Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Country Roads View Post
    I like Dutch Wire; doesn't tangle up very easy. This is great for me, because I hate taking the time to properly roll up the lines.
    That looks similar to the Zpacks Z-line cord I just got. Stiff but not too stiff. The sheath makes it easy to work with, no tangling, and the ends fuse nicely with a lighter. 2mm is definitely my choice.

Hammock
    Half-Zipped
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Quote Originally Posted by presta24 View Post
    With so many options, what the best for the buck? I just ordered a winter tarp and plan on using fleaz on all the tie outs but am unsure which line I should buy.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    In an attempt to make my gear lighter for long distance hiking I've tried the lighter sheathed stuff(dutchwire/zpacks stuff) and it always wears through. This happened a lot when I wrapped it around rocks if the ground was too rocky for stakes. I like being able to do that and not having to worry about the line. I use zing it and havn't had any of the same issues. You can also buy 180' spools of it for $30.

Hammock
    DH Darien, SLD Tree Runner
    Tarp
    HG hex
    Insulation
    Timmermade, Revolt
    Suspension
    Kevlar, Lapp Hitch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Two Speed View Post
    In an attempt to make my gear lighter for long distance hiking I've tried the lighter sheathed stuff(dutchwire/zpacks stuff) and it always wears through. This happened a lot when I wrapped it around rocks if the ground was too rocky for stakes. I like being able to do that and not having to worry about the line. I use zing it and havn't had any of the same issues. You can also buy 180' spools of it for $30.
    A possible strategy there is to carry a couple of 4-5 foot pieces of zingit or other cheap cord to wrap around the rocks, then attach the more delicate z-line to that. Although it has incredible tensile strength, I've had 1.2mm z-line nearly sawed thru in the course of one windy night when attached directly to rocks.
    Five Basic Principles of Going Lighter (not me... the great Cam Honan of OZ)
    “If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking.” ~ Gen. George S Patton

Anyone ever use these? As much as I want the fleas, they are spendy.

TRIWONDER Aluminum Alloy Guyline Cord Adjuster Tent Tensioners Rope Adjuster for Tent Hiking Camping (Red - 6 Pack) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XW2WXMP..._a9W6BbKXJ6GZ0

Hammock
    Dutch Wide 11', H.H.
    Tarp
    Superfly, Noah 12'
    Insulation
    Incubator 0, Jarbr
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs
    you could always use a taughline hitch for free

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by presta24 View Post
    Anyone ever use these? As much as I want the fleas, they are spendy.

TRIWONDER Aluminum Alloy Guyline Cord Adjuster Tent Tensioners Rope Adjuster for Tent Hiking Camping (Red - 6 Pack) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XW2WXMP..._a9W6BbKXJ6GZ0

Kelty included some plastic tensioners like this with the Noah's tarp. Not bad, but I like something that gives you 3-to-1 mechanical advantage. Something like the Nite-Ize figure 9s let you get it nice and taut with no effort. Hardware like this is nice since you can slide it up and down and use less cordage. You can do the same with knots, but you need enough rope to make it back to the loop to do the same thing (usually at the tarp)

That Amazon link is interesting. They copied the MSR rings and the Loop Alien! 9 options total

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 double
    Tarp
    WB Mambajamba
    Insulation
    DIY syn quilts
    Suspension
    Line / Strap
    My personal preference is thin diameter line with a reflective ribbon. I don't use hardware, only knots.
    Knots don't add any weight and it's a great skill to have.

Hammock
    DH Sparrow #2779
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ-HG/KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Kevlar/Ti CinchBkl
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by leiavoia View Post
    You don't need anything fancy for guylines.

I use the cheap white nylon cord i get at Walmart for $2 for 40ft. That's pretty cost effective.

You can also get braided mason line for <$4 for several hundred feet. Usually comes in hi-viz neon colors.
    This is correct. Achieving "bang for the buck" is easier by reducing the price since cord is pretty much cord and for tie-outs there really aren't any features to differentiate one from another. It's just preference.

My preference is Atwood Micro Cord - 43 colors of regular and 9 of reflective (and even a Kevlar version). All priced very reasonably ($4.49 for 125'). Atwood is even braiding UHMWPE cords now which are MUCH more cost-effective than other Dyneema cords on the market.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Men hang out their signs indicative of their respective trades; shoe makers hang out a gigantic shoe; jewelers a monster watch, and the dentist hangs out a gold tooth; but up in the Mountains of New Hampshire, God Almighty has hung out a sign to show that there He makes men.
    - Daniel Webster

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    JacksRBetr 12 x 10
    Insulation
    JRB 20deg set
    Suspension
    Straps &amp; Whoopies
    Fleaz seem to go best with 1.5-2.0 mm line. I think the best value, $18 for 100 ft, shipping incl, is probably https://lawsonequipment.com/Cordage/...5mm-p1114.html Not practical to splice, but it holds knots and it works with Fleaz very well.

Still, for winter camping, I'd go with something easier to handle, like Lawson's 2mm glowire. I've used it with fleaz and wasps. It also reflects like a laser. Probably not the cheapest option, though

Ended up getting 100' off the son for $12. Also ordered the figure 9s that were previously linked here. Thinking I might actually go with a full length ridgline for the new tarp set up so I can hang a lantern.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12