Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanhalo View Post
    Well I am certainly glad I asked the question now.

I have no issues with the GL3 and I have always wondered what would happen if my feet were always pushing on the side of a full length UQ.

Since I am a subscriber to if it isn't broke don't fix it...you may have convinced me to stick with what I know.
    Well, I subscribe to "if it isn't broke don't fix it" as well, but don't just take my word for it. I'm surprised there haven't been several folks already here to tell you how much they prefer a full length over a shorty. There are a fair # of those folks. Plus, it's not like I am against full length(especially on a bridge), it's just that I am aware of certain pros and cons of each. It all comes down to user preference.

Images
    At least one reviewer said they had it down to -38°. They do not mention what they were wearing.

I know Shug layers a lot of clothing when he is in it.

I don't do that with the GL3+1. I normally wear a single thermal layer and sometimes short sleeves.
    That was minus 38 with wind chill, which if the wind was well blocked it might not have been near that bad. Still, probably well below zero unless the winds were way, way up there. Cannibal took the similarly rated WB Yeti to well below zero, maybe like 10 or 20 below, but he was known as a human furnace. If anything, the G4 looks even thicker to me, but they should be close. I had the MW4, which is just the full length version of the G4, but the coldest I was ever able to test it- and on a bridge hammock- was at +10F. I was toasty head to heel all night. I'm sure it would have got me below zero and still be OK.

Incredibly, in the reviews at JRB, Sherri took an MW3 to -15C(or +5F) and said "I’ve used my quilt maybe a dozen times and I’ve never felt more comfortable. Coldest has been minus 15 Celsius and I was toasty warm." Wow, that is amazing for an MW3, no telling how low an MW4 would go.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 11-18-2018 at 21:39.

Hammock
    XLC/SLD 11' Tree Runner/BB
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/SLD WH
    Insulation
    Jacks 'R' Better
    Suspension
    MyersTech/Dyneema
    Images
    I did a little research here and apparently I have visited this subject before with the HR as an UQ.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...=1#post1843341
    "...in Florida, she felt air conditioning for the first time, and it was cold and unnatural upon her skin."

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/SLD WH
    Insulation
    Jacks 'R' Better
    Suspension
    MyersTech/Dyneema
    Images
    I ordered the GL4.

I know how it works. No fiddle factor for me.

You convinced me and my old post convinced myself.
    "...in Florida, she felt air conditioning for the first time, and it was cold and unnatural upon her skin."

Images
    I ordered the GL4.

I know how it works. No fiddle factor for me.

You convinced me and my old post convinced myself.
    Well, looks like someone is going to be warm! Those things are a good bargain right now!

Hammock
    Towns-End
    Tarp
    WB, Towns-End, UGQ
    Insulation
    LSOH, JRB, UGQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Images
    i had my first ever UQ issue this week. Got some mileage in with my grandson and spend ample time making sure he was good to go. It was suppose to be in the upper 20's, but very humid, and wanted him to be bulletproof. Good news is, he was. I threw my MW4 on cinched it up as usual and climbed in. Immediately noticed a cold spot under my right thigh, and no matter how I adjusted, I couldn't get it to go away. I was able to sleep, but constantly adjusted the quilt. This thread kept coming to mind, and I couldn't help but wonder if I would have had the same issue in a 3/4.
    Hammock Tourist / Hammock Fiend / Hammock Therapist

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/SLD WH
    Insulation
    Jacks 'R' Better
    Suspension
    MyersTech/Dyneema
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peppy View Post
    i had my first ever UQ issue this week. Got some mileage in with my grandson and spend ample time making sure he was good to go. It was suppose to be in the upper 20's, but very humid, and wanted him to be bulletproof. Good news is, he was. I threw my MW4 on cinched it up as usual and climbed in. Immediately noticed a cold spot under my right thigh, and no matter how I adjusted, I couldn't get it to go away. I was able to sleep, but constantly adjusted the quilt. This thread kept coming to mind, and I couldn't help but wonder if I would have had the same issue in a 3/4.
    That is what scared me off on the MW4.

I slept in the GL4 last night and it dropped right into place where the Greylock 3+1 usually lives and I could definately notice the warmth difference @ 29°

It wasn't drastic (a bit more than subtle) but I was definitely warmer. Sit pad in the footbox of my TQ and no UQP.

My only question now is...do I need to secondary suspension?....they cinch chord is different on the GL4.

It doesn't appear to move.

I am headed to the mountain with my son tonight so we will see how it goes.

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/SLD WH
    Insulation
    Jacks 'R' Better
    Suspension
    MyersTech/Dyneema
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peppy View Post
    I have never had cold spots on my thigh in the Greylocks.

NOTE: I have always used a secondary suspension.

Over 180 nights in the GL3.
    Last edited by Vanhalo; 11-21-2018 at 09:58.

Hammock
    Towns-End
    Tarp
    WB, Towns-End, UGQ
    Insulation
    LSOH, JRB, UGQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Images
    I noticed for other thread on the GL4. I'm wanting to try one, but am wondering about it because of what you've pointed out and asked.
    Hammock Tourist / Hammock Fiend / Hammock Therapist

Hammock
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/SLD WH
    Insulation
    Jacks 'R' Better
    Suspension
    MyersTech/Dyneema
    Images
    I sent Don an email and his response was what I had hoped for. He is trying to eliminate the need for a secondary suspension mod out of the box.

Last year Jack made a few prototypes for me to test the validity of vertical baffles on an under quilt. One of those was a Greylock 3 that ran the suspension and the draw cords through the same cord locks and the cord locks were attached to the body of the quilt via a small piece of grosgrain. This change eliminates the need for the prusik mod. After a year’s worth of testing we decided to not switch to vertical baffles but really like the cord lock mod. We integrated into the GL3 and GL4 at the end of September and have received really good feedback from new users.
    I am going to leave off the secondary suspension tonight and see how it fairs.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast