Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 38
  1. #1
    Senior Member BillyBob58's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Tupelo, MS
    Posts
    10,432
    Images
    442

    First impressions AHE Ridge Creek XL: Wowza!

    OK, I probably should not give this report until I have been able to do some testing near it's 25F rating, I realize. But it is just so nice! It is probably the most custom fit out of the box(literally, arrived about an hour or 2 ago, set up the WBRR, opened the box and clipped this on) I have ever before seen in a hammock product, certainly at least equal.

    I not unexpectedly felt luxurious warmth ( within a few minutes of it having been stuffed for a couple of days during shipping) on the back of my head, back, butt, legs, heels. But, hey, it is only 55F, though with some wind chill and probably 99% humidity, no sun, just dark clouds. But I will have to wait at least a few days to put it to the test to see how it does for matching it's rating.

    But, considering many have reported favorably on this 6 oz.sq.yd. Climashield Apex at AHE's 25F temp rating, and considering I did high 40s fine with a mere 2.5 OSY with the older CS XP in a WB Yeti, I'm not really expecting any problems. But, you never know. But first impressions are excellent. It appears to have some elastics built into the quilt, which I believe is some sort of differential cut, and it seems to- with zero adjustments, just clip it on- snug right up against the occupied hammock, snug against most of my head to heel(at 6"1", probably will still need a pillow to insulate part of my head, but I need one for side sleeping any way). When I switch to side/fetal, insulation seems to be snugged adequately up against my knee and butt. As far as I am able to tell so far. This looks extremely promising. Also, I think it is right purty.


    Here it is in it's stuff sack beside 1 liter water. I noticed I was able to compress it down a good bit further without too much effort. Weight in the stuff sack on my scales: 19.3 oz. What! A synthetic full length 25F rated only 19.3 oz? Not too shabby! Yes, I know down would save me a few more oz and a bit of bulk, but still not too shabby IMO.



    I look forward to an actual cold weather test. Also, I have a WB poncho that converts to an under cover or UQP for the WBRR, so I also look forward to finding out if that will function well.

  2. #2
    Member baldknobber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Ozarks
    Hammock
    WB, DH, SLD
    Tarp
    ZPacks, Thunderfly
    Insulation
    EE, Warbonnet
    Suspension
    Spider 1.5/Beckett
    Posts
    98
    Great bang-for-the-buck under quilt. I bought a Jarbidge as a beginner under quilt, but because it’s so easy to set up, and the way it has always kept me warm, I’m finding myself putting it in my pack more often...

  3. #3
    cmc4free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    1,721
    Images
    81
    Thanks for posting. I have been on the fence about getting the Ridge Creek XL 3 season or a full length 3 season Lynx. Your post helped make up my mind and I just jumped on the AHE.

    Even though I'm not really a camo guy, I used some of the money saved by not choosing the Lynx to upgrade the Ridge Creek to Hexcam Wasteland.

  4. #4
    Senior Member BillyBob58's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Tupelo, MS
    Posts
    10,432
    Images
    442
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    Thanks for posting. I have been on the fence about getting the Ridge Creek XL 3 season or a full length 3 season Lynx. Your post helped make up my mind and I just jumped on the AHE.

    Even though I'm not really a camo guy, I used some of the money saved by not choosing the Lynx to upgrade the Ridge Creek to Hexcam Wasteland.
    Yes, I also strongly considered that Lynx, that would be a very good alternative. I'm sure many would think it is even better, being down and all. But though I have plenty of down and am a fan, I also personally feel Climashield has it's own advantages that can sometimes outweigh the down's advantages. I guess I am about equally a down and synthetic guy. But many feel the opposite. For me it's pros and cons.

    But, this thing sure does fit superbly, and if nothing else there is a price advantage. Kind of like the old Pea Pods, I don't recall seeing any reports of people being cold above the rated temp in these AHE Climashield quilts, like the Jarbidge.

  5. #5
    Chesapeake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Carpenters Point, Maryland
    Hammock
    HG,Chameleon ,RR,
    Tarp
    OMW, AH hex
    Insulation
    HG, Snugpak, SLD
    Suspension
    Whoopie Ti toggle
    Posts
    2,106
    Images
    9
    I see one of these in my future, it looks great! I've rigged my DIY Snugpak Jungle Blanket UQ up to my RR, but I'd rather have a dedicated UQ for it in synthetic to go with the CDT Lynx clone I also have. Living right on the water like I do, I use my synthetics heavily year round and the diy UQ is only a 50 ish so having one of these in 3 or even 4 season would be ideal. Let us know how it does as you continue to use it!
    " The best pace is a suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die." ~ Steve Prefontaine

  6. #6
    cmc4free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    1,721
    Images
    81
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Yes, I also strongly considered that Lynx, that would be a very good alternative. I'm sure many would think it is even better, being down and all. But though I have plenty of down and am a fan, I also personally feel Climashield has it's own advantages that can sometimes outweigh the down's advantages. I guess I am about equally a down and synthetic guy. But many feel the opposite. For me it's pros and cons.

