Tarp
    HG Journey
    Insulation
    HG incubator
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Images

Top cover for winter

My top cover just came in for my raven. I was wondering if anyone had experience with top covers what should I expect for warmth and such. Yes I still plan on using a tarp. Anything to cut the wind lol.

Hammock
    Argon 11 ft or HH BKUL
    Tarp
    Asym DIY Pole Mod
    Insulation
    DIY, Jarbrige,HHSS
    Suspension
    Lashings
    Images
    A couple of us use the Hennessy Top Cover (HH calls it an 'Over Cover') with our super shelter bottom insulation/cover to make an almost winter sock. I don't know your exact make, but I find that leaving a small (couple inch) gap between the TC and hammock keeps condensation under control and any moisture that build up drips off the sides, not in your insulation.
    I like that it keeps your face warmer due to interior temp being warmer. A breath catcher for cold weather helps a lot with condensation control too.
    Rough numbers for the HH 'Over Cover': a bugnet adds about 5F to the interior air temp, a TC on top of the bugnet adds about 10 to 15F (my bugnet is not removable). The small gap around the edges doesn't seem to have much of an effect on interior temp even with a breeze.

At 3 oz it is a pretty good item to bring along in marginal weather:
    https://hennessyhammock.com/products/overcover-1
    Last edited by oldpappy; 11-24-2018 at 10:30.
    Enjoying the simple things in life -
    Own less, live more.

Hammock
    DH Sparrow #2779
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ-HG/KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Kevlar/Ti CinchBkl
    Images
    I measured this in a backyard experiment a few years ago: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...-Overcover-Add

TL;DR - a topcover adds between 10 & 25 degrees F compared to outside temperature.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoe makers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but up in the Mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men.
    - Daniel Webster

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    0° Zepp/Ren...UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware bb sus
    Images
    works pretty good on my Chameleon, not sure how the design for a Raven compares. So far, no condensation/frosting issues, but I definitely notice a difference in the air movement when I open it.

Sent from my SM-T827V using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dream hammock Raven
    Tarp
    HG Journey
    Insulation
    HG incubator
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Images
    Here is what the set up looks like. Today it's a bit warm but oh well. 42 degrees I have a dream hammock raven with overcover. It has a large vent at the head end. Hammock gear 0 degree econ incubator and a snugpack top quilt. When it gets cold I plan on using my -5 degree mummy bag until I can get a winter top quilt. 20181124_125634.jpg20181124_125634.jpg

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    0° Zepp/Ren...UGQ
    Suspension
    Dutchware bb sus
    Images
    yeah, I'd layer the other quilt with the mummy bag, it really does help. I layer my 50° Summer quilts over my 0° quilts as a back up in case it goes colder, and so far. This winter I have a 30° quilt set to layer with it, so I KNOW I'm good below my previous lowest temp.

Sent from my SM-T827V using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Dream hammock Raven
    Tarp
    HG Journey
    Insulation
    HG incubator
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Images
    It's not a bad i idea. I have seen people layer underquilts.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    My experience with a top cover ( ENVYS with built in top cover ) showed that I could expect about a 10 degree increase in the temps inside the hammock compared to outside. I used 3 of the same thermometers, one inside the hammock hanging of the ridge line, one just outside the hammock on a small table and one on a picnic table about 50 feet from the hammock and not protected from the elements. I found the thermometer just outside the hammock showed it to be about 5 degrees colder and the thermometer 50 feet away showed it to be 10 degrees colder. I have done this several times and get similar results.

Most times I do not totally close the Top Cover so as to allow some ventilation and reduce possible condensation
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I have ENVYS and use a sock with the other hammocks. I do this because, though the city has a policy about outside lights shinning on neighboring properties, they have no policy against interior lighting. And they give developers waivers to build closer then 5 ft offsets so the inside hallway lights of one house can shine on the outside entrance way of a neighbor. Or rather, right in the eyes of someone sleeping in a hammock. Then we have the "Freeway" style street light that shines like the sun and according to the city is no longer required by code, but they have no policy/law/procedure to remove it. Sometime I'll mention how I really feel about no being able to see the stars.

In addition to light blocking - I've found the shield necessary on full moon nights when the moon is high in the sky - socks/covers do add additional warmth. So I can use my lighter UQ's longer. When camping, I don't have to worry as much about the direction of the wind or if wind direction will change.

It can turn the hammock setup into almost a suspended single wall tent - with the same condensation issues. But one can play with the opening near the head end to get the needed ventilation. When it is really cold, I wear a balaclava to keep the face warm. Everything else is tucked into cozy down.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarmeat View Post
    It can turn the hammock setup into almost a suspended single wall tent - with the same condensation issues.
    That's the thing about my Chameleon top cover - it causes major condensation. It has to be 10* F or below before I'll consider using it. When it's that cold, who cares about condensation?
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast