Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Trail Haven
    Suspension
    beetle

Hello from Houston

I am brand new to hammocks.

We family camp 4-6 times a year with our cub scout pack. My oldest of three will be moving to boy scouts next year, which will mean camping once a month. I have researched a lot and even purchased 'The Ultimate Hang'. I think with the sales this weekend I am looking to buy the Clark Vertex Ultra so I can sleep with one of my cubs. Once in scouts I will be sleeping by myself. From what I have read, this hammock works well for just one person and gear.

Next campout is in two weeks. Looking forward to trying it out. Haven't pulled the trigger yet, any advice appreciated.

Jeremy

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    I am brand new to hammocks... purchased 'The Ultimate Hang'.
    That right there is the best first purchase you could have made. It'll be a great introduction and a continuing reference and is well worth the price. It'll save you that much in time, money and aggravation within a few months.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Senior Member StrungUpNewfoundlander's Avatar
    Hammock
    LSOH Warrior XL
    Tarp
    LSOH FireFly
    Insulation
    LSOH Toaster
    Suspension
    Whoopie Dutch Bits
    Images
    Welcome and indeed you’re off to a good start with that book and this forum.
    Best Kind

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Howdy and welcome to the trees!

There's a lot of good hanging spots here in Texas in spite of what one might think on first blush.

My best advice without knowing anything about your world is to suggest you look at some of the very affordable hammocks folks like Dutch and Poppa Smurf carry, (I love my Dream Hammock). Pinch pennies on the first hammock and tarp. You may even consider a blue noisy tarp from Walmart for starters. Then put your money into quality insulation from folks like Paul and Missy with UGQ or Adam with Hammock Gear.

Go to a group hang, look at and test some of the wide varieties of set ups folks have and then consider spending more when you are a better informed consumer. As for the group hangs, we have several in Texas so don't be shy about checking some out.
    Texas Fall Group Hang 2019

Looking back to last year to reminisce and forward to post Covid-19 hangs in 2021

Texas Hammock Hangers Facebook Group

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    Trail Haven
    Suspension
    beetle
    Thanks for the advice. I am looking at getting myself a Chameleon and a less expensive one for my kids.

Was looking at doing a DIY UQ as I have one December and one January campout. As you well know it could be in the 30's at night or just dip into the 50's like last night.I hate to spend a ton of money on that and it end up being in the 60's. But I do understand the importance of keeping warm, especially for the youngsters.

BTW i camp a couple times a year at Bovay just south of CS.

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    Thanks for the advice. I am looking at getting myself a Chameleon and a less expensive one for my kids.

Was looking at doing a DIY UQ as I have one December and one January campout. As you well know it could be in the 30's at night or just dip into the 50's like last night.I hate to spend a ton of money on that and it end up being in the 60's. But I do understand the importance of keeping warm, especially for the youngsters.

BTW i camp a couple times a year at Bovay just south of CS.
    Yep, that Texas weather line about if you don't like it, wait a minute and it will change is true. I'll be in shorts cooking in the driveway tomorrow and then we should have windchills in the 20's Monday morning.

Our Bovay story goes back a few decades before prior to the ink being dry on the paperwork donating the place. The Arrowmoon district in which my son was a scout and I was a leader, wanted some scouts on site looking like they were enjoying the beauty of the place to help crystalize the vision for the place in the eyes of some contributors. My son and I were there as "extras" and eye candy

We'll be at Fairfield Lake State Park for their Christmas in the park the second weekend in December and at McKinney Falls with a group in January. Winter camping is the best in this part of the country.

I see you found our FB page, welcome aboard there as well.
    Texas Fall Group Hang 2019

Looking back to last year to reminisce and forward to post Covid-19 hangs in 2021

Texas Hammock Hangers Facebook Group

• + New Posts