DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images

Half bug new secured with Kam snaps? Anyone try it?

I recently made a Half Wit clone in Robic 1.2 after going nearly two full seasons without deploying the bug net on my DIY Hyper D 1.6 hammock with full zippered & removable bug net. I thought the Half Wit would a good compromise between the risky choice of no net and the pain of carrying a full bug net and not using it. And now I find myself not using the net on the Half Wit clone either.

I am now thinking of a fully removable half bug net. I've looked at Derek Hansen's HUG (available from AHE) and that might do what I am looking for, but the DiY'r in me want's to tackle the problem on my own.

I can replicate the half wit style half net using my first DIY hammock, and installing a removable zipper on the half net.. that would make for a modular system that allows full, half or no net. But the card-carrying gram weenie in me is struggling with the weight of the remaining unused zipper on the hammock.

Since the sides at head end of the hammock are almost always under tension, I am pondering whether a series of Kam snaps along the hammock side seam, for joining the hammock to the half bug net would be a viable option or whether the hammock would pucker up between the snaps and open enough to let bugs in. To combat this, the snaps on the noseeum side could be positioned inboard of the noseeum's side hem leaving a section of noseeum fabric hanging like a skirt inside or outside the hammock.. just enough to close of any openings.

The weight of five or size pairs of snaps along the hammock/noseeum would surely weigh less than two zipper tapes & pulls and could double as spots to attach accessories when the bug net isn't installed..

Any thoughts would be appreciated..
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Images
    What you need is a Waffle Clasp, mister!

The basic idea is to put snaps at regular intervals on every other side of the hammock fabric. Even if the snaps are 10” apart, waffle clasping magically seals the gaps. The example I linked to is for underquilt suspensions, so just ignore the part about installing the cord. All you need to do is attach the netting to the hammock just like you were imagining, but make sure each set of snaps reverses sides. I used this strategy to plug seam gaps on my Gemini top quilt.

Kam snaps leave gaps, so your bug neg is no longet guaranteed to keep the bugs out.

I doubt you get 100g difference and the zipper will avoid any potential snagging on the no-see-um

Sent from my SM-G390F using Tapatalk
    If you don't live life to the limit, how will you know when you overcome your own?

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    hmmm... Waffles...that's interesting..
    No reason I couldn't do that.

As far as the weight.. I have all the other components already and they are indeed heavier than a few kam snaps. Zipper tapes, zipper pulls etc.
    Plus I've used 0.67 noseeum in the past and on the half wit clone, chose 0.50 nano noseeum.. measurably lighter when the yards start to add up.
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0
    Tarp
    DIY Xenon Sil,
    Insulation
    3s Yeti
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    I just finished up a full-length, Fronkey style (It is not as wide and seals nicely on the underquilt) from the .50 mesh from RSBTR. My hammock has a 99 inch ridgeline. My bug net weighs less than 3 ounces. I used just under 3 yards of material with no ridgeline seam, since the .50 mesh is 62 inches wide. The ends that go around the continuous loops are closed with Kam snaps, and the bottom is closed with 3/32 shock cord, although I think that I could have used 1/16 shock cord, but I didn't have any. Since I ordered 4 yards, I had enough to make a half bug net also. I made it mostly like the HUG bug net, but used mini binder clips to fold over the open ends and a short way up the bottom and is seals well. I used binder clips, because the material is pretty light and Kam snaps would probably rip it. I considered reinforcing with grograin ribbon, but this would have made it heavier than using the mini binder clips. I did not want to use velcro or omnitape since they don't play well with mesh.

Hammock
    DIY bridge or BB Clone
    Tarp
    DIY Polysil gen 2
    Insulation
    CS UQ/ 20* bag TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Check out Grizz’s post on “Tricking out the Ariel “. Uses magnets to attach the bug net to the edge of a bridge hammock. It might work on a gathered end. It worked for me on a bridge

Hammock
    DIY bridge or BB Clone
    Tarp
    DIY Polysil gen 2
    Insulation
    CS UQ/ 20* bag TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing
    6 1/2 minutes into the video

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Country Roads View Post
    I just finished up a full-length, Fronkey style (It is not as wide and seals nicely on the underquilt) from the .50 mesh from RSBTR. My hammock has a 99 inch ridgeline. My bug net weighs less than 3 ounces. I used just under 3 yards of material with no ridgeline seam, since the .50 mesh is 62 inches wide. The ends that go around the continuous loops are closed with Kam snaps, and the bottom is closed with 3/32 shock cord, although I think that I could have used 1/16 shock cord, but I didn't have any. Since I ordered 4 yards, I had enough to make a half bug net also. I made it mostly like the HUG bug net, but used mini binder clips to fold over the open ends and a short way up the bottom and is seals well. I used binder clips, because the material is pretty light and Kam snaps would probably rip it. I considered reinforcing with grograin ribbon, but this would have made it heavier than using the mini binder clips. I did not want to use velcro or omnitape since they don't play well with mesh.
    I've been fortunate with the 0.5 noseeum and haven't had any rips. Sure is light weight and it does blow in the slightest breeze. Can't see myself carrying the binder clips. The Fronkey bug net isn't for me...
    Quote Originally Posted by Overland View Post
    Check out Grizz’s post on “Tricking out the Ariel “. Uses magnets to attach the bug net to the edge of a bridge hammock. It might work on a gathered end. It worked for me on a bridge
    I'll check it out. In the past I've thought of small magnets for various projects but weight adds up with just a few of them..

As I ponder this project, I keep coming back to putting the zippered half bug net on my Hyper D hammock.
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    Green diy Bridge
    Tarp
    Marpatcat
    Insulation
    See sig below
    Suspension
    Grape Vines
    Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    I recently made a Half Wit clone in Robic 1.2 after going nearly two full seasons without deploying the bug net on my DIY Hyper D 1.6 hammock with full zippered & removable bug net. I thought the Half Wit would a good compromise between the risky choice of no net and the pain of carrying a full bug net and not using it. And now I find myself not using the net on the Half Wit clone either.

I am now thinking of a fully removable half bug net. I've looked at Derek Hansen's HUG (available from AHE) and that might do what I am looking for, but the DiY'r in me want's to tackle the problem on my own.

I can replicate the half wit style half net using my first DIY hammock, and installing a removable zipper on the half net.. that would make for a modular system that allows full, half or no net. But the card-carrying gram weenie in me is struggling with the weight of the remaining unused zipper on the hammock.

Since the sides at head end of the hammock are almost always under tension, I am pondering whether a series of Kam snaps along the hammock side seam, for joining the hammock to the half bug net would be a viable option or whether the hammock would pucker up between the snaps and open enough to let bugs in. To combat this, the snaps on the noseeum side could be positioned inboard of the noseeum's side hem leaving a section of noseeum fabric hanging like a skirt inside or outside the hammock.. just enough to close of any openings.

The weight of five or size pairs of snaps along the hammock/noseeum would surely weigh less than two zipper tapes & pulls and could double as spots to attach accessories when the bug net isn't installed..

Any thoughts would be appreciated..
    Funny thing MikekiM, I was thinking the exact same thing since last spring! Wow! I got the snaps and a bag weighs next to nothing. I decided to buy a new hammock first.
    I will post it here after I've proven the design mods.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Equalizer View Post
    Funny thing MikekiM, I was thinking the exact same thing since last spring! Wow! I got the snaps and a bag weighs next to nothing. I decided to buy a new hammock first.
    I will post it here after I've proven the design mods.
    I tried the Kams and found... it was tedious to install and under tension there were too many gaps between the snaps. I have done two more hammocks with the zippered half bug net which works great. My next project is a set of four hammocks with a short zipper only on the entry side, just to be able to position the net out of the way..
    Bob's brother-in-law

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast