I also wanted a little more porch mode width for cooking a little farther out from my underquilt than the mini and edge widths are.... so that's why I wanted the thunderfly. My idea of a mini-superfly...... is the thunderfly.

Hammocks in pictures are both 10' blackbirds. The one under the Mini has the Wookiee underquilt and mine has hammock gear incubator with 2qzq underquilt protector under the thunderfly.

I tried to get a good representation of how much the doors will block.

Thanks for the write up. I’ve been looking at the thunderfly as an alternative to my superfly and finally decided to get my order in. Now just a short weeks wait....

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12