Netty, XLC
    Tarp
    HG Std, Zpacks Asy
    Insulation
    HG, EE, Loco Libre
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles

Northern Arizona hang spots - early Thanksgiving week

My son and I are driving out from SoCal for a family Thanksgiving in Sedona. We planned to spend a night or two camping along the way. I checked Joshua tree campgrounds and they are full, plus I'd rather go a little further from home before stopping.

I may meet part of the family at the Grand Canyon on Tuesday. I need to pick my wife up at the Flagstaff airport late Tuesday night. The rest of the gang is arriving from Texas Sunday and may be driving around sightseeing Mon/Tue. We could arrive Sedona any time starting Sunday afternoon.

Any recommendations for dispersed camping between Kingman and the GC? We're willing to hike a little, but the days are short, so not too far from where we can drive our car to. Trees for hammocks are preferred, although I've hung from my car to a pole before (several here on HF chided me for hanging from the roof rack). Bonus if there's a fire pit.

Idealy we would leave North SD on Sunday and stop somewhere before it gets dark, then make our way to the Williams or South Rim area Monday and camp there. I've never driven passed Joshua tree on that route - always come to AZ from LV or from the south (via I-8). Suggestions on scenic or fun routes are also welcome.

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.

Slbear
    Last edited by slbear; 11-12-2018 at 20:07.

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL 1.1 Marpat camo
    Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 or HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    A couple of years ago we camped at Hualapai Mountain Park right outside of Kingman. What you learn quickly in AZ is that you have to gain some altitude if you want trees for hanging, that's what makes Hualapai so unique. There also is not much national forest land between Kingman and Williams, so other choices are scarce.

http://www.mcparks.com/parks/hualapa...ccommodations/

(click on camping)

There is a fee for camping there. We attempted to pay the fee at the kiosk when we arrived late on a Saturday night but the place was completely full, so we "squatted" on an empty piece of ground (well I hung my hammock, so no squatting for me!). Since you are coming in on a Sunday night you should be OK, but don't get there too late.

Have fun!

--Kurt
    My hiking/backpacking Youtube channel: Youtube

My BackpackGearTest reviews: Reviews

If you have an HH, then you should read my SuperShelter review: HH Super Shelter

Hammock
    Netty, XLC
    Tarp
    HG Std, Zpacks Asy
    Insulation
    HG, EE, Loco Libre
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by kwpapke View Post
    A couple of years ago we camped at Hualapai Mountain Park right outside of Kingman. What you learn quickly in AZ is that you have to gain some altitude if you want trees for hanging, that's what makes Hualapai so unique. There also is not much national forest land between Kingman and Williams, so other choices are scarce.

http://www.mcparks.com/parks/hualapa...ccommodations/

(click on camping)

There is a fee for camping there. We attempted to pay the fee at the kiosk when we arrived late on a Saturday night but the place was completely full, so we "squatted" on an empty piece of ground (well I hung my hammock, so no squatting for me!). Since you are coming in on a Sunday night you should be OK, but don't get there too late.

Have fun!

--Kurt

We rolled in late to Hualapai Mountain Park after being unimpressed by the Cattail Cove site near Lake Havasu. Great tip Kurt!

It was cold, dark, and mostly empty when we arrived. We went to look at "tent" sites before committing, but were quickly joined by a Ranger in his pickup, who took our fee, got us a bundle of firewood from the locked cabinet, and drove us to a few sites before leaving us to decide. Really great people! He filled out the forms, drove us to 3 sites he thought would be hammock friendly, and got out of his pickup at each site to shine his bright light on the campsites. Camping fee was $17, and the office/ranger refunded us $3 the next day because we didn't have exact change the night before.

Temps dropped to the low 20s, which is cold for us SoCal guys. We could have used more firewood - a mistake rectified on the following night near the Grand Canyon. We started the fire too early (because it was cold), and burned through half the bundle by the time we had our hammocks setup and dinner cooking. We had a Biolite camp stove between us, which add more heat. It was dark, and fairly rugged terrain so we couldn't gather much wood, except to feed the biolite.

Ramen and biolite.jpg

The night was cold, especially face and feet. I had HG 20F Burrow Incubator. My son uses an Arrowhead 3-season Jarbidge and TNF sleeping bag. and The sun warmed things up quickly, but we didn't linger long, wanting to get a Route 66 diner breakfast, and make our way further East and North to Kaibab NF.

Kingman hammocks.jpg

Kingman hammocks 2.jpg

We found a great spot the next night just NW of Tusayan, on Forest Road 328. In addition to more layers, we also draped our tarps over our hammocks like a topcover. My son added a silk liner and an UQP, and I slid one of those heavier space blankets between the two layers of my XLC. I thought I would experience CBS and cold feet, but actually warmed up nicely. It was at least as cold that night, but we were better insulated.

GC hammocks.jpg

Thanks again to Kurt for the recommendation, and a shout-out to the rangers at Hualapai Mountain Park, as well as the rangers in Tusayan that pointed us to the campsite the next night (which was free). You Arizona guys are OK by me! We met up with family at GCNP, and spent the rest of the week down in Sedona.

GCNP.jpg

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slbear View Post
    We rolled in late to Hualapai Mountain Park after being unimpressed by the Cattail Cove site near Lake Havasu. Great tip Kurt!

It was cold, dark, and mostly empty when we arrived. We went to look at "tent" sites before committing, but were quickly joined by a Ranger in his pickup, who took our fee, got us a bundle of firewood from the locked cabinet, and drove us to a few sites before leaving us to decide. Really great people! He filled out the forms, drove us to 3 sites he thought would be hammock friendly, and got out of his pickup at each site to shine his bright light on the campsites. Camping fee was $17, and the office/ranger refunded us $3 the next day because we didn't have exact change the night before.

Temps dropped to the low 20s, which is cold for us SoCal guys. We could have used more firewood - a mistake rectified on the following night near the Grand Canyon. We started the fire too early (because it was cold), and burned through half the bundle by the time we had our hammocks setup and dinner cooking. We had a Biolite camp stove between us, which add more heat. It was dark, and fairly rugged terrain so we couldn't gather much wood, except to feed the biolite.

Ramen and biolite.jpg

The night was cold, especially face and feet. I had HG 20F Burrow Incubator. My son uses an Arrowhead 3-season Jarbidge and TNF sleeping bag. and The sun warmed things up quickly, but we didn't linger long, wanting to get a Route 66 diner breakfast, and make our way further East and North to Kaibab NF.

Kingman hammocks.jpg

Kingman hammocks 2.jpg

We found a great spot the next night just NW of Tusayan, on Forest Road 328. In addition to more layers, we also draped our tarps over our hammocks like a topcover. My son added a silk liner and an UQP, and I slid one of those heavier space blankets between the two layers of my XLC. I thought I would experience CBS and cold feet, but actually warmed up nicely. It was at least as cold that night, but we were better insulated.

GC hammocks.jpg

Thanks again to Kurt for the recommendation, and a shout-out to the rangers at Hualapai Mountain Park, as well as the rangers in Tusayan that pointed us to the campsite the next night (which was free). You Arizona guys are OK by me! We met up with family at GCNP, and spent the rest of the week down in Sedona.

GCNP.jpg
    Hey, great report and pics! I used to camp all over North Az, and it sure could get cold up high in the winter. Or even in the fall and spring!

Welcome to my world with the space blanket trick! I always find that to be a big help. Did you get much condensation?

How did the different quilts do at those temps before adding a space blanket or other tricks?

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL 1.1 Marpat camo
    Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 or HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slbear View Post
    <snip>
    GCNP.jpg
    Great trip report, and so glad to hear the park worked for you! Thank you for the tip on the hanging spot along FR 328. Always looking for a nearby place to camp the night before a Grand Canyon hike, and hadn't found one yet. Have to check that out.

--Kurt
    My hiking/backpacking Youtube channel: Youtube

My BackpackGearTest reviews: Reviews

If you have an HH, then you should read my SuperShelter review: HH Super Shelter

Hammock
    Netty, XLC
    Tarp
    HG Std, Zpacks Asy
    Insulation
    HG, EE, Loco Libre
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Hey, great report and pics! I used to camp all over North Az, and it sure could get cold up high in the winter. Or even in the fall and spring!

Welcome to my world with the space blanket trick! I always find that to be a big help. Did you get much condensation?

How did the different quilts do at those temps before adding a space blanket or other tricks?
    the 20F HG quilts were good for me. I was layered up, and had that space blanket (and the HG tarp draped over the hammock. I would do that again with temps predicted down to 20F. I might consider a down hood or booties if going any lower - my torso was warm once I warmed up the quilts. Minimal condensation, just by my mouth on the top quilt. There wasn't a cloud in the sky so it wasn't the most challenging conditions for external condensation.

• + New Posts