Red face Hi from Hong Kong! (originally UK)

I've been reading this forums for a while, thought I'd say hello!

Currently living in HK, but will be going back to good ol' Blighty soon. There is no hammock camping here, way too humid!

I started my hammock adventure last year, when I attempted to thru-hike the AT. My first time putting up a hammock was the first night on the AT, in torrential rain. It sucked haha. But I'd committed all the how-to videos to memory and it all worked out somehow. It was a Hennessy Hyperlite Asym, a lovely hammock to be sure, but I never managed to fall asleep or get super comfy in it, even after 7 weeks. Maybe with some of the experts here I could have dialed it in, maybe I screwed up somehow. At least the hammock stayed up!

I'm now looking at the Ridgerunner, as I'm a side-sleeper. And I can't stop watching Shug's videos, they're so dang relaxing.

Australia...Sub-Tropical Qld, Temperate Tasmania & Tropical Thailand
    Hammock
    Madtree Tarseer
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben
    Insulation
    Warm & fluffy
    Suspension
    Slings and Rings
    Images
    Welcome to the forum, boothbot.
    Goodluck with the return journey home.
    Mountain views are good for the soul....& getting to them is good for my waistline.

https://ofuros.exposure.co/

Joined in March, first post in November. Took your time, huh?

And did you finish the thru or no? Heck, even attempting it gets kudos in my book. As for getting comfy in the Hennessy, how tall are you? I had an Expedition for a couple of years and at 5'9" I think it fits me okay but would be too confined for anyone much over 5'10". Forget Hennessy's guide of 6'.

The Ridgerunner is a comfy hammock; that's what my wife uses and I've slept in it a time or two. I've also got another bridge for myself. Cons to the bridges are the weight of the spreader bars for backpacking. Side sleeping is possible, though I'm usually on my back even in the bridge hammock. If you get a chance, see Shug's recent video on side sleeping.

Oh, and welcome to the forums.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Senior Member StrungUpNewfoundlander's Avatar
    Hammock
    LSOH Warrior XL
    Tarp
    LSOH FireFly
    Insulation
    LSOH Toaster
    Suspension
    Whoopie Dutch Bits
    Images
    Hello,
    Watch everything Shug has on hammocks and the technical bits twice and then, if you employ all that and it still doesn't work for you, maybe best to get a nice Hilleberg tent. No shame in it, you've done what you can reasonably do.
    Best Kind

Quote Originally Posted by sidneyhornblower View Post
    Joined in March, first post in November. Took your time, huh?

And did you finish the thru or no? Heck, even attempting it gets kudos in my book. As for getting comfy in the Hennessy, how tall are you? I had an Expedition for a couple of years and at 5'9" I think it fits me okay but would be too confined for anyone much over 5'10". Forget Hennessy's guide of 6'.

The Ridgerunner is a comfy hammock; that's what my wife uses and I've slept in it a time or two. I've also got another bridge for myself. Cons to the bridges are the weight of the spreader bars for backpacking. Side sleeping is possible, though I'm usually on my back even in the bridge hammock. If you get a chance, see Shug's recent video on side sleeping.

Oh, and welcome to the forums.
    Haha, true! I guess I figured I had nothing to contribute, but I've been bored at work, perusing these forums, watching Shug, so I wanted to say hi.

I didn't finish the thru sadly, woke up one day with a huge blotch in my eye. Had to get off the trail, get to a doctor. Burst blood vessel at the back of my eye. If I'd known what it was I would have carried on! Only did 420 miles in the end. I want to try again tho!

I'm not tall at all, 5'6". I think maybe I wasn't getting the hang right, not adjusting enough after a long day? I was using the trust Becket hitch, which never failed me, but in future I'd want something much faster to adjust, like the cinch buckles. I was jealous seeing the tent havers setting up before I'd finished! I need a much faster set up, but couldn't play around before I attempted the thru-hike. I have lots of ideas to try now thanks to these forums!

Quote Originally Posted by StrungUpNewfoundlander View Post
    Hello,
    Watch everything Shug has on hammocks and the technical bits twice and then, if you employ all that and it still doesn't work for you, maybe best to get a nice Hilleberg tent. No shame in it, you've done what you can reasonably do.
    Oh I have, love his videos! Nice to watch before bed. His ambles are a far cry from HK, I'll tell ya

Quote Originally Posted by ofuros View Post
    Welcome to the forum, boothbot.
    Goodluck with the return journey home.
    Cheers!

• + New Posts