Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst

Single-pole mod Superfly

Does anyone here have the single-pole mod Superfly yet from the custom tarp builder? I'd love to see a picture of the pole in place where it reaches the inside top of the tarp. Or in my case, where it doesn't reach the top. Mine came in recently and I finally got it setup, and it seems like there is a large gap between the peak of the pole arch and the apex / seam of the tarp. I expected the pole it to make contact with the tarp material pretty much everywhere, creating a covered-wagon kind of loop in the material. But mine only seems to do this at the sides and then it curves such that there is 4 inches or so of peak above the pole. This puts the pole into a bit of bump-your-head range and doesn't open up the tarp as much as I thought it would. What I don't know is if this is normal? Any real-world insight would be appreciated.

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Whoops! Sorry, posted to the wrong forum. An admin want to move this to Warbonnet subforum please?

Hammock
    Half-wit (3 season), Chameleon (win
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Tom View Post
    Does anyone here have the single-pole mod Superfly yet from the custom tarp builder? I'd love to see a picture of the pole in place where it reaches the inside top of the tarp. Or in my case, where it doesn't reach the top. Mine came in recently and I finally got it setup, and it seems like there is a large gap between the peak of the pole arch and the apex / seam of the tarp. I expected the pole it to make contact with the tarp material pretty much everywhere, creating a covered-wagon kind of loop in the material. But mine only seems to do this at the sides and then it curves such that there is 4 pulled the sides down. inches or so of peak above the pole. This puts the pole into a bit of bump-your-head range and doesn't open up the tarp as much as I thought it would. What I don't know is if this is normal? Any real-world insight would be appreciated.
    I recently sent my tarp back for the mod and spent one night with it so far. I’ll have to double check, but I think mine did the same thing once I staked the sides down. It didn’t seem to bother me as I was using it.

I wonder if those who had the 2QZQ mod had the same gap?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TxAggie View Post
    I recently sent my tarp back for the mod and spent one night with it so far. I’ll have to double check, but I think mine did the same thing once I staked the sides down. It didn’t seem to bother me as I was using it.

I wonder if those who had the 2QZQ mod had the same gap?

Does it have a tie at the ridgeline to tie the pole too?
    My mod on my Winter tarp does...helps keep it tight to top of tarp.
    See it 12:58 on video below.

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post

Brandon puts a mitten hook with shock cord instead of a ribbon tie. It works pretty well and seems like it allows the pole to shift a little if needed.

I just did an impromptu setup in my basement and if I pull from the pole pockets, there’s a slight gap, but nothing huge.

When I pull down from the corners, there does seem to be a slightly larger gap, but not much. (I couldn’t get a photo to of this angle.)

It looks like if you put a timeout at the pole end it should give enough tension to pull the tarp down snug with the pole. But in that instance, you’re likely losing headroom because the pole is still in the same position only the tarp pulled down.

I’m planning on an overnight in my test lab this weekend (backyard). I’ll try a few setups and see what happens. From my amateur eyes, it seems like Warbonnet erred on the side of a slightly loose fit to reduce the risk of stressing the tarp. Also, I should add that I have a silpoly Superfly, which doesn’t stretch as much as nylon and could be another reason for a loose fit.

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    I've seen your video and it was that that formed the image in my mind of what this should look like. Full contact with the tarp.

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst

When I pull down from the corners, there does seem to be a slightly larger gap, but not much. (I couldn’t get a photo to of this angle.)

It looks like if you put a timeout at the pole end it should give enough tension to pull the tarp down snug with the pole. But in that instance, you’re likely losing headroom because the pole is still in the same position only the tarp pulled down.

I’m planning on an overnight in my test lab this weekend (backyard). I’ll try a few setups and see what happens. From my amateur eyes, it seems like Warbonnet erred on the side of a slightly loose fit to reduce the risk of stressing the tarp. Also, I should add that I have a silpoly Superfly, which doesn’t stretch as much as nylon and could be another reason for a loose fit.

I tied that shockcord in half to try to draw the tarp down a bit and close the gap, but it isn't great.

For the heck of it I slid the pole out of one of the pockets until it was flush with the tarp material and measured. 3" extra length would be perfect. I think I'll send a note to WB and see if they have any reason why I shouldn't look to remove the gap by swapping in a longer pole.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Tom View Post
    I tied that shockcord in half to try to draw the tarp down a bit and close the gap, but it isn't great.

For the heck of it I slid the pole out of one of the pockets until it was flush with the tarp material and measured. 3" extra length would be perfect. I think I'll send a note to WB and see if they have any reason why I shouldn't look to remove the gap by swapping in a longer pole.
    I did notice that the Superfly pole is slightly shorter than the other center poles they have.

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    I did notice that the Superfly pole is slightly shorter than the other center poles they have.

I saw that too. The Cloudburst is 2" longer, I'd like to give that a try if they will allow me to swap.

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Measured the gap, 5 inches!

DSC_0066.jpg

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast