BBXLC
    Tarp
    UGQ winterdream 12
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    buckles or Daisy
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    Yes, that is to be expected. The body of the XLC is basically a Traveler XL with zippers; it behaves like any other netless hammock. I, too, like the footbox. As long as the footbox side is zipped on, the hammock has a different feel to it, and stuff cannot go over board. That's why I don't zip the XLC UQP to the Topcover but rather use a normal UQP with shock cords. You can also use the Travel Sock XL over the XLC with the net zipped on, but then you would not be able to stake out the sides. Unfortunately, there's no perfect solution at the moment. Maybe somebody will come up with a mod, but I haven't read anything so far.

I guess this would be a question Brandon could answer....why didn't they design it with another separate zipper on the hammock body to zip the UQP to? Weight?

Hammock
    WBBB SL 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Mamajamba
    Insulation
    WB 0° Wooki +3oz
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdisgrace View Post
    why didn't they design it with another separate zipper on the hammock body to zip the UQP to? Weight?
    My guess is, that the reason is the underquilt. You could add more zippers, but where would they be located so that they don't interfere with the fit of the underquilt or the other zippers?

Hammock
    BBXLC
    Tarp
    UGQ winterdream 12
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    buckles or Daisy
    Quote Originally Posted by hutzelbein View Post
    My guess is, that the reason is the underquilt. You could add more zippers, but where would they be located so that they don't interfere with the fit of the underquilt or the other zippers?
    OK, makes sense now. When you shift around in the hammock the UQ needs to be free to adjust to your body position.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdisgrace View Post
    I thought I would like this also but what I found was when I zipped the UQP directly to the top cover (or bugnet) it rendered the footbox useless. The hammock sides just flopped inward on me & top quilt worked its way out of the hammock & slid down into the UQP. Same thing up near the entry pullout & shelf (pillow tends to slide out & down). Anyone else experience this??
    I understand what your saying but personally dont have the floppy fabric issue. My diagonal lay has me pretty close to edge to edge but I have experienced what your saying when I tried making a wide chameleon my main hammock... way too much material, really hated it so I guess it comes down to body size/shape and how far diagonal you lay.

Hammock
    WB: BB, BBXLC, RR
    Tarp
    WB: ALL
    Insulation
    WB-UQ / HG-TQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Hey all, for what it’s worth; I’m using this exact system now and still have and enjoy the infamous footbox. As recent as last weekend and headed to the mountains this Friday night, 11-30-2018. XLC inside the “Chinook” which is the winter top cover zipped directly to the UQP, having the XLC lay inside. The fabric does have the tendency to be flappy perhaps, but as you slide your feet into position, maybe guide the fabric with a free hand, that is what works for me and I love it. Currently using the 20’ Wookie underquilt as well, awesome ��
    Also, I was confused on how to attach both winter items and an email to Warbonnet confirmed that they “should” be zipped together...personal preference of course.
    Tom

Hammock
    BB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie and LL TQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I've played with the Chinook setup as well in different configurations. One option is covering the XLC while leaving the bugnet still attached. Unzip the net on the primary lay side and throw the excess over the ridgeline so you only have to unzip the winter cover to get out. The footbox still maintains it's shape since it is still zippered to the bugnet on the foot side. Obviously this setup is more weight and has extra fabric flopping around but you don't have to fiddle with swapping zippered components if you have the bugnet on normally.

Hammock
    WBBB-XLC 1.1 DL w/winter cover
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Yeti + REI sit pad
    Suspension
    Strap + Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by reznix View Post
    I've played with the Chinook setup as well in different configurations. One option is covering the XLC while leaving the bugnet still attached. Unzip the net on the primary lay side and throw the excess over the ridgeline so you only have to unzip the winter cover to get out. The footbox still maintains it's shape since it is still zippered to the bugnet on the foot side. Obviously this setup is more weight and has extra fabric flopping around but you don't have to fiddle with swapping zippered components if you have the bugnet on normally.
    I assume you also lose the storage shelf if you zip the UQP and Top cover together. Maybe not? By doing this, would you also retain the storage shelf?
    Last edited by MisterS; 11-28-2018 at 12:51.

Hammock
    WB: BB, BBXLC, RR
    Tarp
    WB: ALL
    Insulation
    WB-UQ / HG-TQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Images
    Hey MisterS,
    The shelf is still there, 100%. The ingenious zipper design runs up under the shelf (if that makes sense) and does not affect it in any way.

Images
    So yes, I was trying to keep it simpler and save weight and cost, not everybody uses a UQP. I can see how the end of your topquilt could spill over the edge if say it was longer than you needed or you had the quilt pushed down under your arms making it longer at the foot end. You feet shouldn't be falling over the edge and if your quilt is snug at your feet it should all stay in the hammock but if there is any excess length I could see that spilling over the edge.

We can also make a length of GGR webbing with 3 zipper halves sewn together so you can attach hammock body, topcover and UQP all together...email me if anybody is interested in that.

Brandon

Hammock
    BB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie and LL TQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    I have to check again but I think you get two shelves if you use the bugnet with the chinook setup combined. One from the regular hammock bugnet and a second from zipping the uqp to the winter top cover over top of everything. To clarify, the reason for leaving the bugnet on is to keep the defined footbox and just leave unzipped the side you get in and out of. A side benefit could be an extra storage area.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast