Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    In freezing temperatures, your BREATH will condense.
    The colder it is, the more frost you get. Shug has the right idea with his bib rig. It acts as a collection device and keeps the frost off your top quilt. I use a fleece top cover set up that hangs under my hammock ridge line. It's on a couple s-biner slides and I can open or close it. In single digit and lower temps, the cover picks up a lot of frost, but my quilt stays dry. The frost will melt and evaporate without getting the quilts wet. Where I live is high desert and humidity is very low. I doubt that this rig would be as efficient in more humid climates
    Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Larger? Yes. More expensive? Yes. Heavier? Definitely not. My HG Winter Palace weighs 8.6 ounces.

I've never had even a bit of splash on my UQ, and I suspect the same is true of any 4-season tarp with doors. I also have never noticed any loss of warmth because of wind, because I have a 4-season tarp. If I were trying to get by with a skimpier tarp, then I might consider a UQP or undercover, but since I'm not, I don't!
    Well, that makes total sense. No real need for an UQP if you have a fully enclosing tarp. Do you ever get any condensation when you close it up completely?

8.6 oz for a fully enclosing winter tarp? Whew! That had to cost a pretty penny, must be dynema or CF I guess? Good for you, I wouldn't mind one of those myself. Maybe someday. I'm still using my old JRB 11X10 rectangular, at I think 19 oz. Even my HH asym tarp, which I might still use for old times sake(with my HHSS) weighs 11 oz.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SnrMoment View Post
    In freezing temperatures, your BREATH will condense.
    The colder it is, the more frost you get. Shug has the right idea with his bib rig. It acts as a collection device and keeps the frost off your top quilt. I use a fleece top cover set up that hangs under my hammock ridge line. It's on a couple s-biner slides and I can open or close it. In single digit and lower temps, the cover picks up a lot of frost, but my quilt stays dry. The frost will melt and evaporate without getting the quilts wet. Where I live is high desert and humidity is very low. I doubt that this rig would be as efficient in more humid climates
    Do you think that rig adds a significant amount of warmth?

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Do you ever get any condensation when you close it up completely?
    Sure - just like any tarp. If there is no wind, there will be condensation. Where's your breath gonna go?
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Hammock Gear - 1.6 with Net
    Tarp
    UGQ - WD 12'
    Insulation
    HG Burrow + Incub.
    Suspension
    Straps + Buckle.
    Thanks for all the dialog. I think for now, I'll just do without the cover. I can unzip the top net if I get condensation on it. I also have a large winter tarp (12' UGQ Winterdream) so that allows me some flexibility on how much to close it off to the world.

I'll just need to experiment to dial-in how my system works. I understand the mechanism for condensation so I'll just play with it.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kevperro View Post
    Thanks for all the dialog. I think for now, I'll just do without the cover. I can unzip the top net if I get condensation on it. I also have a large winter tarp (12' UGQ Winterdream) so that allows me some flexibility on how much to close it off to the world.

I'll just need to experiment to dial-in how my system works. I understand the mechanism for condensation so I'll just play with it.
    Sounds like a good plan since you already have that large winter tarp!

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12