Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Edge/SF
    Insulation
    40/40 30/20 20/0
    Suspension
    Woopie

Minifly and Thunderfly comparison with pics.

I hope to give some insight into the advantages of both the Minifly and Thunderfly to make some choices easier for someone deciding between the 2.

Both of mine are very similar with no pullouts on either.

Packed weight with the same line and hardware is only 1.5 oz heavier with the thunderfly.

Thunder 13.6
    Mini 12.1

Outfitted with line and snake skins

Thunder 16.8
    Mini 15.3

Here are both ready for the pack and trip.

My favorite tarp is the edge tarp and I find it has done all I need in the heaviest storms I have been in with my 10' blackbird. But I wanted an option with doors to manage some wind and not worry about the end coverage at all. Using the edge so much I'm a little accustomed to getting the tarp down low and eliminate any rain issues so the end doors make me feel a little spoiled having them.

I also wanted a little more porch mode width for cooking a little farther out from my underquilt than the mini and edge widths are.... so that's why I wanted the thunderfly. My idea of a mini-superfly...... is the thunderfly.

Hammocks in pictures are both 10' blackbirds. The one under the Mini has the Wookiee underquilt and mine has hammock gear incubator with 2qzq underquilt protector under the thunderfly.

I tried to get a good representation of how much the doors will block.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Edge/SF
    Insulation
    40/40 30/20 20/0
    Suspension
    Woopie
    I didn't get as many pictures of the minifly but you can get the idea with the differences I hope by just reducing some width and door length from the thunderfly pictures.

My take on these 2 tarps.

The Minifly- is the perfect tarp for a small simple setup that gives you more end coverage for longer hammocks. You don't have to worry as much about setting it up too high because you can pull the doors down and compensate for that and not worry about your set up when the rain comes in on you unexpectedly. The mini is plenty large for most uses and plenty enough room under for cooking and keeping dry.

The Thunderfly - I was looking for 2 things that the mini didn't check off those boxes for me. A tad more width to cook farther out from your hammock when sitting under tarp. And a tad more door length for when you know it will be raining to allow you a little more real-estate under coverage to set up your things.

When I was cooking a few times under the edge tarp (same width as the mini) I had to pull my stove in 2" or so to avoid drips into my stove. The thunder fly corrected this.

And when I set up my chair (I don't prefer sitting in hammock to cook as I move around a lot and I worry the hammock swings too close to the flame and my underquilt will melt) so....
    When I set up my chair I have more door coverage to more the chair over and it is inside the doors a little better than the mini set up.

During our wet weekend I had to dig through my pack while it was in the only dry spot under my hammock because I had water run in under 2/3rds my set up not sitting in the hammock. The added tarp width of the thunder made this much more easily and kept me dry where the mini would have been a little more confined and not as "large feeling".

I also had to cook breakfast in the upper 1/3rd section of ground and making porch mode with the thunderfly door and one corner was perfect!!! That is exactly what I wanted that the mini didn't do quite as well.

Which will I take the most? Well time will tell but I see wet weather is predicted 60% and up- thunderfly wins. If I see higher winds, thunderfly will come down more when dropped to manage the wind a little better. If I see other conditions- the mini will come along. My edge is the most used tarp I own and I see the mini filling that notch easily in the future.

But my thunderfly is only 1.5oz heavier than the mini so...... it may see more use not that I have it!!!

Mini Closed Up

Mini closed up

Mini showing door length well

Thunderfly with doors back in porch mode

Thunderfly with doors back lower pitch

Thunderfly if closing 1 door down

Thunderfly with doors closed in porch mode

Minifly Width

Thunderfly Width

Thunderfly semi-porch with doors down

Thunderfly using door and 1 corner in porch mode

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair, HammockGear netless
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    HG Econ series
    Suspension
    straps and beetles
    Thanks for the detailed write-up. I’ve been debating between these two tarps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Edge/SF
    Insulation
    40/40 30/20 20/0
    Suspension
    Woopie
    Quote Originally Posted by bcliff View Post
    Thanks for the detailed write-up. I’ve been debating between these two tarps.

Curious what you have been debating. What draws you to each one.

Hammock
    Chameleon; Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Dutchware 11’ Hex
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    This is very helpful. I only wish I needed another tarp!

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images
    Great write up.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    HG Econ series
    Suspension
    straps and beetles
    Quote Originally Posted by blgoode View Post
    Curious what you have been debating. What draws you to each one.
    Well, I'm interested in upgrading my current tarp situation. I've got a basic hex tarp now but am interested in something with doors but if I'm honest with myself, the frequency of my bad-weather hanging is rare. Essentially, one of these tarps will be my go-to tarp 99% of the time so I'm debating how much door coverage I need (for my purposes).

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Edge/SF
    Insulation
    40/40 30/20 20/0
    Suspension
    Woopie
    Well, I'm interested in upgrading my current tarp situation. I've got a basic hex tarp now but am interested in something with doors but if I'm honest with myself, the frequency of my bad-weather hanging is rare. Essentially, one of these tarps will be my go-to tarp 99% of the time so I'm debating how much door coverage I need (for my purposes).
    If I was picking 1 I would get the thunderfly with no pullouts. It really would be my choice if I were adding doors. The mini is great and I'll use it I know but using the door in porch mode sold me on the thunderfly for the win on this trip. But that is splitting hairs because I could have made the mini work also. Just a little tighter.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    HG Econ series
    Suspension
    straps and beetles
    Quote Originally Posted by blgoode View Post
    If I was picking 1 I would get the thunderfly with no pullouts. It really would be my choice if I were adding doors. The mini is great and I'll use it I know but using the door in porch mode sold me on the thunderfly for the win on this trip. But that is splitting hairs because I could have made the mini work also. Just a little tighter.
    Thanks. Something tells me I’ll be on a spending spree tomorrow!

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20*
    Suspension
    June Bugs
    Thanks. Something tells me I’ll be on a spending spree tomorrow!

I ordered a Thunderfly last weekend while it was on sale. Too good a deal to pass up

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast