ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Yukon/ChillGorilla
    Insulation
    Quilts or MSS
    Suspension
    Straps
    Just as another follow up to my initial outing:

Went out this weekend under very similar circumstances/temps as my initial test. Temps were down to 34* per my thermometer. I did not get cold - in fact I was quite comfortable sleeping in just my boxers with the quilts and my 2QZQ UQP. The differences were that I wasn't sick, and hadn't had any NyQuil. I should also state that I made a slight adjustment in the hang of my UQ - I may not have had it tight enough before. I still feel like the 20* rating is a bit optimistic, but in low-30s I was quite comfortable.

Hammock
    Superior Gear, Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Webbing and buckle
    To come up with a rating of 20 degrees are there just 2 layers just sewn together?

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Yukon/ChillGorilla
    Insulation
    Quilts or MSS
    Suspension
    Straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Jd1983 View Post
    To come up with a rating of 20 degrees are there just 2 layers just sewn together?
    There is a second layer in the "middle" that makes it thicker. The thicker part doesn't run the full length of either quilt. After my most recent outing, I feel much better about the purchase, especially at the price point.

EDIT to add: That being said, you'd likely be cold at 20*. I was fine at 30*.

Hammock
    Dutch 11ft Netless
    Tarp
    Cheap Amazon one
    Insulation
    HG Econ Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Just stumbled across their site and pulled the trigger on one of their topquilts, curious why it's not mentioned more frequently as a budget friendly option.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Reading through the Etsy site and products specs these appear to be modified Double Black Diamond down throw blankets.. Costco Down Throw, aka CDT's. The basics are single layer and the Heat Seekers are simply doubled up throws.

Having made a bunch of them, I can tell you they are a great point of entry, but are something with a narrow window of effectiveness. The fabric is rather heavy. The fabric offers no moisture resistance which was my primary concern. They don't compress well. The fill power is 700 versus 800 or 850 to 950 in a good quilt. With many cottage vendors offering economy level quilts, I would strongly encourage saving for one of those, but if a CDT is the only way for you to go, and it will get you out in the trees.. go for it.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    Walahalla Monolite 1.5
    Tarp
    Dynemma Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Mt Washington
    Suspension
    Whoopies slings
    Images
    I've owned one of their top quilts since February and I've been very pleased with it. Most of the time it's too warm for me but I'm a warm sleeper to begin with. The construction is solid, the only thing I've done to it is to add a cam snap at the neck line.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Yukon/ChillGorilla
    Insulation
    Quilts or MSS
    Suspension
    Straps
    When I got my Heatseeker set, it was $200 for both TQ/UQ. Not a bad price at all to get you in the game with down. I'd say the temp ratings are quite optimistic, however. The Heatseeker would be good to about 30, tops. I'll consider it my 40 degree set. I got a HG econ set for Christmas, so that's my "cold" set.

Hammock
    Dutch 11ft Netless
    Tarp
    Cheap Amazon one
    Insulation
    HG Econ Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Got my Hangtight HotFoot TQ over the weekend. It's a warm little thing but I'll have to test it out on a trip and see how it fares. I imagine even if it is only rated to 40-50 degrees my 20 degree UQ will balance it out. Does pack down surprisingly small, especially compared to my old, cheap, synthetic, sleeping bag.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Me and my hiking partner both have his heatseeker sets which are 20° sets. They are awesome! Very well built and super warm. You can't beat them for $200 for the set

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    My own design.
    Tarp
    Thunderfly
    Insulation
    Home made quit set
    Suspension
    Homemade Whoopie
    I bought a Hotfoot set for myself and for my son the beginning of 2020. We live in SC and I was only planning on using this for 3 season backpacking. First trip was a car camping trip with the scouts in February. I knew this was rated at 40 and I was very cold when the temps got down to 36. I brought along a 20 Degree mummy (just in case) and used that to get some sleep. We have had problems with the underquilt staying in position. This was fixed for me when I made my own hammock and added pack hooks. Now it stays put and is quite comfortable all the time. I would say the 40 Degree rating is more of a survival temp than a comfort rating. It does check several boxes for me as it was a good price, packs down smaller than my mummy bag and the set comes in right at 32.13 oz for the set. Next project will be to make my own 20 degree quilt set so we can hammock camp all winter long.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast