Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

MI - 2019 5th Annual Green Timbers Big Tree Hang, Feb 21-24, Pigeon River Country

Time has flown by and this is the 5th year, so we hold true to our tradition and will return to our home base by the river in 2019. Our destination is Green Timbers, in the snowy Pigeon River State Forest, located 7 miles west of Vanderbilt, MI on the Sturgeon Valley Road.

The official date for this years hang is Thursday, Feb. 21 through Sunday, Feb 24th. I know a number of us will be arriving Thursday morning, but show up when you want...Last year, Squirrelbait made it a week long hang! There are miles of trails to explore in the tract, so bring your snowshoes. The river never freezes, so water is available. Lots of hanging spots are located nearby. FYI, you might want to bring some extra long tree straps, there are some big trees! The 2 mile hike in takes an hour on the 2-track and is mostly flat. Let's hope for snow, so pulks & snowshoes are recommended.

Bacon on the hour is a long-standing tradition with this crew, so come with a healthy appetite and enjoy a long weekend in the woods of northern Michigan. There will be a few cast iron frying pans, dutch ovens and big pots to purify water. Just a short list of some of the food from past hangs: venison, posada, sausage and gravy, farmer's breakfast, jambalaya, pheasant/wild rice soup, hot apple cider, coffee, chili, etc....

Post what you're bringing (food, group gear, etc) to google spreadsheet or when you respond to the thread:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Be prepared to feed a group of 10 (2 main courses per meal so everyone's food that they hauled in gets eaten). We had around 20 or so that attended and it's always a good time. An extra tarp shelter for base camp or a table is always needed. Wood gathering is a group effort with guys cutting, hauling and processing, so an extra saw or ax or two (or 3) would help move things along. A chainsaw always makes things go faster.

There is no fee for parking, but the lot is not huge and it can fill up fast. Please, carpool if you can. I also arrange for additional parking at the gas stations right off the exit. Details to follow. I'm also in touch with the manager of the Pigeon River State Forest to let him know of our plans. When the weather has cooperated, we used nearby Hare Road as the access point. It is not plowed or maintained in the winter. As we get closer, we'll have and update on snow condition and access.

Note: Since this is a winter camping expedition, be prepared for a variety of conditions. We've had lows of -26 and highs in the 50's. Snow, rain, sleet, and high winds are always a possibility. Dial in your gear prior to getting out there and know what your comfort level is. We want everyone to be safe and enjoy their time out there. Travel in two's (or three's and four's) if possible.

Getting there:
    From I-75, depart at exit 290 and head south for Vanderbilt. In town turn east (left) on Sturgeon Valley Road and follow it for 7 miles. The main entry to Green Timbers is the stonegate trailhead (on north side of road) on Sturgeon Valley Road, reached just before crossing the Sturgeon River. Location details (thank you Jim DuFresne)
    http://www.michigantrailmaps.com/member-profile/3/71/

Come on out and enjoy a weekend in the woods with friends! The price of admission is cheap: bring a pound a bacon and toss it in the pan and help out with the chores around camp. Looking forward to getting back north again to the Pigeon River State Forest for the 2019 Green Timbers Big Tree Hang!

Google Spreadsheet:
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Links to last 4 years of trip reports:
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...-February-2018
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...-Hang-Michigan
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...body-say-bacon
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...=green+timbers

Hammock
    Dutch 2.4 Hexon 11'
    Tarp
    DD 4x4, 5x5
    Insulation
    HG econ 0* UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Loop Straps
    Images
    Nice, was watching the snow fall this morning and wondering how soon the next thread would go live. Thanks MichDave!!

Update the DOC if you plan on coming.... >>> GREEN TIMBERS FEB 2019
    Last edited by Gregori; 11-09-2018 at 12:46.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    12' Trail Haven
    Insulation
    Greylock, EE Revel
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Have hammock and tarp, will travel winter roads! Will be submitting vacation request as soon as the new year rolls in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY Double layer
    Tarp
    UGQ Winterdream
    Insulation
    Dogger TQ/ DIY UQ
    Suspension
    buckles
    Images
    I’m in. Possible hot tent in the works.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Insulation
    UDQ TC/UQ
    Images
    Looking at this camp, should have new hot tent done.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by camp casey View Post
    Looking at this camp, should have new hot tent done.
    It'll be a hot tent city! I'll admit I'm a big baby when it comes to smoke. I don't have asthma or anything; just don't sleep well when it's blowing all over. I hung way the hell out of the way last year and still got smothered. I hate to bail but I'll probably head up the weekend before and take advantage of Presidents day off anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    It'll be a hot tent city! I'll admit I'm a big baby when it comes to smoke. I don't have asthma or anything; just don't sleep well when it's blowing all over. I hung way the hell out of the way last year and still got smothered. I hate to bail but I'll probably head up the weekend before and take advantage of Presidents day off anyway.
    Does that mean I have to take you out of my will and find someone else to pass along my hot tent and stove to? . Looking forward to getting back up to GT and those big trees.

Camp Casey: It was great reconnecting with you and your brother at the Gluttony. Glad you can make it!

Let's take a stroll back in time to the 2016 GT, with this video from the Pantologist (turn your speakers up loud! I love the scene of him firing up his MSR stove under his tarp at 3:09)
    Last edited by michigandave; 11-13-2018 at 08:28.

Hammock
    11’ Dogger hammock
    Tarp
    SLD winter haven
    Insulation
    HG incubator 0*
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by turkey View Post
    Looks good Ed!! I've been watching the radar since I'm heading up tomorrow after work just south of you. I may stop by GT later this week since I'll likely be all hunted out after a day or two.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    edge
    Insulation
    DIY down -40 to 40
    Dave sign me up. Right now zeroing in Vicksburg ms. Have over 1,100 miles in on my Mississippi river kayak paddle. Less than 400 to go. Will be done in time. Might even beat squirrel bait this year

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast