Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    CC Ponderosa
    Insulation
    Sheltowee
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I'll reply to Kwpake and xMagnolia.

My plan was to go in on the Ely side. I'll keep that outfitter in mind and check them out further. The plan right now is to go up to Lac La Croix staying on the US side to view the pictographs then bob around that area for a couple days. Come back out and spend a day or two on the Hegman Lakes to view those pictographs.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon WB RR
    Tarp
    Dutchware Dyneema
    Insulation
    EE Rev HG UnderQui
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Buckle
    Images
    Great question, I too am planning a BWCA trip so I am eagerly following the responses. I have mostly lightweight backpacking gear and I notice the outfitters tend to have heavier stuff so I plan on mixing and matching. I was thinking of Snowbank so I could basecamp and hike. Good luck on your trip planning!

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    CC Ponderosa
    Insulation
    Sheltowee
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Ahh well then I'll make sure to carry a rod, any particular good lures I should absolutely include?

I drive by the Sauna place all the time. I'll pop in one of these days. I grew up in the UP right smack dab in the middle of the Ottawa National Forest and now I live in Ashland and I hate it. Trying to get out of town back to the country as fast as I can.

Quote Originally Posted by alifeoutdoors View Post
    I always carry a fishing gear in the BWCA Lot of northern as usual and a few bass, didn't really come across any lake trout or walleye unfortunately.

Ah yes, I see you're in Ashland, quite close then. I live in Iron River but work in Ashland, I'm the webmaster for that Sauna place out by Ashland Ford. I really would have preferred to live over here or on the peninsula where we were originally but we found land bordering the Chequamegon NF and the North Country Trail a little south of Iron River and I just couldn't resist.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    CC Ponderosa
    Insulation
    Sheltowee
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Thought I’d share something fun, this is Sigurd Olsen’s canoe that he used traveling the Boundary Waters while he wrote his books such as The Singing Wilderness. I got to visit it this past week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Each of us has an Up North. It's a time and a place far from the here and now. It's a map on the wall, a dream in the making, a tugging at one's soul. For those who feel the tug, who make the dream happen, who put the map in the packsack and go, the world is never quite the same." Sam Cook, Up North 1986

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Thunderf
    Lac La Croix is a great spot. Boulder Bay has a great camp site just south of the pictographs in the area. We crossed over to the Canada side while paddling to check them out.

You must bring a fishing rod! Lots of Northern pike and bass. We landed walleye in the channels between the northern islands on Lac La Croix. You really can’t go wrong. That whole loop is amazing.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Thunderf
    Also check out paddleplanner. They have great reviews on all of the campsites in the area.

http://www.paddleplanner.com/tools/m...eticomap.aspx#

Hammock
    Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    UGQ Penny Pincher
    Insulation
    Klymit Luxe
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    I really like the Sawbill area. Have done many trips out of there. The outfitter there is great, too.
    We have done a few trips up the Gunflint as well and really liked those but always feel drawn to Sawbill. I really don't think you can go wrong anywhere in the BWCA. I'll echo Treehopper and Shug - BWCA.com and Paddleplanner.com are great resources.

FF

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair/WB XLC
    Tarp
    SLD Trail Haven
    Insulation
    HG, WB and WL
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I did my first BWCA trip this past June. I had been wanting to make that trip for 20+ years and never should have put it off that long. It's a beautiful and majestic place worthy of exploration once a year or more. You may have already read it, but here's my trip report... https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...highlight=BWCA

I went in on the Gunflint Trail side with Rockwood Lodge & Outfitters. Great people to deal with should you ever go in on that side of the BWCA. I can't add much more advice or input than what others have said. I would only stress a few things...

1) Be prepared for the worse (rain, bugs, etc) and you'll be ready for anything.

2) Make sure your outfitter knows your plan (camping location, lakes you're going to be on, date of exit, etc). Of course plans change, but it's a good idea to let them know in case of emergency.

3) The lighter weight your gear is, the more pleasant your portages will be. I took a 65lb fishing kayak and on the portages I really wish I had rented a Kevlar canoe. However, while on the water paddling or fishing I was certainly glad I had the kayak. So you just have to figure out how important comfort will be if it's going to be more to carry.

4) Take a lot of pictures. You will look back through those pics a million times over the years and relive that trip time and time again.

5) Have a great time, be safe and post up a trip report here on the forums when you get back!
    -Jameson
    Proud Member of the North Country Trail Association-Hiawatha Shore to Shore Chapter
    http://www.northcountrytrail.org/

Story to be a thread hijacker but I'm also planning my first trip this summer... I'm leaning on my outfitter for the most advice but I have a question about him.

Is it customery to tip the outfitter? If so what is fair?

Hammock
    SLD Streamliner DL 1.1 Marpat camo
    Tarp
    AHE Shangri La
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 or HHSS
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JP_in_OK View Post
    Story to be a thread hijacker but I'm also planning my first trip this summer... I'm leaning on my outfitter for the most advice but I have a question about him.
    Is it customery to tip the outfitter? If so what is fair?
    We tip only the boat drivers for our shuttle, as we normally hire them to take us to a dropoff point that cuts out 1/2 day of paddling to get closer to the interesting stuff.
    My hiking/backpacking Youtube channel: Youtube

My BackpackGearTest reviews: Reviews

If you have an HH, then you should read my SuperShelter review: HH Super Shelter

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast