HG,Dutch,XLC ,RR
    Tarp
    Superfly, AH hex,
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Images
    I've been using my regular, Gathered End , 2QZQ UQP on my RR. Its just long enough to cover from bar to bar and has plenty of space underneath so it's not right against the UQ. To attach it, I just run the suspension around the tips of the bars that stick out and then adjust the cord locks in he middle of each side. I know ZQ now has a bridge -specific UQP, but if you already have the GE one, it works great w/o stressing the stitching due to the differences in hammock shape. I've also used a standard GI poncho modified with shock cord run through the hem on each side so it's tacked down on the ends and exits a small hole in the middle with a cord lock. This allows the ends to be sinched snuggly up against the hammock body. The hood is then tucked inside and tied off using the draw stings , and VIOLA! a 100% H20 proof UQP. The obvious down side is the potential for condensation build up, but if the hood is left free to hang below the hammock and the ends are not completely sealed against the hammock body , it mitigates this all most totally. The poncho I used to do this before I had my ZQ UQP was an older Desert Storm era poncho and about ¼ to ½ of the ( insert type ) coating that makes it H20 proof had randomly flaked off in small places around the hood and shoulder area. This increased the ability for condensation to escape while keeping it H20 proof on the sides and ends.... right where it mattered most. I used it durring the summer and fall with NO condensation issues at all, and I hang 50' from the Chesapeake Bay. It also fits my RR, but I haven't used it since I have the ZQ.
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

Images

toasty at about 30F with AHE Ridgecreek XL and SMR 30F TQ

Tested the Ridgecreek XL on a WBRR bridge last night, along with Sierra Madre 30F TQ, which I really like, I love it's hood.

I did not use the WB poncho/UQP. I started to because the temps were supposed to drop to the rating and I was afraid wind would make it worse. No tarp, as per most of my home testing. I am just barely covered by a high porch roof to keep off light rain. But if the wind is from the right direction, it comes in unhindered. Last night, wind was very light, so I left the UQP off.

Any way, bottom line, the temp was somewhere between 28-32 depending on which local weather station. I did wear a fleece jacket and warm pants, and VB socks as usual, just my normal nylon socks over the VB. So those layers might have helped a bit. Anyway, I was toasty, top and bottom, on my side or back. In fact, I noticed while on my side that I was about to over heat in my upper body, and need to vent. This 19 oz UQ is rated for 25, the 17.8 oz TQ for 30F, looks like both will make their ratings. All very comfy.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Tested the Ridgecreek XL on a WBRR bridge last night, along with Sierra Madre 30F TQ, which I really like, I love it's hood.

I did not use the WB poncho/UQP. I started to because the temps were supposed to drop to the rating and I was afraid wind would make it worse. No tarp, as per most of my home testing. I am just barely covered by a high porch roof to keep off light rain. But if the wind is from the right direction, it comes in unhindered. Last night, wind was very light, so I left the UQP off.

Any way, bottom line, the temp was somewhere between 28-32 depending on which local weather station. I did wear a fleece jacket and warm pants, and VB socks as usual, just my normal nylon socks over the VB. So those layers might have helped a bit. Anyway, I was toasty, top and bottom, on my side or back. In fact, I noticed while on my side that I was about to over heat in my upper body, and need to vent. This 19 oz UQ is rated for 25, the 17.8 oz TQ for 30F, looks like both will make their ratings. All very comfy.
    Update. 26F. None of my usual tricks such as VB clothing, UQPs(also no tarp but no wind) or space blankets. Cotton PJs, otherwise the only layer was a fleece jacket. The same nylon socks I had been wearing that day. A JRB 20F TQ and JRB hood(slightly warmer rating than the SMR TQ I used on the previous test. Very warm and toasty, almost too warm about 30-60 minutes into it. Considered removing fleece jacket but was too lazy. But the next morning, when it had warmed up to the low-mid 30s, I did hang a while without the fleece jacket and was perfectly warm.

So it appears this 19 oz Climashield full length UQ, designed for the WBRR bridge, easily meets it's rating for me, and maybe some unknown # of degrees lower before I even have to start with my tricks to boost the warmth.

Images
    BB, that's similar to my best test of the Ridge Creek XL 3S. 20° TQ, similar base layers, and no other insulation, UQP, or other tricks. I didn't even use a tarp, in fact. Steady 25° temps with no significant breeze, and I stayed comfortable throughout. I'm guessing I could have gone down to 20°, but it's hard to guess how much lower before I would have started getting cold after a few hours of inactivity.

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Back in the day, when I had a WBRR my the UQ I had for the hammock was a AHE Ridgecreek. Great UQ when I didn't want to use an inflatable pad, and at a great price point. Never had to worry about sodden down and at that price I didn't have to worry to much what could go wrong. Now that the WBRR has gone on to please a new owner I am able to use either the Ridgecreek or Phoenix 3/4 with my 90 degree hammocktent.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    BB, that's similar to my best test of the Ridge Creek XL 3S. 20° TQ, similar base layers, and no other insulation, UQP, or other tricks. I didn't even use a tarp, in fact. Steady 25° temps with no significant breeze, and I stayed comfortable throughout. I'm guessing I could have gone down to 20°, but it's hard to guess how much lower before I would have started getting cold after a few hours of inactivity.
    Good to know, that tells me that the rated low temp of 25F is solid and maybe even a bit conservative. I was a warmer sleeper, warmer natured in general 30 years ago, so it's not like am a human furnace anymore, not at 71. So I'm thinking the average younger male could do at least this good, though even the young folks vary, of course. I also pretty well know that I can go a whole lot lower by adding VBs/space blankets, pads and layers. And UQPs if wind is a factor. Again, not bad for a 19 oz synthetic quilt, IMO. I was actually quite surprised at how warm I was, head to heel, though my poorly compressing fleece jacket probably added some.

Do you need any sort of neck pillow when sleeping on your back in the RR? I was totally warm and comfy on my back, except for some minor neck issues, which was the only thing that finally caused me to go to my side.(still just as warm, though)
    Quote Originally Posted by OlTrailDog View Post
    Back in the day, when I had a WBRR my the UQ I had for the hammock was a AHE Ridgecreek. Great UQ when I didn't want to use an inflatable pad, and at a great price point. Never had to worry about sodden down and at that price I didn't have to worry to much what could go wrong. Now that the WBRR has gone on to please a new owner I am able to use either the Ridgecreek or Phoenix 3/4 with my 90 degree hammocktent.
    I guess you put that quilt on top of some sort of pad to give the hammock structure? Even though that hammock can be used without a pad, I realize. But I would be surprised if that UQ adequately filled the HT90's pad pocket, without a pad or something else. Anyway, are you using anything along with the Ridgecreek quilt?

Images
    I find I can get a decent amount of neck support from that fabric ridge at the head end of the RR, but I have a small down pillow from Hammock Gear that I usually use in most hammocks, regardless of the hammock style. I'm not sure if you were talking about warmth or support. I don't recall warmth being an issue, but again, I use that down pillow most of the time.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    I find I can get a decent amount of neck support from that fabric ridge at the head end of the RR, but I have a small down pillow from Hammock Gear that I usually use in most hammocks, regardless of the hammock style. I'm not sure if you were talking about warmth or support. I don't recall warmth being an issue, but again, I use that down pillow most of the time.
    I was talking about neck support. That is the first time I really noticed that issue in that hammock. Maybe I simply was not close enough to the head ridge.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234