Hammock
    BBXLC
    Tarp
    UGQ winterdream 12
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    buckles or Daisy
    The first hang in my back yard woods using 1" straps damaged the tree so I switched to 2" huggers after that. 1" straps will damage the thin barked species.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Bridge
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    I carry a pair of 6' (nylon seat belt material) tree huggers .... if they fit the tree I use them, if they are too small I use the 1" tree straps on the main suspension.

Smaller trees have less robust bark and I figure damage is possible with 1" regular webbing, but once the tree gets to a larger size (larger than my 2" straps) the bark is much thicker and 1" straps don't seem to have any adverse effects on the tree.

Brian

Senior Member Tyroler Holzhacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images
    I use 1" straps only. No need for 2" straps. The more important criteria is choosing min 6" circumference trees or other strong attachment point for either end of the suspension. I stay away from places that require the 2" straps, and or set up late so no one would really care or even know what size strap I am using (too dark to see it). Any place where the "strap police" are out and haranguing people about perfectly good 1" straps is no place I want to be hanging.

Hammock
    Big Guy Bridge
    Tarp
    CRO Winter Haven
    Insulation
    JRB UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle 15'
    Quote Originally Posted by FakeDavidBowie View Post
    Where'd you get the 2" sleeves?
    Strapworks.com "simple straps". They are sewn with loops on the ends and much less expensive than anything specifically made for hammocks.

*** Edit: I answered the wrong question. Sorry but I thought others may be interested.
    Last edited by wbJohn; 11-14-2018 at 10:44.
    "God never sends us anything we can't handle. Sometimes I wish He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by wbJohn View Post
    less expensive than anything specifically made for hammocks.
    There are options out there that beat that and are made specifically for hammock use. Cough....
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    Big Guy Bridge
    Tarp
    CRO Winter Haven
    Insulation
    JRB UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle 15'
    Quote Originally Posted by pgibson View Post
    There are options out there that beat that and are made specifically for hammock use. Cough....
    OK, Perhaps I should have said, "less expensive than anything I found specifically made for hammocks."
    "God never sends us anything we can't handle. Sometimes I wish He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa.

Hammock
    Hennessy Expedition-Equip Mosquito-
    Tarp
    Hennessy and Yukon
    Insulation
    Snugpak Underblank
    Suspension
    Daisey chain
    They actually came with another hammock I got to review that had ropes. Tossed the ropes and kept the sleeve. Here is a set of sleeves as well as a hammock with sleeves. I am not sure the size of the sleeves alone. The hammock ones are like what I have and they are around 2" wide.

https://www.amazon.com/Baoblaze-Hamm...k+strap+sleeveeves.https://www.amazon.com/G4Free-Lightw...k+strap+sleeve
    Last edited by bobamos; 11-14-2018 at 23:49.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Bridge
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyroler Holzhacker View Post
    I use 1" straps only. No need for 2" straps. The more important criteria is choosing min 6" circumference trees or other strong attachment point for either end of the suspension. I stay away from places that require the 2" straps, and or set up late so no one would really care or even know what size strap I am using (too dark to see it). Any place where the "strap police" are out and haranguing people about perfectly good 1" straps is no place I want to be hanging.
    I think that the reason for wider straps has more to do with the actual psi exerted on the tree bark where the straps runs versus the lateral loads on the tree itself. I have seen evidence on trees where 1" straps were used, so I suspect there is some truth that narrower straps can damage younger trees ...

I suspect you also meant to say " min 6" diameter tree" , a " 6" circumference tree" is pretty small for hanging on.

Brian

Senior Member Tyroler Holzhacker's Avatar
    Hammock
    DH DL Sparrow/SL Darien
    Tarp
    MacCat/WBSuperfly
    Insulation
    LL/JRB/DIY down
    Suspension
    MSH/Whoopies/strps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser51 View Post
    I think that the reason for wider straps has more to do with the actual psi exerted on the tree bark where the straps runs versus the lateral loads on the tree itself. I have seen evidence on trees where 1" straps were used, so I suspect there is some truth that narrower straps can damage younger trees ...

I suspect you also meant to say " min 6" diameter tree" , a " 6" circumference tree" is pretty small for hanging on.

Brian
    Thanks for that.. yes, I meant 6" dia. I guess I forgot my coffee when I posted that.

Quote Originally Posted by Five Tango View Post
    If a stick were placed vertically under the strap on the back side of the tree,would that help spread the load,make it worse,or have no effect?
    It would help, depending on the diameter and stiffness of your chock sticks. In fact, Yosemite NP requires some form of chocking for straps and tarp lines in both the backpacker's campground as well as the backcountry (and probably the car campgrounds, but I don't know).

I have not seen any issues with the "normal" poly straps in 1" and I use them as is (except in Yosemite where I chock... ), but I have some 1" UHMWPE straps that curl like crazy and become more like a cable than a strap under tension. I noticed on a hang when it was raining and the bark was really wet that my UHMWPE straps had dug into the bark to the point that I felt bad about it. If I continue to use them, I will always chock those straps.
    Caminante, son tus huellas el camino y nada más... - Antonio Machado

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast