SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    SLD TW/HG Econ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Micro cord, hookworms and shock cord

Just got a roll of Atwood micro cord from the Black Friday sale and it's pretty impressive stuff. Lightweight and seems plenty strong for use as tarp tie-outs. I've been using zing-it, but feel like the micro cord may be a better choice.

I also use hookworms on my WL tadpole and would like to use them on a newly ordered HG Voyage II. Anyone used micro cord with hookworms and/or care to comment on compatibility?

Finally, rather than buying more hookworms, I'd prefer to just outfit the new tarp with shock cord loops so I can easily swap lines/stakes between the tarps. Actually, I carry the stakes/lines in a separate pouch, so I'd just being that and whichever tarp seems appropriate to the weather. I know 3/32 is recommended, but I already have a whole bunch of 1/16. As that's a bit thinner, the hooks may not "click" the way they do with 3/32, but if they're under tension, I suspect they should stay on well enough. Again, anyone have experience with this combo (hookworms and 1/16 shock cord)?

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I think 1/16th it a bit too weak. I would worry about it shredding under high winds.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    SLD 11'
    Tarp
    11' HG w/ doors
    Insulation
    DIY or HG
    Suspension
    Webbing/Beckett
    What dutch said. 1/16 really cant hold anything that actually has tension. More to take up slack then anything.

Quote Originally Posted by CVKealey View Post
    Just got a roll of Atwood micro cord from the Black Friday sale and it's pretty impressive stuff. Lightweight and seems plenty strong for use as tarp tie-outs. I've been using zing-it, but feel like the micro cord may be a better choice.

I also use hookworms on my WL tadpole and would like to use them on a newly ordered HG Voyage II. Anyone used micro cord with hookworms and/or care to comment on compatibility?

Finally, rather than buying more hookworms, I'd prefer to just outfit the new tarp with shock cord loops so I can easily swap lines/stakes between the tarps. Actually, I carry the stakes/lines in a separate pouch, so I'd just being that and whichever tarp seems appropriate to the weather. I know 3/32 is recommended, but I already have a whole bunch of 1/16. As that's a bit thinner, the hooks may not "click" the way they do with 3/32, but if they're under tension, I suspect they should stay on well enough. Again, anyone have experience with this combo (hookworms and 1/16 shock cord)?

I use zing it loops larks headed to my tarp to catch my hook worms. Have never had one to come loose since they are always under some tension. Yes, my tie out cords are fixed to my stakes.
    If you prepare for failure you will probably succeed.

Hammock
    hh safari deluxe
    Tarp
    stock hex
    Suspension
    diy whoopies
    all right... you made me do some research this morning

Micro-cord(1.18mm) has a "stated" strength of 100# & a weight of 0.28 grams/ft

Zing-It(1.75mm) has a "stated" strength of 500# & a weight of 0.6 grams/ft

SO... Zing-It weighs 2x Micro-Cord's weight and is advertised to have 5x the strength

¿ aint phone apps fun ?

sw
    "we are the people our parents warned us about" jb

steve

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Micro cord is polyester/nylon and zingit is uhmwpe, so that splains a lot!

However, I had a HG hex tarp strung up with micro cord guy outs at Dolly Sods as the remnants of Hurricane Michael were exiting toward the northeast, and the pressure gradient behind it produced winds of at least 40mph with some higher gusts. It was not a fun night to be hanging, and a couple of times I thought surely the tarp and guy lines were going to be shredded, but all held fine for a solid 12 hours.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

• + New Posts