    But, this thing sure does fit superbly, and if nothing else there is a price advantage. Kind of like the old Pea Pods, I don't recall seeing any reports of people being cold above the rated temp in these AHE Climashield quilts, like the Jarbidge.
    I agree with your points. I was not terribly concerned about the potential weight penalty of this synthetic quilt versus down options. The Ridge Creek XL is only about 2 oz heavier than the FL 3 season Lynx and actually it's several oz lighter than my 20* UGQ Zeppelin with overstuff.

    The Ridgerunner is my heaviest hammock because of the bars and being double layer, but I think the combined weight of the RR plus this AHE quilt will be comparable to one of my GE hammocks plus bugnet plus Zeppelin. I will probably use the RR every time I go kayak camping now, so the synthetic insulation will be a welcomed addition to those situations, being around the water, on islands, etc.

  7. #7
    cmc4free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    1,721
    Images
    81
    Quote Originally Posted by Chesapeake View Post
    I see one of these in my future, it looks great! I've rigged my DIY Snugpak Jungle Blanket UQ up to my RR, but I'd rather have a dedicated UQ for it in synthetic to go with the CDT Lynx clone I also have. Living right on the water like I do, I use my synthetics heavily year round and the diy UQ is only a 50 ish so having one of these in 3 or even 4 season would be ideal. Let us know how it does as you continue to use it!
    If I am not mistaken, AHE only offers the Ridge Creek in 3 season (25*) and 1 season (40*). Maybe they can do a 4 season as a custom; I am not sure.

  8. #8
    Senior Member BillyBob58's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Tupelo, MS
    Posts
    10,432
    Images
    442
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    If I am not mistaken, AHE only offers the Ridge Creek in 3 season (25*) and 1 season (40*). Maybe they can do a 4 season as a custom; I am not sure.
    I believe you are correct. If I need to boost this below the rated temps, I might like to try my old HHSS approach. I.E., lay a space blanket between quilt and hammock( and/or VB clothing), with the WB poncho/UQP under the quilt. Or, if I am going beyond it's capabilities, just slip a torso sized CCF pad into the pad pocket. Or some combo of the above. I bet this will allow me to get well beyond the rating. If nothing else, the WB Poncho/UQP will stop the wind from robbing the warmth. I can't wait to try that.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Hammock
    Warbonnet RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    AHE UQ / EE TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing / DC
    Posts
    51
    I picked one up a few weeks back during the sale and it's really a great fit. I haven't had it out in the field yet but I'm looking forward to a test run, hopefully this month...

  10. #10
    cmc4free's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    1,721
    Images
    81
    According to the AHE website, the quilt has a definite inside and outside, as well as a definite head end and foot end. That makes sense, of course, due to the shape of the RR.

    Are the mini-biners on the head end different color than those on the foot end, or is there any other marking to differentiate head from foot?

  • + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

    Similar Threads

    1. FS: Ridge Creek XL 1S, Ridge Creek XL 3S, Spindrift
      By Just Tom in forum [SOLD/WITHDRAWN] Items no longer available
      Replies: 7
      Last Post: 09-06-2018, 14:56
    2. FS: Warbonnet Ridge Runner W/Pole Bag & KAQ Ridge Creek XL UQ
      By millergear in forum [SOLD/WITHDRAWN] Items no longer available
      Replies: 5
      Last Post: 05-22-2018, 14:33
    3. FS: Warbonnet Ridge Runner w/ KAQ Jarbridge Ridge Creek XL UQ, Pole Bag & Catch All Sack
      By millergear in forum [SOLD/WITHDRAWN] Items no longer available
      Replies: 4
      Last Post: 05-21-2018, 06:20
    4. Ridge Creek XL initial impressions
      By johnspenn in forum Arrowhead Equipment (Home of Kick Ass Quilts)
      Replies: 6
      Last Post: 12-15-2017, 13:18
    5. Replies: 0
      Last Post: 07-16-2015, 10:56

    Bookmarks

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •