Tarp
    HG Quest II
    Insulation
    HG Eco Incubator
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles

Hey Hey from Georgia!

Hi there!

I'm Ty, a Georgia resident but originally from the San Francisco Bay area, and am brand new to hammock camping! My gf and I love the outdoors (though some health issues keep us from being able to do longer hikes/backpacking together) and can't wait to give it a try. I'm super excited to get to know you folks and learning all the tips and tricks you guys have.

I don't actually have any gear yet (college student budget means waiting for Christmas money ), though we're thinking of both getting Chameleons so that we can use the double dutch net. Any recommendations for gear and places to hang for a night or two around North/Central Georgia (that doesn't involve too much of a strenuous hike from the car) are totally welcome!

Hi Ty and welcome from another Georgia guy, located somewhat south and east of you.

For ideas of where to go, search the Trip Reports forum and look under Southeast. You should find some, though it will take patience to wade through the reports.

Dutch is having a sale right now as are other vendors. Sign up for their newsletters and you'll be the first to know. I think I got notifications from HammockGear and Dutchware just today and AHE last week. Don't forget that there are other less expensive options like Dutch's netless hammocks as well, if you're looking on his site.

Cheers.

edited to add: Also check out the For Sale forum. You can sometimes score really good gear at a savings there. I've done it several times. It does require that you know what you want, but you can post questions to the seller.
    Last edited by sidneyhornblower; 11-19-2018 at 14:58. Reason: added info
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Senior Member StrungUpNewfoundlander's Avatar
    Hammock
    LSOH Warrior XL
    Tarp
    LSOH FireFly
    Insulation
    LSOH Toaster
    Suspension
    Whoopie Dutch Bits
    Images
    Welcome aboard!
    Best Kind

North Georgia abounds in hanging spots within a couple of hours of most of Atlanta. Tim Homan's Hiking Trails of North Georgia or the Georgia Conservancy Guide to north Georgia have numerous trails with camping areas nearby. Winfield Scott, Dockery Lake and Cooper Creek are campgrounds closed for the winter with camping available with no water. Highway 60 north of Dahlonega has other campgrounds open as well. Camping is generally allowed in the forest in areas not designated no camping but be aware of hunting season. Raven Cliffs Falls is one area with a parking lot, vault restroom and bear proof trash can. It is located on Richard Russell.
    All state parks are open with more facilities if this is more appealing. You will want good insulation unless we get a warm spell. Temps here in the south are in the 40s at night.
    Welcome to the forum

Hammock
    WBBB XLC, Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20, KAQ 1, Lynx
    Suspension
    Webbing / buckles
    Images
    Welcome to the forums and our addiction. As BB said North Ga is covered up with trails to enjoy. If you are looking for something a little less strenuous with easy access check out Pine Mountain Trail. Has enough elevation changes to enjoy the hike and loads of easily accessible campsites. Info available at pinemountaintrail.org.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch Hex, DIY
    Insulation
    LLG Saver TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Beetles
    Welcome from South Jersey and Happy Thanksgiving.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Quest II
    Insulation
    HG Eco Incubator
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Figured I'd post here instead of cluttering the forum (since I don't have any pics yet) but I bought a setup! Used Christmas money for a Chameleon, some accessories, and some bling from Dutch, and then a Quest II and a 30 degree Economy Incubator from Hammock Gear. Super excited to get everything together and get out in the yard to try it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Bitfrost View Post
    Figured I'd post here instead of cluttering the forum (since I don't have any pics yet) but I bought a setup! Used Christmas money for a Chameleon, some accessories, and some bling from Dutch, and then a Quest II and a 30 degree Economy Incubator from Hammock Gear. Super excited to get everything together and get out in the yard to try it out!
    Holy Cow, nothing like jumping in feet first. Congrats on the gear purchases.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    HG Quest II
    Insulation
    HG Eco Incubator
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Something like that! I actually have a cheapy $20 hammock (I believe it's the same one Shug reviewed in his cheap gear video) and spent a few night in it this year, but I figured I might as well get what I know I'd want before I blow the Christmas money on something else.

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitfrost View Post
    Welcome,Bitfrost! I'm impressed with your choices.You obviously did your homework and bought the right stuff first.(unlike me)Have you bought a pack yet?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast