LSOH, JRB, UGQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Images
    Cool. I’ll be looking for your results!
    Hammock Tourist / Hammock Fiend / Hammock Therapist

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peppy View Post
    i had my first ever UQ issue this week. Got some mileage in with my grandson and spend ample time making sure he was good to go. It was suppose to be in the upper 20's, but very humid, and wanted him to be bulletproof. Good news is, he was. I threw my MW4 on cinched it up as usual and climbed in. Immediately noticed a cold spot under my right thigh, and no matter how I adjusted, I couldn't get it to go away. I was able to sleep, but constantly adjusted the quilt. This thread kept coming to mind, and I couldn't help but wonder if I would have had the same issue in a 3/4.
    Interesting. Goodness knows a lot of people have a lot of issues with UQs over the years, and I stated my suspicion earlier that 90+% of these issues are with full length, or nearly full length, UQs. Can't prove it, just a feeling. There is a lot of perfect adjustments required.

Were you on a diagonal with feet left, or right?

Images
    I usually have an easy time of getting perfect fit on the leg end like this with a shorty, and it doesn't changed much when I go diagonal, since most of my legs are beyond the reach of the UQ. Often not so easy with a full length, especially when I try to turn diagonal and putting different tensions on the side of the hammock and quilt that my feet are snug against.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanhalo View Post
    I have never had cold spots on my thigh in the Greylocks.

NOTE: I have always used a secondary suspension.

Over 180 nights in the GL3.
    I bet that makes you the HF expert on GLs! That is a lot of experience. And all without cold spots anywhere, at least using a secondary?

Hammock
    Towns-End
    Tarp
    WB, Towns-End, UGQ
    Insulation
    LSOH, JRB, UGQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Interesting. Goodness knows a lot of people have a lot of issues with UQs over the years, and I stated my suspicion earlier that 90+% of these issues are with full length, or nearly full length, UQs. Can't prove it, just a feeling. There is a lot of perfect adjustments required.

Were you on a diagonal with feet left, or right?
    I was laying head right, feet left. I adjusted it several times before I finally gave up. I did sleep, but had to keep moving around in order to not let a certain part get too cold.

Hammock
    Towns-End
    Tarp
    WB, Towns-End, UGQ
    Insulation
    LSOH, JRB, UGQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Images
    I intend to order a GL in the next couple of days. Not sure which yet. Most of my hanging will be mid 20's and up, but the price of the GL4 has me leaning that direction.

Images
    I was laying head right, feet left. I adjusted it several times before I finally gave up. I did sleep, but had to keep moving around in order to not let a certain part get too cold.
    Yep, that sounds like the very problem we had been discussing. Whatever side the feet are on with a diagonal lay, the fulllength quilts are prone to fall away on the other side. You place your feet left, you get cold on your right leg. It is though you set out to demonstrate the theory. There may be some way to compensate for this, in fact I have rigged up a few myself over the years. All of mine have involved some extra shock cord to pull the affected side bck up tighter against the hammock on the fall away side.

My old Pea Pod fell away on one side. It never caused any noticeable problems, just as a small gap under my back that would have usually froze me, would usually not be noticeable. I always theorized because everything was sealed inside draft free, so those gaps were not filled as readily with cold air. My HHSS falls away on the left side. I have a new UQ which does so, but I think a bit of added shock cord has solved that issue.
    I intend to order a GL in the next couple of days. Not sure which yet. Most of my hanging will be mid 20's and up, but the price of the GL4 has me leaning that direction.
    Well, if 20s and up, I bet the 3 will more than get er done. But the 4 costs and weighs so little extra, that is a huge hunk of extra insurance, and who knows if you might be out at 10F one night? So either way will work.

Images
    I forgot to say: that is when a torso sized piece of CCF sit pad would have come in mighty handy. Just place it under that right thigh, with enough width sticking out to the side to keep the hammock's sides from compressing the loft. Done, and instant warmth.

Hammock
    Towns-End
    Tarp
    WB, Towns-End, UGQ
    Insulation
    LSOH, JRB, UGQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    It is though you set out to demonstrate the theory. ... But the 4 costs and weighs so little extra, that is a huge hunk of extra insurance, and who knows if you might be out at 10F one night? So either way will work.
    I had no intention of becoming a demonstration. But I couldn't help but think of this thread as I lay there.

Right now it's $15 difference and 5oz. I'd add an ounce to the GL3, so really it would be $5 and 4oz difference.

I think I just made up my mind.

Images
    I had no intention of becoming a demonstration. But I couldn't help but think of this thread as I lay there.
    Oh, I know you didn't, I was just trying to get a chuckle. But I can understand how you would think of this thread. I am trying to remember if I have ever heard any one else here- beside me on rare occasions- mention this tendency of full length quilts to fall away on one side?

Right now it's $15 difference and 5oz. I'd add an ounce to the GL3, so really it would be $5 and 4oz difference.

I think I just made up my mind.
    I think I know what you decided! One thing about the extra 4 oz and $5 compared to more over fill: guaranteed significantly warmer quilt. I.E. warmer rating by 20*F due to higher loft and baffles.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 11-22-2018 at 15:41.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast