Hammock
    WBRR/WBXLC
    Tarp
    SF, Mamajamba, CB
    Insulation
    Wooki; Ridge CK XL
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopies
    A couple of weeks ago it got down to 27* in Conroe, Texas with a nice breeze. Used the Ridge Creek XL with tq and wore only shorts, t-shirt, and light weight windbreaker. Was nice and warm in the RR. This was with the 3 season Ridge Creek XL.
    Last edited by dwdavis; 11-21-2018 at 21:01.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dwdavis View Post
    A couple of weeks ago it got down to 27* in Conroe, Texas with a nice breeze. Used the Ridge Creek XL with tq and wore only shorts, t-shirt, and light weight windbreaker. Was nice and warm in the RR. This was with the 3 season Ridge Creek XL.
    Thanks for the info! Sounds like you can easily get to the rating of 25F. Did you have that breeze blocked with a tarp?

Images
    I believe it did get down to 25 last night (+/- a couple degrees), and I experienced a comfortable night's sleep. Breeze was minimal, which was good, as I mentioned having not set up a tarp or UQP. No cold spots which would be indicative of small gaps between the quilt and hammock.

I would say for me, the 25 degree rating is just about right. I may have been comfortable a few degrees cooler, but not much further than that. I wore thin baselayers plus a set of fleece layers, wool socks, balaclava, and down beanie. 20 degree down topquilt.

I was most concerned about my heels because of the cut of the quilt, but honestly my feet were warm all night with 1 pair of socks and no supplemental pad. I did my best to keep my heels from hanging over the end of the UQ, and that seemed to work.

The breeze picked up a little just after dawn, and I could feel a slight loss in warmth, but not enough to be cold. I got up to water the flowers a short while later, and decided as an experiment to slip the Therm-A-Rest Z-Lite pad I had on standby between the hammock's double layers. It took a few minutes for the pad to warm up, and once it did, it really didn't feel a whole lot warmer than I was through the night with just the UQ, but the breeze was less noticable.

Basically no problems at all, and I was right at the quilt's rating of 25 (80% humidity). However, I don't think I could push it too much lower without supplementing somehow.

Long winded post, I know, but I know how much you like detailed posts when it comes to insulation BillyBob.
    Last edited by cmc4free; 11-22-2018 at 10:29.

Hammock
    DIY Hexon 1.0, Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    HG UQ's, EE TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Sounds like a great piece of gear, and a great value!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    I believe it did get down to 25 last night (+/- a couple degrees), and I experienced a comfortable night's sleep. Breeze was minimal, which was good, as I mentioned having not set up a tarp or UQP. No cold spots which would be indicative of small gaps between the quilt and hammock.

I would say for me, the 25 degree rating is just about right. I may have been comfortable a few degrees cooler, but not much further than that. I wore thin baselayers plus a set of fleece layers, wool socks, balaclava, and down beanie.

I was most concerned about my heels because of the cut off the quilt, but honestly my feet were warm all night with 1 pair of socks and no supplemental pad. I did my best to keep my heels from hanging over the end of the UQ, and that seemed to work.

The breeze picked up a little just after dawn, and I could feel a slight loss in warmth, but not enough to be cold. I got up to water the flowers a short while later, and decided as an experiment to slip the Therm-A-Rest Z-Lite pad I had on standby between the hammock's double layers. It took a few minutes for the pad to warm up, and once it did, it really didn't feel a whole lot warmer than I was through the night with just the UQ, but the breeze was less noticable.

Basically no problems at all, and I was right at the quilt's rating of 25 (80% humidity). However, I don't think I could push it too much lower without supplementing somehow.

Long winded post, I know, but I know how much you like detailed posts when it comes to insulation BillyBob.
    You know I do, evidenced by my infamous long winded posts, especially re: insulation! (and you call that long winded? Amateur! ) And thanks for this quick report, it was the first thing I checked for this morning with coffee! LOL!

And I'd say your results were just about perfect! Very interesting indeed that at 80% humidity and with a slight breeze, you were warm enough, and that when the breeze picked up, you didn't actually become cold. Even though you could clearly tell the dif. Also fascinating that the pad didn't really make you feel all that much warmer than earlier, before the breeze picked up, simply stopping the wind from having such an impact.

There was a bunch of wind(10+ mph) when I was doing my earlier testing right about or just above 30, but the difference was so noticeable on the big gusts- and really even on the lesser but still significant steady wind- that even though I knew the cause I couldn't help but wonder if this was going to be warm enough at it's rated temp. I placed a WB Ponchho/UQP on it, and that was a big help. But, it stands out from the sides of the UQ a good bit, and my tarp was pitched so high- and I was too lazy to change it- and I swear the wind would come in over the top of me, turn down and I suspect it was sill having some affect on the warmth, even if not as much. Or at least I imagined that it did, when the UQP would be flapping in the wind I suspected some sort of bellows action was going on. It seemed to work better if I put something in the RR pockets with them outside the UQP, which would hold the UQP sides a bit closer and reduce flapping.

Re: the heels: I am 6'1", and if my head is on the built in pillow area, I'm pretty sure my heals are well covered, but the top 2 or 3" of my head are not, so I will need some sort of pillow. But, I need one any way for side sleeping. I have though considered slipping down a bit more towards the foot end and letting the back of my head be insulated, and just slipping a small pad under my heels when needed. When I did this, I didn't notice any lack of snug fit on the head end, unlike some UQs I have used that really require the UQ to be no higher than my neck to shoulders line unless I want some venting. It was still a perfect gap free fit as far as I could tell from the inside. And like you, my heels didn't seem bothered with just thin nylon socks. But, it was above 30.

Thanks for the test, looks like it is for sure a 25F UQ for you, maybe with a few degrees to spare if all the wind is blocked. Not bad for 19-20 OZ, full length synthetic!

Images
    I suppose had I tested longer with the Therm-A-Rest pad, it would have gotten warmer over time. But in the time I was there on the pad, it's not as though I went from neutral warmth without the pad to above-neutral warmth with it. I'd say it took at least 5-10 minutes for me to get back to my original level of comfort once I added the pad. But I was outside in the elements for 5 minutes while wetting the ground and then putting the pad in, so I lost considerable body heat during that time.

If I had thought it would be more windy, I would have set up a tarp, and would have needed it. I don't own a Spindrift for the RR and don't really intend to get one. Not a real big fan of top covers or being enclosed like that due to the added condensation, but that's a whole 'nother rabbit hole of discussion for you, I know.

Images
    Putting stuff in the RR pockets to shield the wind a bit from getting between the hammock/UQ/UQP is a good idea. I may try that in the future. I did have stuff in one pocket, but it was on the lee side of the breeze.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    Putting stuff in the RR pockets to shield the wind a bit from getting between the hammock/UQ/UQP is a good idea. I may try that in the future. I did have stuff in one pocket, but it was on the lee side of the breeze.
    Do you have an UQP that fits the RR? Mine is not the Spindrift, but a sil-nylon Poncho that is deigned tp perfectly fit the RR as an UQP. The hood serves as a drain for any condensation. But, if I continue to use it- which means I might want to commit to using it as rain gear for dual purpose- and condensation is a problem, I would probably add a space blanket on top of the quilt like I do in my HHSS. But, it is such a roomy fit the condensation may not be a real problem, not contacting the quilt and getting it wet. Time will tell.

Images
    Here are some pics I took the other day while on a hike. Very comfy and warm, but it was not very cold:
    this is the head end of the occupied hammock. I stuck the phone back there in selfie mode, while I was on my back, and gave it a try, shooting blind. You can see that the fit is pretty perfect and snugged up agaunst the head end of te hammock, with the hammock occupied. The dark thing under the quilt to the right is a filled saddle bag, and my boots, and a hiking pole:

Sorry for my face in this, but had to do it in order to get the pic with hammock occupied(I'm by myself) but here you can see the side fit is also pretty perfect with me on my side:

And a slightly different position and angle. Look at that fit! :

Here I leaned to one side and tried to get a picture of the foot end fit, trying to show how it stays snugged up when occupied(no adjustments needed, or possible), though I really needed some one else taking a picture of the foot end while I was laying in a normal position, side and back:

Other side:

This is as good fit as I have ever seen- maybe THE best- right out of the box with no adjustments or fiddle factor.
    As far as I can tell, there are not even any tiny gaps head to heel. I.E., it feels like it is warm and snugged up at every point along the hammock bottom, but I can not know for sure.

Last edited by BillyBob58; 11-22-2018 at 21:12.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Do you have an UQP that fits the RR? Mine is not the Spindrift, but a sil-nylon Poncho that is deigned tp perfectly fit the RR as an UQP. The hood serves as a drain for any condensation.
    No I do not. I was aware of the WB poncho product but have never seen it in person. That could be something for me to consider in the future. I do like dual purpose items, and was not aware of the dual purpose of the hood when used as an UQP. While I don't think I'd ever want a Spindrift, this could be something I'd entertain.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast