Hammock
    ridgerunner
    Tarp
    superfly
    Suspension
    buckles

HammockGear 10-foot tarp for Blackbird XLC's 11-foot hammock?

I cannot recall if this is a good idea: 10-foot tarp for 11-foot hammock.

I'm considering a custom 10-foot HammockGear Dyneema-Fiber tarp that will allow me to squeeze into tighter situations. My current tarp is the 11-foot Superfly from Warbonnet Outdoors; I have had a couple of extremely close calls while car camping. Unfortunately, Warbonnet does not make 10-foot Superfly tarps.

Seeing as the Blackbird XLC's 11-foot hammock has a 9.33-foot structural ridgeline (SRL), I would have 4'' of tarp overhang on each end of the hammock. The hammock's gathered-end probably accounts for 2-3 inches on each end; I currently use webbing for my suspension.

It's a tight fit, but will this concept have negative effects?

Hammock
    WildernessLogics 12x6
    Tarp
    HG cuben 13ridge12
    Insulation
    TopQuiltUnderQuilt
    Suspension
    S and D
    Quote Originally Posted by W8lkinUSA View Post
    I cannot recall if this is a good idea: 10-foot tarp for 11-foot hammock.

I'm considering a custom 10-foot HammockGear Dyneema-Fiber tarp that will allow me to squeeze into tighter situations. My current tarp is the 11-foot Superfly from Warbonnet Outdoors; I have had a couple of extremely close calls while car camping. Unfortunately, Warbonnet does not make 10-foot Superfly tarps.

Seeing as the Blackbird XLC's 11-foot hammock has a 9.33-foot structural ridgeline (SRL), I would have 4'' of tarp overhang on each end of the hammock. The hammock's gathered-end probably accounts for 2-3 inches on each end; I currently use webbing for my suspension.

It's a tight fit, but will this concept have negative effects?
    W8lkinUSA, tight squeeze might get ends of hammock wet during rains. Four inches of tarp overhang is very close margin of error. If off only two inches on your hammock-tarp centering (a common happening), then you would have two inches on one side and six inches on other side.
    Maybe try this rig in backyard rainy night—with a borrowed 10 foot tarp—before $$$???
    Phantom—dry scairdycat

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    An 11 ft. hammock needs an 11 ft. tarp.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Down!
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    This is probably one of those just because you can doesn't mean you should moments. I'd imagine buying a 10 foot DFC tarp and realizing it's too small would not only be unfortunate, but downright upsetting financially.

Hammock
    ridgerunner
    Tarp
    superfly
    Suspension
    buckles
    Thanks for the swift response. If I decide on a 10-foot hammock with bugnet, then I'll also get a 10-foot tarp. I'll need to get a Warbonnet Yeti for my XLC first; this is very low on my priority list.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Grappler View Post
    W8lkinUSA, tight squeeze might get ends of hammock wet during rains. Four inches of tarp overhang is very close margin of error. If off only two inches on your hammock-tarp centering (a common happening), then you would have two inches on one side and six inches on other side.
    Maybe try this rig in backyard rainy night—with a borrowed 10 foot tarp—before $$$???
    Phantom—dry scairdycat
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    An 11 ft. hammock needs an 11 ft. tarp.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dlrocm View Post
    This is probably one of those just because you can doesn't mean you should moments. I'd imagine buying a 10 foot DFC tarp and realizing it's too small would not only be unfortunate, but downright upsetting financially.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Arrowhead
    Don't sell your hammock short, a short tarp will lead to rain getting into your hammock which could be a huge issue on a cold night. The more coverage your tarp provides the more likely you'll sleep dry. 11 ft hammock needs an 11ft tarp or more.

Hammock
    ridgerunner
    Tarp
    superfly
    Suspension
    buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by geronimo View Post
    Don't sell your hammock short, a short tarp will lead to rain getting into your hammock which could be a huge issue on a cold night. The more coverage your tarp provides the more likely you'll sleep dry. 11 ft hammock needs an 11ft tarp or more.
    Thanks. I've been wanting to see if a 10' hammock would be sufficient for me. I haven't setup my Tensa4 on the balcony to better test my WB traveler. With this cold weather, I've only taken my XLC and its Wooki for trips.

Even with my Tensa4 for car camping trips, I'd rather use it only as a last resort. One of these days, the Tensa4 will be set up and the Wooki XL will be customized for balcony hangs.

With my injury, I started with the Ridgerunner. I've been working backwards towards a 10' hammock to understand what real comfort feels like.

I've been terribly lucky with having tree distances just enough to meet my needs. I suppose I should seek a better air pad for my backup tent rather than fearing the day where only a 10' distance is available for hanging.

Hammock
    RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    ??
    Insulation
    ??
    Suspension
    ??
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...=1#post1708317

I don't know how to share this or copy the picture. What a great site to compare the size / shape of different tarps.

• + New Posts