Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC 2.0
    Tarp
    WB Mambajamba
    Insulation
    Down quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Hasn't happened to me yet. If I know for sure there won't be trees where I'm camping, then I take a tent instead--but that's rare. In the Pacific Northwest, more often the bigger problem is finding trees that are small enough to wrap my straps around. ;-)

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB MountainFly
    Insulation
    Magma + Incubator
    Suspension
    Beetle
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardDavies View Post
    Hasn't happened to me yet. If I know for sure there won't be trees where I'm camping, then I take a tent instead--but that's rare. In the Pacific Northwest, more often the bigger problem is finding trees that are small enough to wrap my straps around. ;-)
    I hear ya on that front. I had to double up a pair of ENO Atlas straps on a trip this year inside Mt. Rainier NP.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC 2.0
    Tarp
    WB Mambajamba
    Insulation
    Down quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Yeah, I had to start carrying a set of amsteel dog bones to extend my straps for the big trees. They've saved me more than once.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Bridge
    Insulation
    DIY Down
    Being forced to ground because of no trees does sound more like bad planning, so it is not surprising that this isn't a very common occurrence in a group that has this much experience.

In a group setting, where you have traveled into the piney woods (canoe/portage) and you don't have an easy exit .... being forced to ground isn't fatal, but it can make for a very unhappy camper. On a trip last year, one of the guys had a catastrophic hammock failure in the middle of the night. As group we just didn't plan for this type of gear failure, so after a cold night for the individual, we had to head out early. The UQs are pretty much useless on the ground, so although he went to ground, a pad would have made it workable instead of freezing ...

We have shifted our paradigm to plan for gear failure, a bit of extra amsteel for rigging, adding a 5 cm Exped downmat to my gear list .... 2 small items that allow recovery from pretty much any expected gear failures (mat for going to ground, amsteel for rigging, duct tape already on list for tears/leaks etc).

So being forced to ground is something I plan for now, not crazy, but enough to not have to leave a trip early ...

Brian

Hammock
    DIY 10' Robic 1.2
    Tarp
    Gorilla Fortress
    Insulation
    HG Econ 20 Incu
    Suspension
    Straps w rings
    Images
    Not ever on a backpacking trip. Once on a car camping trip early on in my hammock career. Once a year I go to ground at a fundraiser in a local park that doesn't have available trees, only for one night. Only because I don't trust my DIY turtle dog build (my build ) not the design itself. I'm putting in a budget for a Tensa stand to resolve that problem.
    Lucky me, lucky mud. - Kurt Vonnegut.

Hammock
    ridgerunner
    Tarp
    superfly
    Suspension
    buckles
    I, too, am always concerned. Perhaps, this just shows my inexperience in the area of backpacking and site selection.

I was lucky to have a car-camping site with a pair of trees at Colorado Bend State Park in Texas. However, I jogged through the park to investigate primitive camping options, but to no avail. The trees were all thin and small -- cedar trees, I think. Even car-camping sites had limited hangable trees.

During my road trip to New England, I was often slightly stressed at the thought of breaking out the tent in rainy weather. I slept in the vehicle in Charlottesville due to the torrential storm in Shenandoah NP and in Arkansas due to excess humidity, mosquitos, and bees in Memphis, TN. I hung at all other campsites at the risk of seeming high maintenance with the front desk. I wouldn't sleep in my hatchback again unless I find a better way to be comfortable. This led me to search for a nice fully loaded SUV with standard transmission and a great stereo without any luck.

If I do not arrive at car-camping sites early enough, I often fear that I will have no hangable trees. The National Forests in Texas also seem too dense for hanging; thus, my never-ending anxiety about planning a backpacking trip. Perhaps, I will finally take the plunge before Spring begins.
    Last edited by W8lkinUSA; 11-10-2018 at 10:19.

Hammock
    Mackinac Bridge
    Tarp
    DCF
    Insulation
    Grey Goose Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    Trees wouldn't be the issue for me. A huge failure like a strap tearing could do it. If I couldn't rig something to get by I would almost rather head back to the car, even at midnight and 5 miles out. Either call it, or get to the nearest town to buy some fixin supplies.
    That is what I would do as well. I'm not sleeping on the ground again. Ever.
    "Behold, as a wild a** of the desert, go I forth to my work." -- Guerney Halleck

Hammock
    Half-wit (3 season), Chameleon (win
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Runner View Post
    That is what I would do as well. I'm not sleeping on the ground again. Ever.
    There are too many places that I still want to hike where hammocks would be near impossible that I don’t think I could say “never.” As it stands now, I’m not likely to use a tent again, but if I get an opportunity to hike somewhere that hammocks aren’t practical I’m not passing it up just to stay off the ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Hammock Gear - 1.6 with Net
    Tarp
    UGQ - WD 12'
    Insulation
    HG Burrow + Incub.
    Suspension
    Straps + Buckle.
    I like camping on exposed ridges sometimes. Carry a 3/4 pad and just use your tarp staked out in an A-frame. No issues....

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser51 View Post
    Being forced to ground because of no trees does sound more like bad planning, so it is not surprising that this isn't a very common occurrence in a group that has this much experience.

In a group setting, where you have traveled into the piney woods (canoe/portage) and you don't have an easy exit .... being forced to ground isn't fatal, but it can make for a very unhappy camper. On a trip last year, one of the guys had a catastrophic hammock failure in the middle of the night. As group we just didn't plan for this type of gear failure, so after a cold night for the individual, we had to head out early. The UQs are pretty much useless on the ground, so although he went to ground, a pad would have made it workable instead of freezing ...

We have shifted our paradigm to plan for gear failure, a bit of extra amsteel for rigging, adding a 5 cm Exped downmat to my gear list .... 2 small items that allow recovery from pretty much any expected gear failures (mat for going to ground, amsteel for rigging, duct tape already on list for tears/leaks etc).

So being forced to ground is something I plan for now, not crazy, but enough to not have to leave a trip early ...

Brian
    There you go. Stuff happens. Like you now(from experience), I have always tended to be at least minimally prepared for not being able to hang, whatever the reason might be.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast