dutchware chameleon
    Tarp
    11' xenon hex tarp
    Insulation
    hg econ incubator
    Suspension
    beetle buckle

help with UQ sizing

hello everyone! first my apologies if this has been addressed elsewhere, i'm a hf newbie and tried the search for size/sizing but didn't get any results..

anyway, i'm currently building out my first hammock camping setup! very exciting! the next piece i'm looking to get is a quality under quilt, but i'm a little confused about how long of a quilt i will need to get full coverage.

i'm only 5'7", so some of the full length quilts at 77" or so seemed overkill for my height. is there any standard way to measure quilt length for optimal coverage? i was considering going for an LL quilt since they seem to be one of the few that allow for full customization of the lengths. but if it turns out i can use a 7/8 or 3/4 quilt from somewhere else, i'd consider a ucg or hg quilt.

i should add that i tend to be a cold sleeper, so definitely want to make sure my toes are covered for the night!

thanks everyone!

Hammock
    DIY 1.7MTN
    Tarp
    HG Camo DCF Palace
    Insulation
    Incubator/Alsek
    Suspension
    Strap/Cinch Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by alexicon View Post
    hello everyone! first my apologies if this has been addressed elsewhere, i'm a hf newbie and tried the search for size/sizing but didn't get any results..

anyway, i'm currently building out my first hammock camping setup! very exciting! the next piece i'm looking to get is a quality under quilt, but i'm a little confused about how long of a quilt i will need to get full coverage.

i'm only 5'7", so some of the full length quilts at 77" or so seemed overkill for my height. is there any standard way to measure quilt length for optimal coverage? i was considering going for an LL quilt since they seem to be one of the few that allow for full customization of the lengths. but if it turns out i can use a 7/8 or 3/4 quilt from somewhere else, i'd consider a ucg or hg quilt.

i should add that i tend to be a cold sleeper, so definitely want to make sure my toes are covered for the night!

thanks everyone!
    It's probably best to contact the various manufacturers.They will be able to tell you what they recommend for your height.

Each one measures their quilts differently....A 74" from one manufacturer will be the same size as a 78" from another.

This is one reason you will get many opinions on what lenght you'll need.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Need Adventure...Make Adventure

Images
    Here are some factors to consider.

- Will you be using for backpacking, car camping, at home?
    - Longer quilts (and lower temperature ratings) result in greater weight and take up more volume in your pack.
    - Partial length underquilts can be supplemented with something like a sit pad, which you may already be carrying. Some backpacks have removable CCF pads to provide cushioning for your back and structure to the pack.

- What temperatures do you expect to use the quilts in?
    - Many advise a 10 degree buffer rule, so if you forsee the minimum temp you will use the quilt in as 30 degrees, it may be wise to get a 20 degree quilt set.
    - Many also suggest using 3/4 or partial length quilts that are rated above 20 degrees, and full length quilts that are rated 20 degrees and below.

Edit to note that it does seem like you're looking for full coverage, but wondering if you might get that from something like a 7/8 quilt. I agree with the suggestion above from Countrybois. I also agree with your original assessment that by going with LLG, you can really customize the length exactly how you want it, not to mention the great quality of their quilts. But other vendors, UGQ for example, will work with you on custom lengths, too; you'll just have to contact them directly, rather than being able to specify during the ordering process.

All the cottage vendors that are popular on the forum make very high quality quilts, so you really cannot go wrong with any of them.
    Last edited by cmc4free; 11-13-2018 at 13:15.

Although a WB Wooki might be long for you, the down is strategically placed and putting it on the hammock is as easy as things get. Just another option to consider. Otherwise, you can't go wrong with the more "standard" type UQs from the various vendors here.

And, eventually, you may end up with multiple quilt sets. Pick the UQ that will handle the coldest temps you expect to encounter (see buffer rule above) and consider that for your first UQ. You might add a lighter, smaller one later.

Hammock
    Towns-End
    Tarp
    WB, Towns-End, UGQ
    Insulation
    LSOH, JRB, UGQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Images
    I’m 5’9” and have had plenty of coverage with a 70” LL quilt. Should work well for you.
    Hammock Tourist / Hammock Fiend / Hammock Therapist

Hammock
    dutchware chameleon
    Tarp
    11' xenon hex tarp
    Insulation
    hg econ incubator
    Suspension
    beetle buckle
    thanks for the responses so far!

@Countrybois thanks for that insight on the quilt lengths, i'll be sure to double check with the manufacturer on what their official lengths are.

and @cmc4free good to know a lot of these other places will work with me to get the length i need. definitely a perk for ordering from a cottage manufacturer very lucky there are so many to choose from!

ideally, i would like something i can use three season. even in the summer here avg temps are around 40 at night, and will dip into the 30s at elevation - so i was already set on getting a 20 degree under quilt. i figure getting the 20 degree with maybe 1-2oz overstuff, then i can adjust the top quilt according to season. seems pretty easy to adjust air flow on the under quilt to get the temps i need. later down the road i may opt for a shorter UQ for summer, or just use my costco quilt

still wasn't sure if there was a general guideline on what length is "full length". if i'm 5'7", should i just aim to get a 67" UQ for optimal coverage? or maybe just go up to 70" to be safe... (edit: suppose i should take countrybois advice and just ask the manufacturer what they think )

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by alexicon View Post
    thanks for the responses so far!

@Countrybois thanks for that insight on the quilt lengths, i'll be sure to double check with the manufacturer on what their official lengths are.

and @cmc4free good to know a lot of these other places will work with me to get the length i need. definitely a perk for ordering from a cottage manufacturer very lucky there are so many to choose from!

ideally, i would like something i can use three season. even in the summer here avg temps are around 40 at night, and will dip into the 30s at elevation - so i was already set on getting a 20 degree under quilt. i figure getting the 20 degree with maybe 1-2oz overstuff, then i can adjust the top quilt according to season. seems pretty easy to adjust air flow on the under quilt to get the temps i need. later down the road i may opt for a shorter UQ for summer, or just use my costco quilt

still wasn't sure if there was a general guideline on what length is "full length". if i'm 5'7", should i just aim to get a 67" UQ for optimal coverage? or maybe just go up to 70" to be safe... (edit: suppose i should take countrybois advice and just ask the manufacturer what they think )
    It's a debated topic, but keep in mind the overstuff doesn't necessarily add to the temp rating for a quilt. The temp rating is based on the overall thickness of the insulation, which is determined by the cut of the fabric. A 20 degree quilt with no overstuff and one with +3oz still have the same cut of fabric, and will theoretically have the same or very similar insulation ability under ideal conditions.

Where overstuff is likely to come in handy:

- Helping the quilt to loft better and more fully after compression, thus achieving the theoretical maximum insulation based on the height of the baffles more quickly and easily.

- Retaining the theoretical insulation properties better on multi-day trips, where the down could take on and retain more moisture, and undergo multiple compression cycles possibly while damp. So more down is kind of like insurance in this regard.

- Helping to avoid "voids" in the down which can be caused by compression and unintentional down migration. Those voids will allow more convective heat loss to occur in those localized spots, but the downy fibers reduce convection thereby retaining more of your body heat. On the same token, overstuff does give you more down to play with for intentional down migration, forcing it to the places where it's needed most. But again, the insulation properties are more a function of the thickness of the quilt, which is lofted by the down, than they are by the exact amount of down in a given spot.

Basically, overstuff won't make the quilt warmer under ideal (theoretical) conditions, but it may allow it to perform better/closer to those ideal conditions in real-world backpacking situations. Just don't expect overstuff to transform a 20 degree quilt into a 10 degree quilt.

If you're willing to live on the margins, the 7/8 will probably work. I'm 5'9" and use a DIY 7/8 UQ and my head just goes off (some people leave their head on the quilt and use a pad under their feet in this scenario). You get a little bit more than the published length because the diagonal is more like 79", but you can't use all of that diagonal in practice. Doesn't matter too much because I use a pillow, so my head doesn't get cold. You do have to set it up just right as a few inches in the wrong direction will result in cold shoulders or cold feet. I like the thought of saving a little weight, though.

If you're not interesting in living on the margins, go 70-72". I made my daughter a 72" x 44" CS UQ and it is quite luxurious for me with full head to toe coverage and some room to wiggle.
    Caminante, son tus huellas el camino y nada más... - Antonio Machado

I'll add two things to post #7:

A bit of overfill can extend the life of a down-insulated product as the down degrades over the years.

Too much overfill will actually reduce the "r"-value.

Hammock
    dutchware chameleon
    Tarp
    11' xenon hex tarp
    Insulation
    hg econ incubator
    Suspension
    beetle buckle
    Thanks again for all the information, particularly about the overfill - that was very helpful indeed!

If anyone is interested I've decided to go with the HQ econ incubator 20F short 1oz overfill. At the price point i thought it would give me a good opportunity to figure out what exactly my UQ needs are, while still having a good shot at reselling this so i can get something else later.

• + New Posts