Tarp
    Marpatcat
    Insulation
    See sig below
    Suspension
    Grape Vines
    MikekiM,

Thanks for the update!
    I just realized that I have some lightweight shock cord on an old pack that I'm not using. I think I'll give that a try on a half. Only issue is that im not so sure that it won't ride up and slip off. A full hammock fronkie style is one thing, but I might end up adding mitten hooks or something to keep it.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Tell me more... Good chance I have tried it already.

Are saying a length of shock cord going under the hammock body.. Like a HUG net?
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    Green diy Bridge
    Tarp
    Marpatcat
    Insulation
    See sig below
    Suspension
    Grape Vines
    Quote Originally Posted by MikekiM View Post
    Tell me more... Good chance I have tried it already.

Are saying a length of shock cord going under the hammock body.. Like a HUG net?
    That Hug net looks like a good idea too.
    But I was actually thinking of some light elastic on the perimeter of the upper half to 2/3 horizontal netting.
    Then fasteners on the outer body of the hammock. Instead of exactly spaced snaps, just slightly stretch the gaps closed all around . In the front it would drape over the legs without any closure. Does this seem sound to you in theory? When the weather clears, i want to try this in the back.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Worth trying... but my first thought is elastic would be a nightmare as the hammock loads and unloads. That was a annoyance with the HUG..

I'm not sure what you're looking to accomplish.. is it adding a bug net to a hammock that doesn't have one?
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    DIY basic
    Tarp
    Amazon Special
    Insulation
    DIY Apex UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Not sure how it would work with your setup, but when I was first researching all the diy stuff on these forums, I fell in love with the Knotty bugnet that just has pockets sewn into the bottom and uses gravity as a seal. I've tried it countless times in very buggy situations, and they work like a dream. Instead of completely following his directions, I just made my bugnet a foot longer than I normally would all around, and sewed up 5 inch long pockets all along the bugnet. I don't look for rocks, and instead just store all my small things (cellphone, flashlight, eating utensils, extra socks, whatever I might need) in the pockets in the bugnet. Works awesome for storage, and fills my "everything should serve at least two purposes" desire.

Hammock
    Wilderness Logic Night OWL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Pheonix 3s, te-wa
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I tried the Kams and found... it was tedious to install and under tension there were too many gaps between the snaps. I have done two more hammocks with the zippered half bug net which works great. My next project is a set of four hammocks with a short zipper only on the entry side, just to be able to position the net out of the way..
    Gaps between the snaps; would excess material in the form of a sewn hem solve that issue? A big hem with the cam snaps up away from the hem slightly. The excess would drape down over any gaps much the way the half wit functions across your torso except the draping affect would be along the edge. If the hem has one end open then small items or a stick, trekking pole could be inserted for weight to keep the net pulled down.
    I like refried beans. That's why I wanna try fried beans, because maybe they're just as good and we're just wasting time. You don't have to fry them again after all.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Two Tents View Post
    Gaps between the snaps; would excess material in the form of a sewn hem solve that issue? A big hem with the cam snaps up away from the hem slightly. The excess would drape down over any gaps much the way the half wit functions across your torso except the draping affect would be along the edge. If the hem has one end open then small items or a stick, trekking pole could be inserted for weight to keep the net pulled down.
    The challenge is that in a typical GE one side hem at each end is tight while the other is loose. What works to seal the net on one side typically doesn't work at the other side. Same holds true with the Half Wit where it hangs loose.

I tried quite a few setups.. Zippers, snaps, snaps with a waffle clasp setup (alternating the net and hammock in and out with alternating snaps), velcro (what a debacle that was).. even tried magnets. Of all of these, zippers were the most effective because it allows you to easily unzip and push the net back to ease getting in and out (one of the challenges of the Half Wit). If you can be ok without the zippers, sewing it in is best.

I really thought the removable Half Wit net was going to be the end-all.. but having multiple hammocks is far easier.
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    Green diy Bridge
    Tarp
    Marpatcat
    Insulation
    See sig below
    Suspension
    Grape Vines
    Worth trying... but my first thought is elastic would be a nightmare as the hammock loads and unloads. That was a annoyance with the HUG..

I'm not sure what you're looking to accomplish.. is it adding a bug net to a hammock that doesn't have one?
    Yes, I'd like to add a net to a netless hammock.
    If I understand, the whole net would likely come loose when getting in or out of the hammock? I can see that happening. I was hoping that the elastic would offer enough structure and give to stay hooked if I lift up the leg drape that covers around the waist down loosely, when exiting.
    Most of the time I'm not in buggy areas, but once I parked over a fast stream that was breezy enough to keep the skeeters off.
    The rest of the time I normally can toss a drape over the ridge line and be ok. I can probably save twice the weight with a half and some way of shortening the excess.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    I say try the shock cord idea. Add a black squeeze paper clamp at the head end to seal at the gather and call it a day.

Or, just get the HUG. I bought one a while back, really just to see how it was made. It will work for sure.. just not my thing and it was 0.90 noseeum, which is heavier than my preferred 0.67. Packs down small enough to stuff in the front pocket of your pack... or just throw in the very bottom and leave it there.

Easy enough to sew it on an existing pack if you wanted a more permanent solution. If you don't hem the unfinished edges of the drape, it's two straight lines of stitches..
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    Green diy Bridge
    Tarp
    Marpatcat
    Insulation
    See sig below
    Suspension
    Grape Vines
    I'll do a prototype with what I have see how it works with the neighborhood skeeters.
    Then id like to get a piece of light high ventilation (as possible n practical) to make for long distances.

MikekiM, do you have any suggestions of any to use for air flow? My head nets from this year are too stuffy...too low O2. I've noticed that the smaller the breathing area, the more important is air exchange.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast