Tarp
    WB MiniFly/SLD WH
    Insulation
    Jacks 'R' Better
    Suspension
    MyersTech/Dyneema
    Images

Greylock 3 vs. Greylock 4 (cinch chord)

I just spent my first night in the Greylock 4 (29°) and I noticed one difference between its little brother the Greylock 3. The cinch chord is different on the Greylock 4. It is integreted into the suspension. I am trying to understand why it is constructed differently. The Greylock 4 doesn't seem to move freely on the suspension like the Greylock 3 does.No difference is mentioned in the product description. I am assuming this is intentional but i don't understand why there is a change between models.

Greylock 3

The Greylock 3 under quilt comes equipped with full length, channeled shock cord suspension that allows the user to make minor adjustments to their under quilt position. For those desiring to use the traditional JRB corner under quilt suspension the Greylock also comes equipped with corner mounting tabs
    If you notice (on the Greylock3) the cinch chord and chord lock are independent of the suspension.

Greylock 4

The Greylock 4 under quilt comes equipped with full length, channeled shock cord suspension that allows the user to make minor adjustments to their under quilt position. For those desiring to use the traditional JRB corner under quilt suspension the Greylock also comes equipped with corner mounting tabs.
    On the Greylock 4 the cinch chord and chord lock are integrated on the suspension line and there is an additional piece of grossgain that is threaded through the chord lock and sewn to the UQ. I do not know if this allows for a tighter installation. I always use the triangle thingies (attached to the corner mounting tabs) to keep the UQ from moving. I may not need them now. The UQ doesnt seem to move.

here it is ..Greylock 4 deployed.

Here is the Greylock 3 +1oz. (a little over a year ago) when I first started.

"...in Florida, she felt air conditioning for the first time, and it was cold and unnatural upon her skin."

Hammock
    XLC/SLD 11' Tree Runner/BB
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/SLD WH
    Insulation
    Jacks 'R' Better
    Suspension
    MyersTech/Dyneema
    Images
    Response from JRB:

Last year Jack made a few prototypes for me to test the validity of vertical baffles on an under quilt. One of those was a Greylock 3 that ran the suspension and the draw cords through the same cord locks and the cord locks were attached to the body of the quilt via a small piece of grosgrain. This change eliminates the need for the prusik mod. After a year’s worth of testing we decided to not switch to vertical baffles but really like the cord lock mod. We integrated into the GL3 and GL4 at the end of September and have received really good feedback from new users.
    This is was my reaction before I emailed Jacks

I may not need them now. The UQ doesnt seem to move.
    So it is an effort to eliminate the need for a prusik mod (see Shug's videos on YouTube) or some other form of secondary suspension attached to the corner mounting tabs.
    "...in Florida, she felt air conditioning for the first time, and it was cold and unnatural upon her skin."

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanhalo View Post
    Response from JRB:

This is was my reaction before I emailed Jacks

So it is an effort to eliminate the need for a prusik mod (see Shug's videos on YouTube) or some other form of secondary suspension attached to the corner mounting tabs.
    Very interesting! I can't quite picture how it would work. On my MW3 convertible model, there is no channel suspension, only the "the traditional JRB corner under quilt suspension " like I had on my full length MW4. When I use it in short mode, or long, I have never found a need for a secondary suspension, there is no "accordion effect" unlike with my old Climashield Yeti, which I added a helpful secondary(Prussick) suspension to.

Or, as I look at the GL4 pic some more, maybe I can see how it works. I think. How do you like it? You say it does not move. Is that the same as no accordion effect?

• + New Posts