Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Ridge line using 550 paracord

Hello I'm new to the forum. I'm also a new backpacker and hammock user. I've car camped for years but loving the new challenges backpacking, gear weights and gear needed to safely accomplish the trip. I've been preparing for winter camping and testing my inexpensive hammock, a diy underquilt and tarp in cold weather. this week I got a chance to test in snow and temps down in the low teens. We usually don't have these temps in Kansas until late December, but this year winter seems to have come early.

Here is the question. I've been using a ridgeline on my hammock all summer and fall ( even though it's been short) using 550 paracord with caribiners on each end and a knot at one end that allows me to adjust my hang based upon my tree selection and width so that I could adjust the length or the ridgeline. Last night temps dipped down to the low teens (12.5 degrees) and woke up with my storage bag down in my face and the ridgeline down. I'm guessing the either my knot didn't hold cause I didn't tie it correctly or the paracord didn't perform well in the cold tempertures. I'm curious what others are using for a ridgeline? What is being used to adjust the tension on the hammock ridgeline or any other suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
    David

Hammock
    Juniper or Walhalla
    Tarp
    Trailheadz winter
    Insulation
    20° Etherial
    Suspension
    Straps/Breeze buck
    Lash it or Zing it

Hammock
    WB Eldorado/DIY
    Tarp
    WB MiniFly/DIY 12'
    Insulation
    WB Wooki/HG Burrow
    Suspension
    DW Spider/Beetle
    I used 550 paracord for my ridgeline back in the day too. It works well enough, but is kind of 'stretchy'. I'm not sure if that's what happened in your case, but changing it to zing-it or -lash-it solves it pretty well. You could even get in to the bling club with a length of line knotted on one end, and a Dutchware wasp, stinger, or even a fleaz.

I dialed in a good ridgeline length for my DIY hammock, so I currently just use a length of lash-it knotted at both ends and setup for my prefered length.

Hammock
    WB BBXLC, DH, DIY, GT Hybrid
    Tarp
    Etowah Outfitters
    Insulation
    HG TQ and JRB UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by dvickers2000 View Post

Here is the question. I've been using a ridgeline on my hammock all summer and fall ( even though it's been short) using 550 paracord with caribiners on each end and a knot at one end that allows me to adjust my hang based upon my tree selection and width so that I could adjust the length or the ridgeline. Last night temps dipped down to the low teens (12.5 degrees) and woke up with my storage bag down in my face and the ridgeline down. I'm guessing the either my knot didn't hold cause I didn't tie it correctly or the paracord didn't perform well in the cold tempertures. I'm curious what others are using for a ridgeline? What is being used to adjust the tension on the hammock ridgeline or any other suggestions would be appreciated.

David
    I have never had any issues with paracord in the cold not holding a knot, so I am going to guess it may just have been a mental lapse while tying the knot. That said, paracord does seems to stretch quite a bit. This means it tends to not do well as ridge lines, or as guy lines for tent poles. It is great stuff for any issue where stretch isn't a factor, is cheap and has smaller inner strands that can be stripped out for gear repairs. I always carry some, but use non stretching cord for ridge lines and guy lines.

I suggest you just DIY a non adjustable ridge line. There are vendors on here that sell the various lines, like Dyneema (sp?), and permanently set it for the sag you prefer. If you want an adjustable ridgeline, there are many vendor sites that offer them very cheap. I got my last ones at whoopee slings dot com I think for ten-fifteen bucks or so. Lots of folks on here make their own and I am sure the DIY section has a tutorial or youtube would for sure. For no more than they cost and the small diameter of the line, I prefer to just buy them.
    Last edited by Miquel Westano; 11-13-2018 at 22:36.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dvickers2000 View Post
    Here is the question. I've been using a ridgeline on my hammock all summer and fall ( even though it's been short) using 550 paracord with caribiners on each end and a knot at one end that allows me to adjust my hang based upon my tree selection and width so that I could adjust the length or the ridgeline.
    First, paracord is a really crappy cord for a ridgeline - too much stretch. Go with Zing-It 1.75 or 2.2 mm. Second, hammock ridgelines are meant to give you a consistent hang - not something you adjust based on tree selection and width. You can do it that way if you want, but not what they're meant for.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WB BBXLC, DH, DIY, GT Hybrid
    Tarp
    Etowah Outfitters
    Insulation
    HG TQ and JRB UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    First, paracord is a really crappy cord for a ridgeline - too much stretch. Go with Zing-It 1.75 or 2.2 mm. Second, hammock ridgelines are meant to give you a consistent hang - not something you adjust based on tree selection and width. You can do it that way if you want, but not what they're meant for.
    That's what I was mumbling around about. I had to edit my response as I said non stretching where I meant non adjustable. The beauty of a fixed non adjustable structural ridgeline is that the lay in the hammock is so much more consistent. I cant imagine fumbling with adjusting the ridgeline on every setup. I remember when I liked everything to have fiddle factor. Now I just want to pitch and be done.

Hammock
    Too many to list here.
    Tarp
    UGQ Hex Hanger 12
    Insulation
    HG and AHE UQ/TQs
    Suspension
    DIY short whoopies
    I got my hammock ridge line from Arrowhead-equipment.com, it’s made out of dynaglide and I love it. I can’t find it on the website but I’m sure that if contact them they’ll point you in the right direction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Backpacking trips in the tropical jungles of Latin America... Exploring our living planet from within...
    http://www.jungletreks.com

I bought a couple of Dream Hammocks from PPa Smurf, they have ridge lines of 7/64 amsteel. My first thought was overkill. Now if I put a ridge line on a hammock this is what I use. Sure it is stronger than necessary, but it is also comforting to know that if I need to grab it, it won't break, if I need it to pull myself up, it doesn't cut into my hand so easy, and also it a bit reassuring, nice and strong. It also splices a bit faster than the thinner ones. Just my thoughts.
    If you prepare for failure you will probably succeed.

Hammock
    Chameleon Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    KC Cat Tangle 12
    Insulation
    LLG CR, Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie & shackle
    I like 7/64" Amsteel for my ridgeline for the reasons old4hats mentioned, and also because the Free Hooks that Dutch sells snap very nicely onto it. I hang a little keychain light with it, and I'm sure I'll come up with other stuff to adorn my ridgeline with...

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by ricktreks View Post
    I got my hammock ridge line from Arrowhead-equipment.com, it’s made out of dynaglide and I love it. I can’t find it on the website but I’m sure that if contact them they’ll point you in the right direction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hey Rick, thanks for the mention. We have both adjustable and fixed length hammock Ridgelines made from Dynaglide.

Second row on the Suspension page: https://www.arrowhead-equipment.com/...uspension.html

And yeah, Paracord sucks for just about anything hammock related. Being nylon it stretches which changes the setup throughout the night and it's not really as strong as most of us want for good safety margins for suspension components. Here is a blog post I wrote a while back about types of ropes and what we use them for most commonly in relation to hammock camping.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast