Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    Hennesy Hyperlite
    Tarp
    HG cuben fiber
    Insulation
    Wilderness logics

Simply light trail lair Vs. Dutch chameleon

I will mainly use this hammock for backpacking which model do you prefer and why? I will also be using under quilt so ease of use with that is also a factor.
    Last edited by Cody053; 11-12-2018 at 17:42.

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    I don't own either of those hammocks. But from what I've read, you can't go wrong with either option. They will both handle underquilts with no problems. Both vendors offer great service. Jared (SLD) is lightning fast with custom orders, and shipping is free. Dutch needs no introduction; and has created a unique system with the Chameleon- which is currently on sale.

LOVE my Trail Lair! I spent a full week in it recently and have not slept that good in years. I got the wind shield with mine and had no condensation issues in Oregon in cold rainy weather. 100%.satisfied. I got the wide in 1.6 hex. It is very comfortable. Jared has lots of options for storage. I am sure you can't go wrong with either. I went with SLD because of my perception from reviews that it might be more comfortable than the Chameleon, but I have no direct experience in the Chameleon.

I have them both. Love them both. Been using the chameleon as I have a top cover for it and not my trail lair. It's a tough call really...i do like the zipper better on the chameleon.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    I too have both and like them both but I have an issue with calf ridge in my Chameleon and just can't get rid of it but not with my Trail Lair. So I tend to use the Trail Lair a bit more but my Warbonnet Ridgerunner is the hammock that gets the most use.

Hammock
    Hennesy Hyperlite
    Tarp
    HG cuben fiber
    Insulation
    Wilderness logics
    I was leaning towards chameleon because of add ins such as side car and such and the sale currently but still struggling to make the choice

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cody053 View Post
    I was leaning towards chameleon because of add ins such as side car and such and the sale currently but still struggling to make the choice
    You can't go wrong with the Chameleon especially when on sale.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY SilPoly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Hybrid UHMWPE/MSH
    I had a Chameleon. It went up for sale shortly after I got my first SLD. I love my Trail Liar and have my second Tree Runner being delivered tomorrow. I have a lot of Dutchware gear, but as far as hammocks go, nobody does it better than Jared. The design is fantastic and the craftsmanship of the stitching is head and shoulders above what I saw on the Chameleon. I had several loose threads on my Chameleon. Nothing serious, but when paying over $200 for a hammock I expect better.

The Chameleon was my first hammock, and it was just fine for what it was. However, when I look at it objectively, my Trail Liar is made out of the fabric of my choosing, weighs less, was delivered faster, cost less, and is of higher quality than the Chameleon. The only reasons I could see for choosing a Chameleon over a Trail Liar is if you're a huge Dutch fan and put value in the name on the tag or if you plan on using it as a loaner. The modularity would be a nice feature if there were multiple people taking turns with it and they all had different preferences. Other than that, the Trail Liar is the clear winner in my book.

These are just my opinions and experiences. No offense meant to anybody. Like I said, I'm a fan of Dutch's gear. I have no doubt that there are plenty of happy Chameleon owners. I just happen to be somebody that prefers the Trail Liar for the reasons listed above.

Hammock
    Towns-End
    Tarp
    WB, Towns-End, UGQ
    Insulation
    LSOH, JRB, UGQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Images
    Agree with others, can't go wrong with either. Both are wonderfully made. I have a slight preference for the Trail Lair, but only because I had one before a Chameleon. If you want add ons at a later date, the chameleon all the way. Im scratching on a new trail lair myself.
    Hammock Tourist / Hammock Fiend / Hammock Therapist

Hammock
    Dutchware
    Tarp
    Sld / Kitsapcowboy
    Insulation
    Sld T Winder / Llg
    Suspension
    Dw / Sheltowee
    Images
    I owed both & both are awesome . Trail lair has a windshield (top cover ) out of hammock storage (sunset saddle bags ) inside storage ( movable peak shelves ) . Jared is fast & his craftsman ship is top notch. Dutch is equally as amazing though you may run a wait time with his sale. Jared would crank a trail lair in 24-48 hrs
    HAMmock po·lyg·a·mist

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast