Page 27 of 38 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OneClick View Post
    I do the "frost bib" that you'll see Shug and a lot of others use. Absolutely necessary otherwise the area around your chin will be SOAKED after just minutes. Instead of clipping it to the ridgeline, I just have it over my face, or on my chest like an actual baby's bib. Just to cover that area of the TQ. Works great!
    That's my usual method too. I hated having something around my neck tethered to the ridgeline, so I went for the baby's bib approach as well.

On my Chameleon, which isn't my most-used hammock in the cold, I have the winter top cover with the "moonroof" or whatever it's called. That can kind of be rigged up similar to Dutch's breathalyzer, which in itself is an adaptation of the frost bib concept (main difference is it's attached between the hammock ridgeline and the D-rings on the inside of the hammock along the zipper). I prefer the simpler bib method though, and ideally without a top cover on the hammock.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cmc4free View Post
    I prefer the simpler bib method though, and ideally without a top cover on the hammock.
    I have a somewhat stiff fleece blanket material, so I sort of make a "tent" with it on top of my face.

1. Keeps condensation off most everything under the tarp
    2. Keep TQ dry
    3. Blocks light from the moon or if I'm sleeping in late
    4. Keeps my nose warm (that's a HUGE plus)

And a pic of the VB bag liner and my sweet $19 Casio (high roller)

Last edited by OneClick; 11-04-2019 at 12:29.

Images
    Just got this in. Nice quality, good length, REALLY ugly khaki/tan color. The seam isn't sealed so I wonder if those thread holes will leak enough body moisture to matter? I think I'll try it first then seal them if necessary since that will be easy.
    I seriously doubt it. I doubt that you will generate enough vapor condensed to water- or if you are too hot, produce enough sweat- to over come the ability of whatever layers you are wearing- assuming you are wearing anything- to soak it up. I don't think seams are sealed on my SWL stuff, and I am barely aware of any dampness inside the VB (unless exercising hard) for the most part. Of course, a liner bag may work different than clothing right next to the skin in that regard, I just don't know. I suppose I could generate enough sweat while hiking to get past any sock or shirt seams, but I have not managed to so far. But pretty rare for me to hike with the socks. Even wearing cotton shirts over the VB shirt and working up a sweat(on purpose, testing) while hiking, the shirt has remained bone dry. I'm always impressed.

I do the "frost bib" that you'll see Shug and a lot of others use. Absolutely necessary otherwise the area around your chin will be SOAKED after just minutes. Instead of clipping it to the ridgeline, I just have it over my face, or on my chest like an actual baby's bib. Just to cover that area of the TQ. Works great!
    That's my usual method too. I hated having something around my neck tethered to the ridgeline, so I went for the baby's bib approach as well.
    I suspect that bib hanging from the RL might be superior, though maybe not needed and less convenient and pleasant than the baby bib approach. I'm thinking here of all the people that hang in socks of various types and end up saying how much they suck, due to condensation problems. Then I'm thinking about the time I set my personal best(Don't laugh, but for us poor southern boys that was a mere 6F, plus no tarp and a bit of wind chill). I decided to put the HHSS with top cover to the test. I had VB clothing, plus a piece of fleece hanging from the RL close to my face. Though I was hoping this would greatly lessen the soaking the neck area of my TQ has often suffered, I still expected a good bit of condensation from being inside that over cover plus net, even with the 6" diameter vent hole. I woke up the next morning, after a toasty sleep with feet sweating inside my VB socks, to find my fleece bib quite wet, but not frozen at all. Every thing else in the hammock was bone dry.

I was pretty surprised, considering all the complaints I had read about condensation in hammock socks. I am thinking that bib not only kept my breath from condensing on my TQ near my mouth, but it also blocked any of it from moseying on down towards the foot end or any other part of the sock, and condensing on the sock/net. Would going baby bib style have accomplished that? (of course, that would not have even been an issue if I had not been inside that over cover) Whatch Y'all think? Any guesses on why I was so dry, and if baby bib style would have accomplished the same? Maybe, I don't know.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    I was pretty surprised, considering all the complaints I had read about condensation in hammock socks. I am thinking that bib not only kept my breath from condensing on my TQ near my mouth, but it also blocked any of it from moseying on down towards the foot end or any other part of the sock, and condensing on the sock/net. Would going baby bib style have accomplished that? (of course, that would not have even been an issue if I had not been inside that over cover) Whatch Y'all think? Any guesses on why I was so dry, and if baby bib style would have accomplished the same? Maybe, I don't know.
    Even if I block all my breath, and I'm sure I do, my foot end is always still frosted over like a freezer from the '30s. It's crazy how much vapor bellows out from the foot end of my UQ. Can't really seal it up airtight. I just brush it all off my hammock in the morning. At least it's solid at those temps and not really "wet".

Better than those damp 40° nights in a sense

Images
    BB -

I think a baseline approach would be to look at using no bib or blocker at all. (Aside: Looking at a person sleeping on their back, if they breathe through their nose, their breath is probably directed toward their feet; if they breathe through their mouth, their breath is probably directed mostly upward.) My own experience, as a back-sleeping nose-breather, is that with no bib/blocker, the wettest area of the TQ will be that closest to my head. The amount of moisture gradually diminishes along the length of the TQ, and at some point before the footbox it will usually be pretty dry (maybe not 100% bone-dry).

I believe that basic effect exists regardless of how enclosed your shelter system is (even with no net, top cover, sock, or even tarp). The amount of moisture in one's micro-environment is going to keep increasing as the area becomes more and more enclosed - firstly by adding just a tarp, then adding a bugnet, then swapping the net for a sock/top cover with a vent, and at the most extreme - a sock/top cover without a vent. I'm sure they help some, but I'm personally not too sold on the effectiveness of vents because, again, I'm breathing through my nose so the bulk of my breath vapor is directed toward my feet, not out a vent that's above or off to the side of my head. I'm pretty sure the vents aren't hurting the situation, but for me I don't think they're helping a great deal either. (It is nice to be able to see out, though.)

Back to bibs/blockers - the baby bib approach is going to act as a cover for the area of the TQ that's closest to my head. That's the area most affected by the moisture in my breath. The bib probably has no effect on the area beyond it, farther down the TQ, and there will still be some condensed moisture there. The area under the bib stays dry. Let's say of the total moisture that would have been on the surface of the TQ with no bib/blocker at all, maybe 30-40% of that hits the quilt with the baby-bib approach.

The blocker approach is bound to be more efficient because it's going to catch a greater amount of the moisture from one's breath than just a bib laying flat on the upper area of a TQ. I'd guess a bib hanging between the user's neck and the ridgeline is probably going to catch all but maybe 5-10% of the moisture. Personally though, I'm not a big fan of having that thing tethered between my neck and the RL, and I don't own a Dutch Breathalyzer, and the Chameleon top cover's "moonroof" is a little too fiddly for my liking (with its zippers and mitten hooks and such).

It does sound like OneClick is putting the bib up over his face - so his experience could be totally different. I use a bib in the same way a baby or Red Lobster patron would wear one.

I might give the hanging frost bib another try this year.
    Last edited by cmc4free; 11-04-2019 at 13:13.

Images
    Didn't Wilderness Logics used to make a TQ that had a fleece patch of material on top of the ripstop, near the head end? Sort of a built-in version of the baby bib approach.

Images
    Even if I block all my breath, and I'm sure I do, my foot end is always still frosted over like a freezer from the '30s. It's crazy how much vapor bellows out from the foot end of my UQ. Can't really seal it up airtight. I just brush it all off my hammock in the morning. At least it's solid at those temps and not really "wet".

Better than those damp 40° nights in a sense

Ah yes, but naturally that is where the glory of VB socks kicks in. On that night inside my HH over cover, since my feet were hot and sweating even at 6F( had wool socks and insulated booties over VB socks, inside the foot box of a 25-30F TQ), can you imagine how much vapor I would have been pumping out into my quilts foot box if I had not used VB socks? The folks at BPL always said that the first thing to collapse wit their down bags on longer trips was the foot box. But not with VB socks I bet.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    It does sound like OneClick is putting the bib up over his face - so his experience could be totally different. I use a bib in the same way a baby or Red Lobster patron would wear one.
    Yes, majority of the time. Works great, but I could understand if some felt claustrophobic. It's not 100% comfortable but the benefits I mentioned above outweigh everything else. Sometimes I'll just drape it over my chin/chest area to keep the TQ dry.

Images
    Yes, majority of the time. Works great, but I could understand if some felt claustrophobic. It's not 100% comfortable but the benefits I mentioned above outweigh everything else. Sometimes I'll just drape it over my chin/chest area to keep the TQ dry.
    It probably saves you from having to wear a balaclava, and with those, the ones that cover your nose are not too comfortable to wear all night long either. When I first started using a balaclava I had it over my nose all night and woke up in the morning with a surprising amount of pain there. It did reduce the amount of moisture on the TQ, with the trade off that I had a soaking wet piece of fleece covering my face.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I could never wear one of those sleeping. Maybe one of the really loose "hood" types, but not the skintight versions. Even when I wore those skiing I never really like it. A hat/buff does the trick for me.

My trip later this week won't be very cold, maybe 25° one night, so I'll take my "lite" version bib which is just a piece of t-shirt cut up.

• + New Posts
  • Page 27 of 38 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast