Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    12' HG DCF tarp w/
    Insulation
    Ridge Creek xl
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch

New Hammock Hanging Scouts

Howdy, I've been asked by a couple of my sons, friends, parents...to help with gear selection for their Boy Scouts, who want hammocks for Christmas.

In both cases, it sounds like they want to switch to hammock camping fulltime but, given the expense, they will be buying their setups a little at a time.

I figured to start, they need a hammock, tarp and a bug net in the spring. They can get by with sleeping pads and sleeping bags for the time being. Concerning tarps, I figure I'll find something. I got a few from UGQ off Mass Drop a few years ago.

I hate to start them with something they will end up replacing soon, like an ENO hammock. I was thinking of a WB Traveler or a Dutch Netless but, that means that they will need a fronkey style bug net at some point. While affordable, I don't like using mine with an UQ.

Does anyone thoughts or, suggestions? They would be greatly appreciated.

Jeremiah

Hennesy? I have a couple that I used for a few years - bug net, rainfly all included: https://hennessyhammock.com/collections/hammocks

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    12' HG DCF tarp w/
    Insulation
    Ridge Creek xl
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Quote Originally Posted by meierjo View Post
    Hennesy? I have a couple that I used for a few years - bug net, rainfly all included: https://hennessyhammock.com/collections/hammocks
    Hadn't thought of Hennessy buy, they certainly seem to have some great options. Thank you.

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Scout Zip seems like a good intro package...

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Hard to beat the affordability of the Dutch netless ($30). I'm a huge fan of the Fronkey bugnet as well. HammockGear has similar netless hammocks at the same price point.

I personally wouldn't recommend Hennessy Hammocks. My first hammock was a Hennessy Expedition Asym Zip, and I used it for two years. Hands down, the most uncomfortable hammock I've ever used. I definitely wouldn't try the Scout Zip - the kids will grow out of it so quickly.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    I work with scouts and scout parents and having everything in one package is a definite help. Being able to send a parent to one site with one payment to make (and one shipping fee) would greatly help vs seperate hammock, suspension, tarp, bugnet. The choices would be mind-boggling for a non-hammocking parent. Of course, if someone did all the research and created that package by pre-selecting all the components, and managed to get the price down to the right point, then that would also help solve the problem.

In regards to comfort, Boy Scouts run 10 1/2 upto 17, and I find they could sleep on a rock and be fine to at least 16 years old Seriously, I don't know how they do it! HH, Eno, whatever, they will be fine.

Don't get me wrong, I like good gear. But the scouts won't notice the difference, and they can be rough on gear such that your may have to replace things a few times because of that.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    We have our Beginner Kits included in our Holiday Sale right now at an extra 15% off of the already reduced package prices.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Another Tom here! And a Scouter. Yes, Scouts can be incredibly tough on gear. However, if the gear belongs to the Scout, they tend to be a bit more careful. That's either because they earned the money to pay for it or their parents pay attention.

I don't think Hennessy is a terrible choice for youth. I agree with SilvrSurfr about the Scout model: the way kids grow today, they could easily grow out of it. That Expedition Asym Zip has sold well and it seems a lot of folks find it to be satisfactory, if not wonderful.

All that said, Dutch has an introductory package that makes for one-stop shopping and single shipping fee. Certainly something to look at.

YIS

And while I was typing my post, Paul gave you another option^^^

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    12' HG DCF tarp w/
    Insulation
    Ridge Creek xl
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    I'm liking the Dutchware Chameleon package with one of their hex tarps. The price point isn't too bad for the two. Anyway, thanks for the help, I've sent 3 options to the parents and will wait to see if they need more help. YIS

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Gillam View Post
    I'm liking the Dutchware Chameleon package with one of their hex tarps. The price point isn't too bad for the two. Anyway, thanks for the help, I've sent 3 options to the parents and will wait to see if they need more help. YIS
    If you're thinking Dutchware, I think his intro package is a better idea for Scouts...

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast