Tarp
    WB MiniFly/SLD WH
    Insulation
    Jacks 'R' Better
    Suspension
    MyersTech/Dyneema
    Images

Greylock 4 or Mount Washington 4?

Anyone regret buying one over the other?

I already have a Greylock 3 (use it all the time) but I do not have a full length UQ.

I need an another 20° UQ for my son.
    "...in Florida, she felt air conditioning for the first time, and it was cold and unnatural upon her skin."

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanhalo View Post
    Anyone regret buying one over the other?

I already have a Greylock 3 (use it all the time) but I do not have a full length UQ.

I need an another 20° UQ for my son.
    Well, are you happy with the GL3? I have one(a convertible model MW3 actually) and it works great in short mode for my GE or bridge hammocks, and I love it full length OR short mode for my JRB bridge hammocks. I have not used it much full length with my GEs for some reason. Although I did use an MW4 on a WBBB one time, at 18F. Once I finally got it set up right, I was toasty all night despite a huge wind chill with not the best tarp coverage.

I guess it is just pros and cons every one must work out for themselves. Less weight, bulk and expense with the GL3, but must use a foot pad. It is certainly doable, but it is more convenient to use a full length, not counting the inconvenience of carrying the extra weight/bulk. ( I am probably going to have a sit pad with me anyway, or pads from my pack ).

Also, here is something I have never heard from any one else, so just my personal opinion: I think there is less to go wrong with a short UQ on a GE hammock, than there is with a full length. It is easier for me to get the fit adjusted just right. And less issue with gaps developing as I get on a foot right diagonal and the leg portion of the quilt wants to gap away to the left. I usually get er done, but seems more consistent, easier and quicker with the short UQ, at least on GE hammocks.

OTOH, it is more convenient when you turn over at 3 AM if you don't have to be concerned about what position your pad might end up in, or if position fixed in a pad pocket, where your feet/legs/knee might end up relative to that pad . So which sounds better to you?

Hammock
    XLC/SLD 11' Tree Runner/BB
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/SLD WH
    Insulation
    Jacks 'R' Better
    Suspension
    MyersTech/Dyneema
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Well, are you happy with the GL3?

Also, here is something I have never heard from any one else, so just my personal opinion: I think there is less to go wrong with a short UQ on a GE hammock, than there is with a full length. It is easier for me to get the fit adjusted just right. And less issue with gaps developing as I get on a foot right diagonal and the leg portion of the quilt wants to gap away to the left. I usually get er done, but seems more consistent, easier and quicker with the short UQ, at least on GE hammocks.

OTOH, it is more convenient when you turn over at 3 AM if you don't have to be concerned about what position your pad might end up in, or if position fixed in a pad pocket, where your feet/legs/knee might end up relative to that pad . So which sounds better to you?
    Yes I am very happy with the GL3. It has a wide range. if I had to guess I would say I have 160-180 nights on it.

What appealed to me about a full length UQ was getting rid of the pad in the foot box and less fiddle factor but you are telling me that the MW4 will have more fiddle.
    I wasn't expecting that.
    Last edited by Vanhalo; 11-18-2018 at 17:11.
    "...in Florida, she felt air conditioning for the first time, and it was cold and unnatural upon her skin."

Hammock
    Towns-End
    Tarp
    WB, Towns-End, UGQ
    Insulation
    LSOH, JRB, UGQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Images
    I have a MW4 and it gets quite a bit of use. I really like it. I'm actually in the market for either a GL3 or GL4. Would want an extra ounce or two in the GL3, so could buy the GL4 just as cheap.
    Hammock Tourist / Hammock Fiend / Hammock Therapist

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/SLD WH
    Insulation
    Jacks 'R' Better
    Suspension
    MyersTech/Dyneema
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peppy View Post
    I have a MW4 and it gets quite a bit of use. I really like it. I'm actually in the market for either a GL3 or GL4. Would want an extra ounce or two in the GL3, so could buy the GL4 just as cheap.
    Yep.

Do you use the MW4 with a GE or a BH?

Images
    Yes I am very happy with the GL3. It has a wide range. if I had to guess I would say I have 160-180 nights on it.

What appealed to me about a full length UQ was getting rid of the pad in the foot box and less fiddle factor but you are telling me that the MW4 will have more fiddle.
    I wasn't expecting that.
    Well, it depends! And it is just my personal experience, YMMV. It is less hassle to just put your feet wherever than to deal with a foot pad. If you have everything adjusted exactly correct. (see current thread about complaints re drafts at the foot end of an UQ, which I think is about full length)

Now I have ZERO hassle using my full length JRB MWs on my JRB bridge hammocks, it is all perfect, no real worries with adjustments. Never a worry about where your feet end up, it is going to be warm. Same thing with an AHE Ridge Creek on a WB bridge, no problems, always a perfect fit.

But when I have used full length UQs on GEs, it is definitely more hassle for me to get things adjusted just right. For example, I have had to really work to get the foot end adjusted with no gaps once O get in, while at the same time not getting it too tight. I'm not saying I don't get it done, but it can sometimes be a problem. Way more often than on a bridge or with a short UQ on a gathered. Plus, I do run into the let side foot end trying to gap away sometimes. That might not actually make me cold, but it for sure reduces maximum warmth.

Here is what would make an interesting study: there have been a ton of threads her over the years with folks struggling with their UQs. Including one that is going right now. I'm thinking- guessing- that 90-95% of those threads were with full length UQs on GE hammocks, and only a small minority were with torso length on GE or bridge(or full length on a bridge). (also, about zero threads of trouble being warm enough with a Pea Pod! ) But who knows, that is just my impression, and I might be way off on that. But here is the newest example of what I mean:
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...x-camping-solo

But assuming you can indeed get everything adjusted just right- and you probably can sooner or later- a full length will for sure be more convenient.

Let me add this about my impression that full length quilts have a tendency to gap away on the left leg side when in diagonal feet right(or vice versa) When WB came out with their first UQ, it was the torso sized Yeti. I remember asking WBG(Brandon) why he did that(I think his was the first short UQ around here, back around 07) He told me that 1: he always had at least a sit pad with him any way and using that with a short UQ was just the lighter, less bulky way to go and 2: his full length UQs had a tendency to gap away on one side of the legs once he went diagonal, which might lead to some problems that he had to solve with a pad anyway. So why not skip all of that problem, save the weight/bulk, and use the pad he already had with him anyway? So, you see, it is not just me.

Still, there are plenty of folks happy with full length, and I have managed to use them myself even on GEs and stay warm enough, though I sometimes have to come up with some tricks for the foot end. But I just think it is easier with short UQs, unless on a bridge, where either is fine as long as the UQ is not too long for the bridge. There are just fewer places for gaps to develop with a short UQ, seems to me. The down side is you have to deal with a leg pad. Just personal opinion based on my experience. YMMV.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 11-18-2018 at 18:13.

Hammock
    Towns-End
    Tarp
    WB, Towns-End, UGQ
    Insulation
    LSOH, JRB, UGQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Images
    Yep.

Do you use the MW4 with a GE or a BH?
    Both. It sees more action on my Towns-End Bridges, but I do use it on both.

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/SLD WH
    Insulation
    Jacks 'R' Better
    Suspension
    MyersTech/Dyneema
    Images
    Well, it depends! And it is just my personal experience, YMMV. It is less hassle to just put your feet wherever than to deal with a foot pad. If you have everything adjusted exactly correct. (see current thread about complaints re drafts at the foot end of an UQ, which I think is about full length)

Now I have ZERO hassle using my full length JRB MWs on my JRB bridge hammocks, it is all perfect, no real worries with adjustments. Never a worry about where your feet end up, it is going to be warm. Same thing with an AHE Ridge Creek on a WB bridge, no problems, always a perfect fit.

But when I have used full length UQs on GEs, it is definitely more hassle for me to get things adjusted just right. For example, I have had to really work to get the foot end adjusted with no gaps once O get in, while at the same time not getting it too tight. I'm not saying I don't get it done, but it can sometimes be a problem. Way more often than on a bridge or with a short UQ on a gathered. Plus, I do run into the let side foot end trying to gap away sometimes. That might not actually make me cold, but it for sure reduces maximum warmth.

Here is what would make an interesting study: there have been a ton of threads her over the years with folks struggling with their UQs. Including one that is going right now. I'm thinking- guessing- that 90-95% of those threads were with full length UQs on GE hammocks, and only a small minority were with torso length on GE or bridge(or full length on a bridge). (also, about zero threads of trouble being warm enough with a Pea Pod! ) But who knows, that is just my impression, and I might be way off on that. But here is the newest example of what I mean:

But assuming you can indeed get everything adjusted just right- and you probably can sooner or later- a full length will for sure be more convenient.

Let me add this about my impression that full length quilts have a tendency to gap away on the left leg side when in diagonal feet right(or vice versa) When WB came out with their first UQ, it was the torso sized Yeti. I remember asking WBG(Brandon) why he did that(I think his was the first short UQ around here, back around 07) He told me that 1: he always had at least a sit pad with him any way and using that with a short UQ was just the lighter, less bulky way to go and 2: his full length UQs had a tendency to gap away on one side of the legs once he went diagonal, which might lead to some problems that he had to solve with a pad anyway. So why not skip all of that problem, save the weight/bulk, and use the pad he already had with him anyway? So, you see, it is not just me.

Still, there are plenty of folks happy with full length, and I have managed to use them myself even on GEs and stay warm enough, though I sometimes have to come up with some tricks for the foot end. But I just think it is easier with short UQs, unless on a bridge, where either is fine as long as the UQ is not too long for the bridge. There are just fewer places for gaps to develop with a short UQ, seems to me. The down side is you have to deal with a leg pad. Just personal opinion based on my experience. YMMV.
    Well I am certainly glad I asked the question now.

I have no issues with the GL3 and I have always wondered what would happen if my feet were always pushing on the side of a full length UQ.

Since I am a subscriber to if it isn't broke don't fix it...you may have convinced me to stick with what I know.

Hammock
    Towns-End
    Tarp
    WB, Towns-End, UGQ
    Insulation
    LSOH, JRB, UGQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Images

Reading all this just makes me want to make a go of a 3/4. Any opinions out there on the GL3 vs GL4? Vanhalo has a lot of data on the GL3+1, but does anyone have experience with a GL4. Specifically, how warm have you used it successfully.

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/SLD WH
    Insulation
    Jacks 'R' Better
    Suspension
    MyersTech/Dyneema
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peppy View Post
    Reading all this just makes me want to make a go of a 3/4. Any opinions out there on the GL3 vs GL4? Vanhalo has a lot of data on the GL3+1, but does anyone have experience with a GL4. Specifically, how warm have you used it successfully.

At least one reviewer said they had it down to -38°. They do not mention what they were wearing.

I know Shug layers a lot of clothing when he is in it.

I don't do that with the GL3+1. I normally wear a single thermal layer and sometimes short sleeves.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast