Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    It's good to see this reminder, even if it makes me shiver. As I recall, I think I was the only one that had a complete change of dry clothes when we reached the Wise shelter (including multiple layers for my legs), .....................
    David, I have been wondering: those Gore Tex ski pants you changed into at the shelter, and which seemed to function adequately even after your creek crossing: what type of insulation was that?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sidneyhornblower View Post
    If you've got something like Crocs or sandals or some other quick draining/drying camp shoes, why would you NOT take off boots and socks for creek crossings? I forgot to mention that on my last trip to Sipsey in December 2017 I suffered the weight of my camp shoes specifically for that purpose - keeping shoes and socks dry. Both times I forded the Sipsey I took off shoes and socks and used my Crocs. You can see me doing so about midway through this short video of the trip linked below, about 1:54 on the timeline. Air temperature at the time was barely above freezing. My feet were numb but the Crocs protected them from the rocks and I was able to dry off and put on dry socks and shoes when I got to the other side. I think that beats walking in squishy wet footwear in freezing temps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gfb5H9qWIb8
    Very true, if you have carried the weight of extra shoes for that purpose, it would make little sense not to use them. I have also used my Crocs for that same purpose. In fact, they were purchased in Salt Lake City REI, at a last minute stop on the way from SLC to the Wind River Mountains, for those exact dual purposes. This is what I normally do.

Great video BTW!

But, I have considered trying an alternative sometimes used when creek crossings are very frequent and/or it is raining all day. IOW, stopping to remove shoes and socks and then to put them back on can be a real time consumer. And if it is pouring rain as you do that, or even just as you hike all day in pouring rain, your socks may end up soaked anyway.

So, some advise just forgetting water proof boots and socks, and just hiking in quick draining shoes or sandals with or without socks. Maybe with something like neoprene socks if it is pretty cold? The idea being that as you are hiking the water drains out pretty quickly, and if you are doing another crossing every 1/4 mile at every little drainage ( like I have done when it is pouring in Sipsey), your feet are probably going to get wet anyway. So just wait until you get to camp to change into dry, warm foot wear. I have hiked with folks like this (Angrysparrow was one I think) who never slowed down at a creek crossing unless it was deep enough to be dangerous. They just blew right through it while the rest of us were searching for a safe log or taking our boots off and putting them back on, which can be real tricky if doing so in a deluge. Those guys didn't seem to suffer anymore with cold feet than anyone else.

I must admit I have considered trying this approach for quite a while now, but have not yet changed from my old habits.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 11-13-2018 at 12:44.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Cold and wet, the most dangerous combination by far.

When it's raining/sleeting/snowing and above freezing — and even several degrees below — you're going to get wet one way or another if you're exercising in these conditions. That's why I love it when it's about 20°F, because it isn't too cold and yet everything remains solidly frozen, and it's easy to ventilate clothing to avoid overheating. However, freezing rain ("ice storm") can be the absolute worst.

In the linked thread, the mention of cotton makes me shudder — it should be absolutely banned in the winter, and silk isn't much better, and even some merino wool can take a very long time to dry. Nothing beats good ole polyester, and some say polypropylene, but outside the Lifa brand I'm not aware offhand that there are very many (if any other) sources for polypro these days. In any event, the properties of polyester are IMO preferable to polypro, anyway... it's lighter in weight and isn't prone to shrinkage in a very hot clothes dryer............................................. .........................................
    Great post and pics, good info, cmoulder!

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sidneyhornblower View Post
    If you've got something like Crocs or sandals or some other quick draining/drying camp shoes, why would you NOT take off boots and socks for creek crossings? I forgot to mention that on my last trip to Sipsey in December 2017 I suffered the weight of my camp shoes specifically for that purpose - keeping shoes and socks dry. Both times I forded the Sipsey I took off shoes and socks and used my Crocs. You can see me doing so about midway through this short video of the trip linked below, about 1:54 on the timeline. Air temperature at the time was barely above freezing. My feet were numb but the Crocs protected them from the rocks and I was able to dry off and put on dry socks and shoes when I got to the other side. I think that beats walking in squishy wet footwear in freezing temps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gfb5H9qWIb8
    I'm with you there. I'd have no problem doing it barefoot if necessary. Even deeper water naked if it meant putting on warm, dry clothes afterwards. The think the only time I'd start charging thru water and soaking my clothes and shoes would be multiple crossings, per hour. Like non-stop, 20 times per day. Otherwise, it's worth 5 minutes of effort or less.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Ditto on sleeping in the fleece due to lack of compression. And it is heavy. If you leave the fleece at home, what do you take in it's place these days?
    In response to the question quoted above, I haven't solved that problem yet. I still have an assortment of fleece tops of various weights to choose from depending on expected conditions. I don't own a down puffy and won't for some time yet because of other priorities. One thing I'm experimenting with is the synthetic liner from an Army M65 field coat. It's pretty useless by itself but works well as a layer beneath a windbreaker or rain jacket. It's cheap and durable and relatively light at 12 ounces. I've worn it under my Frog Toggs top, for instance. I've also used it as extra insulation for my feet inside the top quilt instead of a pad.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    David, I have been wondering: those Gore Tex ski pants you changed into at the shelter, and which seemed to function adequately even after your creek crossing: what type of insulation was that?
    I don't think they were especially dry, but the conditions had changed radically. The rain and freezing rain we experienced while climbing were just changing to snow as we reached the Wise Shelter. The hike out to Quebec Branch and on to the Grayson Campground was on a sheltered slope which already had a good covering of snow, and the new snow was falling fast. After crossing Quebec Branch I was wet from the knees down. Trudging uphill in 10" of snow for the last mile took some effort. What saved me was that after changing at Wise I had multiple layers of dry clothing. I may have been using my surplus army pants liners, too - a great garment layer, like the synthetic liner that Sidneyhornblower mentioned. The best advice I can give for winter camping is to use layering wisely (like knowing not to overdress while climbing, Doctari) (also pay attention to cougarmeat's advice) and be prepared to replace everything. What you use for layers should be what has worked for you in the past. I have a light weight long-sleeved polyester pullover that is nothing special, but it fits me well and goes on every hike. Climbing in freezing rain at Mt. Rogers I wore it and a rain parka. My down parka was stowed in my pack, and it was dry when I needed it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123