Questions from a beginner - different gathered end hammocks

Hi everyone. I am just getting in to DIY outdoor gear and I am these days waiting for my first delivery of nylon, silnylon, cordura and all kinds of materials for my ideas.

One of my first projects will be stuff sacks and a gathered end hammock. I have been practicing the sewing machine for a while, making different easy projects for my wife for example. Christmas-stuff where I can freely practice my seams and the general understanding of how all of this works.

I have of course also been spending alot of hours online, trying to figure out just how to make my own perfect hammock. And that brings me to my first question:
    I have seen there are a couple of different ways to tie off the hammock ends. And I was just wondering if one the ways was much weaker than the other, and pros and cons with both ways. I will try to explain.

Method 1 that I am planning to follow is the one posted on youtube by ripstopbytheroll, where a cord or a nylon web goes throug the sewn in channel:
    Ex1.jpg

Method 2 that I see many people use is where they have a cord through the channel, but then tie it off on the hammock material, like this:
    This picture is captioned from Ron Mehringer on youtube. Hope its OK that i borrow it.
    Ex 2.jpg

I guess method 2 is probably the strongest and most durable? But - is method 1 really any bad at all? I like the looks of method 1 alot more, thats why I want to use it..

Anyways, thanks guys. Hope you can make me a bit smarter in this regards :) And sorry for the bad language ;)

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Thunderfly
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20*
    Suspension
    June Bugs
    I prefer the sewn channels like method 1. Basically I think its more aesthetically pleasing, and easier to switch out suspensions and ridgelines if needed. Most of the popular hammock vendors also use the sewn channel method. That should tell you something about its usefulness.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    9' Noah
    Insulation
    Primaloft Gold
    Suspension
    Webbing N Cinchbuc
    Images
    I always sew the end channel so that I can use method 1. Mostly because I want the option, but I end up always tieing a small rope though the channel and making it into a ball like method 2. That allows me to change the suspension when I need to. For example, whoppie slings for trees and continuous loops for the hammock stand. Plus, I just trust it more, and feel it will last longer.

Edit: switching suspensions in method 1 requires feeding the whole thing through the entire channel. Switching suspensions in method 2 is a larkshead around the neck of the ball. MUCH EASIER.
    The essential part of me can not be discussed here. Ask me in person.

Thanks guys, Yeah, I just checked my other hammock, and it has the channel like method 1, too. So thats what I'll be doing. Thanks again. Will post the build when I get the materials.

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon, DIY
    Tarp
    Dutchware Hex, DIY
    Insulation
    HG, DIY
    Suspension
    Straps, Beetles
    Images
    I like the sewn channel method, and instead of a cord or webbing through it, insert a continuous loop and girth hitch.

Images
    The ball-end method has the advantage that you can tie stuff on it. Think of it as a trailer hitch... for hammocks.

Like sunsetkayaker mentioned, you can literally switch the entire suspension out by just lark'ing a loop onto the ball. It also makes a good tie-off point for underquilts. You can hang things off of it. It gives you more options in case everything else goes wrong.

Insulation
    Costco Quilts
    I like a sewn channel and a continuous loop lark headed through it. This allows me to change out the suspension (stand to indoor to outdoor with trees) and the continuous loop allows me to connect my underquilt, hang my pack, etc.

• + New Posts