Hammock
    11 ft DIY 1.6 HyperD Diamd Ripstop
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 13 End Mods
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps

Trip Report - WI > New Moon Hang Plus > Newport State Park > Nov. 9-11, 2018

Link to the original thread: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...-Nov-9-11-2018

Please post your pictures and comments in this thread.

We had eight campers who braved the first significant snow fall of the season to enjoy a state park at the tip of Door County. Part of the draw of Newport State Park is the awesome star viewing since it's a dark sky park and we felt lucky to get a portion of clear skies both nights. One campers even saw a meteor race across the sky.

Normal temps are 44/36 and we experienced Friday temps of 33/25 and Saturday temps of 31/26.

We had half tent campers and half hammock campers. Half women and half men in attendance plus one dog.

On Saturday, we enjoyed a tour of the sleep systems and a long afternoon hike along the shores of Lake Michigan.

The group site is PERFECT for hammock camping. It's about a 10 minute hike in from the parking lot. There's a good size bear box and good fire ring with grate. Two picnic tables plus a couple sitting benches are there as well.

Things to note:
    1. Make sure you check ALL of your pockets before claiming your phone is lost.
    2. Hang your boots up so the porcupines don't get them.
    3. Don't believe anything Carl says.
    4. Caprica is cute as hell.
    5. Trailz is a fire master.
    6. Sleds work much better than wagons in snow.
    7. Liz can make those cranberry muffins anytime.

Shared Google Photo Album: https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...tYeTd0SjlKMllB
    ◘ May 17-19: BACONFEST @ Interstate WI SP ◘ Oct 3-6: miCHILIgan @ Middleville, MI ◘ YouTube: karlawithak216 ◘ Instagram: i.am.karla.with.a.k ◘ 99 months

Images
    Glad you guys had a good time and fair weather. How much snow was there?

I slept out last night in the backyard, no tarp, enjoying the cool air, but the sky was not very clear. No snowfall, just a bit of residual on the ground since Friday morning. I believe it was the coldest night of the season so far, dipping into the mid 20's. Sounds like you had similar temps up north.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie 0* /Snugpak
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    More pictures:

https://flic.kr/s/aHskMch1e1

(google photos confused this old man)

Newport is such a beautiful park, and almost think a few of these photos actually do it justice!

Hammock
    WB XLC
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Nice pics! I guess nobody felt like taking a dip?!

Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 13 End Mods
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps

MUCH more snow than expected when we agreed to this location and date. First significant snowfall of the season. Almost a foot of snow already in Door County.

Not all trails are marked and we started off on the wrong trail and had to lift our sleds over a fallen log on the trail. Then we found the correct Fern Trailhead and the 10 minute walk was much easier.

Trailz is hard at work hauling wood to camp. Two wood bundles per person for the eight of us was just about the correct about of wood. Thank goodness for wheelbarrows!

There is one group site at the park. It's the only site with picnic tables. The bear box was nice for food storage. Numerous options for hanging your hammock. I would come back to this park in a heartbeat.

Saturday morning started out with a tour of hammocks and tents. Grumspiff is showing off his new Dutchware Chamelon. It was only his 2nd hang! Welcome to the hammock club!

Saturday afternoon brought a nice hike along the shores of Lake Michigan. The sun poked its head through the clouds long enough to dissipate the dreariness of the morning. (photo by Trailz)

Seriously, how epic is this photo of the bay looking out to Lake Michigan? (photo by Trailz)

Enjoying the chili Karla "with a k" brought (sorry Michigan Chili Hang folks)

EPIC photo of the night sky. This park is designated as a dark sky park and is known for its star viewing. (photo by Trailz)

Our group picture minus Liz since she is taking the photo. (photo by Trailz)

Packing out and heading home while the largest, fluffiest, most gorgeous snow flakes descend on us. Just enough to coat our gear with wetness and be annoying. Ahhh, the joys of winter camping!
    Last edited by Karla "with a k"; 11-12-2018 at 14:01.
    ◘ May 17-19: BACONFEST @ Interstate WI SP ◘ Oct 3-6: miCHILIgan @ Middleville, MI ◘ YouTube: karlawithak216 ◘ Instagram: i.am.karla.with.a.k ◘ 99 months

Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 13 End Mods
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    How much snow was there?
    I just read a report online saying there's just over a foot of snow up there.

Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 13 End Mods
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    Trailz:

Is this what you heard?

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie 0* /Snugpak
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Excellent photo story post! Thanks Karla "with a K".

Not quite the sound I heard (at all). The best way I can describe it is two clicks, like two small stiff hollow wooden sticks if you clicked them together. I heard it near the groud, I heard it up higher, I heard it all around. Now I'm starting to sound a little crazy. I'm sure interested to know what it was.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch Xenon Winter
    Insulation
    UGQ Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Trailz, some of those pictures are truly stunning. You are an awesome photographer.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Wookie 0* /Snugpak
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Me thank yee Grumspiff. It helps when the surroundings and people (and animals) are exceptional in nature.

Great meeting you and sharing your company for the beautiful weekend.

• + New Posts