Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear

Hang Tight Quilts

Do any of you have any experience with top and under quilts made by Hang Tight? All the reviews on thier esty page seem good but I'd like to hear from others who may have their product.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/HangTightS...D9Mh0K4TOgd13U
    Last edited by photographyfromthewilds; 11-09-2018 at 22:15.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    No offense meant, but if you can't figure out how to create a website, I'm not buying anything from you.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by photographyfromthewilds View Post
    Do any of you have any experience with top and under quilts made by Hang Tight? All the reviews on thier esty page seem good but I'd like to hear from others who may have their product.

If one can believe the Etsy site, he's been in business for two years and has 29 reviews, uniformly positive. The specs on the quilts seem mostly reasonable. He advertises a 700 fill power down in a full length quilt that's 80 by 50 inches and weighs 24 ounces. He specs it as a 15-20 degree quilt, which sounds about right, maybe a little optimistic. I think our more familiar vendors are using 800 fill power down or higher for the most part. It looks like it's got a sewn in footbox and I cannot tell much about the baffles, nor does he say much about them in terms of size or construction.

Several of the reviews sound genuine, like they were written by people who actually used the quilts in real weather.

All of this doesn't really answer your question, though. Given that the prices are quite low, maybe you'd be our test subject and order one?
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    Dutch Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch 12' Winter
    Insulation
    CRO, J'R'B
    Suspension
    Dutch web/ beetle
    Never heard of the site mentioned but doesn't mean it won't for an economy priced set. Let us know if you purchase a set to try out.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Raven
    Tarp
    UGQ WD 11
    Insulation
    HG/UGQ/EE/LL
    Suspension
    Straps & buckles
    In a comment on the Facebook Hammock Hangers Flea Market page, the maker of these quilts says they are modified down throws. I'm not suggesting this makes them a bad investment for the price but it is something a potential buyer should know.

Hammock
    Black Bird XLC, Chameleon, Draumr
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts/Pads
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by photographyfromthewilds View Post

These are made using the costco quilts, they cost $20. Double Black Diamond, the brand name, is listed in the product overview. I have one in blue, not very thick but I planned on adding more down to it. There are post on here and videos that show you how to turn these into topquilts and underquilts. Some require sewing and others use snap buttons.

Insulation
    Costco Quilts
    Quote Originally Posted by mehyatink View Post
    These are made using the costco quilts, they cost $20. Double Black Diamond, the brand name, is listed in the product overview. I have one in blue, not very thick but I planned on adding more down to it. There are post on here and videos that show you how to turn these into topquilts and underquilts. Some require sewing and others use snap buttons.
    This site was immensely helpful in modifying Costco quilts with a "no sew" option. I have done it both ways....I have 2 sets that are sewn and 2 that are snapped and I prefer the snapped underquilt design and then I used my sewn topquilts.

http://leiavoia.net/pages/hammock/geminiquilt.html

Hammock
    Black Bird XLC, Chameleon, Draumr
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts/Pads
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    Thank you! I have all the materials, I know what I'll be doing during my break. I like the layering idea.

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Yukon/ChillGorilla
    Insulation
    Quilts or MSS
    Suspension
    Straps
    I got the "heatseeker" set as a Christmas present. They are rated to 20* per the etsy site. I used them for the first time over the weekend. Temps got down to 30-32*. I started out in just my boxers. I quickly went to put on my poly base layer. Having said that, I was fine in the hammock but my back was still a bit "chilly". I wasn't freezing by any means and did manage to get some good sleep. However, I wasn't as warm as I'd hoped. In fairness, I should add that I have been sick for a week with head/sinus funk, so that could have an impact. I'm not going to give up on them yet, but I feel like the 20* rating may be a bit optimistic. Worst case scenario is I have a nice 40* set.

Hammock
    Dutch netless wide
    Tarp
    superfly
    Insulation
    DIY underquilt
    Suspension
    Dutch Spiders
    I recently bought a top and underquilt set from him. They are very well sewn and on my test run day hike they performed according to their temperature rating. I am not crafty, and as much as I would like to make my own gear to save money, I would just waste money on the materials needed to make my own because it would turn out terrible. So I’m willing to spend a little money for something that I couldn’t make on my own. I am not a winter hiker so the temperature rating doesn’t have to be spot on for me. I am happy with my purchase. It’s a perfect solution for someone like me.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast